The Mighty Macs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mighty Macs Reviews

June 28, 2012
I watched about half of this movie before realizing I had seen it a million times before. It's your typical "underdog school team takes over the world" plot. Sure, it's nice that it's based on a true story. And the acting isn't bad... it's just that I've seen pretty much the same exact movie so many times before this one, that it couldn't really hold my attention. I couldn't force myself to sit through all of this.
½ June 26, 2012
Loved it. Corny, tame, inspirational and terrific. No, it's not the best movie ever made, but it's a fantastic true story. The kind of story we all need to see and hear as an antidote to a world of anger, conflict and negativity.
June 22, 2012
What a great inspirational movie! If you like sports/ basketball women lead movies...this is it! It's clean, funny, exciting, & moving. A must see. And it's based on a true story :)
½ June 19, 2012
The movie has its heart in the right place and means well but its as predictable as ABC and filled with cliches to the point of no return. Average movie all around.
½ June 5, 2012
I am a huge girl's basketball fan and this movie was just okay for me. Good idea, but just kind of eh.
June 3, 2012
Found another awesome movie.
½ May 28, 2012
Enjoyable feel good movie about one of the lst dominant teams in women's collegiate basketball
May 28, 2012
One of the better rentals I have seen in recent years
May 26, 2012
The Mighty Mac was a fast weird Sports movie....I think Gugino is the only thing why to see this flick.
½ May 23, 2012
Awesome movie!! Uplifting and inspirational movie!!
May 15, 2012
Funny showed I had rated, and I don't recal seeing it???
April 18, 2012
I do not agree with the stuffy critics who gave this movie only 47% rating. Our audience at The Colonial Theater applauded at the end of this upbeat movie, which was humorous and non violent. The dissenting critics should be ashamed of themselves for castigating this fine movie.
½ April 10, 2012
I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a great chance for Carla Gugino to stand out as a leading lady, and this is definitely an aspect to sporting history that has not been used much. Female sports. There are many movies about race and first time experiences for the world of sports with men, but not many for women. I thought the movie was both fun and serious. The only real problem I had with it was that some of the patterns were predictable and have been used before. When Team USA loses in Might Ducks 2, Bombay freaks out and punishes the team by making them do laps. That is a story line that has been used again and again. Eventually they will learn if I just drill them to death. Some of the best dialogue in the movie occurs between Shelton and Gugino. Another rent not buy movie.
½ April 8, 2012
I wanted to like it more, but the lead actress was just not likeable.
½ March 11, 2012
Trite and derivative.
March 10, 2012
When this is the only kid friendly movie available in Red Box in a blizzard in Colorado. It's worth it. Female Hoosiers.
March 6, 2012
Nice sports movie. Typical "root for the underdog" type, but well done. I have always liked Ellen Burstyn. She seems to really know how to pick decent movies to be in...this one is no exception.
½ February 29, 2012
It's a good movie that you can watch with your family on a boring Saturday afternoon. It's an inspirational story based on true events that, unfortunately, failed to keep up the excitement level for me. It could have been more engaging. I generally love movies that talk about committing to your dreams even in the most hopeless situations and I also enjov sports movies a lot. This is were my good rating comes from. Also, I enjoy G-rated movies sometime because they seem such a rarity. Overall, good choice for VOD-family TV session.
February 24, 2012
BRAVO, a diamond in the rough, a true gem! The Mighty Macs is an inspiring and uplifting true story about a young coach named Cathy Rush (played by Carla Gugino), and how she was able to bring the Immaculata College ‚Macs‚? to two national championships in women‚(TM)s basketball during the early 70‚(TM)s. Yes the rise of women's basketball amid the social and sexual turmoil of the 1970's. Cathy has an incredible passion to help the all-women Catholic college have a winning basketball team. Her husband, Ed (David Boreanaz), a coach himself, would like his wife to settle down and start a family with him. Mother St. John, (Ellen Burstyn) is responsible for hiring Cathy at a very low wage, no gym to practice in and hardly any funding. It is unclear if she wants Cathy to succeed or not, giving the story a bit of mystery. Folks this is one heck of a motion picture and any parents with daughters ought to watch it. Proves that with teamwork, practice, unity, faith and a great coach, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE! Added to my private collection and highly recommended!!