The Mill and the Cross - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mill and the Cross Reviews

½ July 22, 2015
What a truly remarkable accomplishment in terms of jaw-dropping visuals, but the problem is that Cinema is not Painting, and so Majewski is unable to transpose the symbolism of Bruegel's work to the screen without relying on an expository explanation of his intentions.
September 30, 2014
Simply a masterpiece.
September 23, 2014
at times slow...but for me always fascinating. i especially enjoyed seeing the peasants day to day life beautifully recreated. the concept of the painting coming to live still resonates in my mind...a wonderfully creative film....
April 24, 2014
An art movie about the 16th century's arts. It was based on the book of the same name which details the landscaper Pieter Bruegel's painting 'The Procession to Calvary'. A movie specially made for classical painting lovers.

The movie had very less talkings and everything should be learnt by watching the pictures which depicts painting like series of frames. So there's nothing much to talk about the movie. One of the best ever production designs. Frankly, I was less enjoyed due to lack of knowledge about Bruegel, but glad I saw it and come to know few things about 1500s culture through his paintings.

After all, I was not stranger to 'The Procession to Calvary' only by a few weeks before watching this movie. Recently I saw a movie called 'Museum Hours' and it helped a bit to understand this movie. In that movie a guide, an expert briefs in a scene about this painting and the reason behind it.

It was a very unique movie, which still won't exactly portray as it had happened. A glimpse about the idea of it might have been like that. More like an imaginary world created behind the magnificent art work. Not suitable for all, especially those who watch movies for entertainment should stay away from it.
October 29, 2013
Es mas bien una reflexion visual y analitica del cuadro de Brueghel "Cristo cargando la cruz", y poco más. Pretensiosa y a la vez sencilla, de una belleza visual poco usual y que recuerda las elucubraciones iconograficas de Peter Greenaway. No alcanza ningun drama, es una sucesion de imagenes y escenas vinculadas entre si que apelan al deleite de los sentidos. Yes lo que el autor pretendía, consiguiendo su proposito sobradamente.
½ October 6, 2013
Very interesting film-project. It only has three speaking roles, but one of those is strictly voice-overs, and I'd say this is the strongest performance of both Rutger Hauer and Michael York for, well, decades, as limited as those roles are. But mostly, this film places the viewer inside a painting. Indeed, it's more a collection of re-enactment scenes of the everyday lives of early 16th century Low Countries, than an coherent narrative in the traditional sense of the word. Between the first lines opening the film, and the next line, it's a long, long time, with mostly silent everyday work. That takes some getting used to. At the end of the day, it's really the stunning photography that carries the project - every frame is very beautifully shot, and so far from the typical Hollywood blockbuster fast-food-conveyor-belt movie making.
September 9, 2013
Rented "The Mill & The Cross," and I am looking forward to watching it. I will post my comments and views of the film, although I'm sure to like it as I really love art.
½ July 23, 2013
Risky Polish director Lech Majewski intended, nothing more and nothing less, introduce us to a table, in its creation, in his time, in its composition.
July 11, 2013
This is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen - the whole artistic process showing the lives of the ordinary people depicted in Pieter Bruegel's painting. It is different from anything I have ever seen - extremely violent, but with flashes of comic relief. Everything is included here: religion, politics, ordinary people's daily life, art.
½ June 30, 2013
Lacking the profoundness it so dutifully strives for, THE MILL AND THE CROSS is worth a look but expect a sometimes clunky, sometimes magnificent re-creation in moving pictures of Bruegel's The Way to Calvary. If it only it had more insight and depth, Majewski could have made a classic.
June 7, 2013
A fine magnificent movie like this never seen before ....... salute you Sir :)
April 29, 2013
A very impressive movie indeed! This movie tells the story of the making of "The Procession to Calvary" by Pieter Bruguel and the story inside the painting, by that I mean the events before the moment depicted in the painting and those after it. The movie is directed almost perfectly with a slow mesmerising pace that boost the awe and the epic feeling of the whole work. The camera angles are impressive. Every single shot is well thought and the blocking of the actors is simply unbelievable. Also the movie is filled with great special effects that make the painting look like reality and the reality look like a painting. The story touches many themes like the common man of the age, war, oppression and religion, all through the everlasting kaleidoscope of art. The cast is well chosen with Charlotte Rampling standing out as Mary the mother of Jesus (who would have thought!) and with Rutger Hauer applying the fundamental rule of acting: find it, express it, suppress it. You 'll really forget he was ever the hobo with the shotgun! All in all this is a masterpiece for the ages, comperable only to the original painting, that delivers like a documentary only much better.
½ April 17, 2013
A remarkable production design and a impeccable cinematography are the film, because aside of this values, the film is horrible, there is no story, there is no narrative, the sound is awful and non-existent characterization. A journey that explores so many hypnotic shots from a painting, but is just a visual fest that falls hard in all other level, is like the arthouse Transformers.
½ March 24, 2013
Wow! Put this movie on at 1am last night just to see a snippet and it hooked me. There's on,y about 6 minutes of dialogue in the whole thing but its never boring and the visual are amazing. If you ever wanted to see what it's like inside a painting this does it, the whole plot takes place inside one of the most famous paintings in history Peter Bruegel's the Way to Calvary.
March 21, 2013
A movie about a painting or the process of conceptualizing a painting -- quite interesting, very carefully put together and beautiful.
½ January 17, 2013
Provides a fascinating peek into 16th century life, combined with an imaginative and visually stunning "tableau vivant" of Bruegel's painting. The film also puts forward a certain theology of the cross (and of Holy Saturday) that is lacking in most "traditional" Passion films. In fact, the depiction of the Passion, Crucifixion, and Death of the Christ brings more theologically to the table than any of the more "realistic" depictions in film of the past 30 years.
½ December 16, 2012
ART: in every angle. Rampling's masterful gaze depicts: sorrow, beauty... cinema in canvas!
October 20, 2012
"Behind every great painting lies an even greater story"

Tengo que aplaudir el esfuerzo detrás de la producción de la película porque es impresionante todos los paisajes y sobretodo la fotografía lo cual le da un aire surreal e innovador. Nunca había visto nada que se le parezca, y tengo que admitir que si hubiera estado mal logrado no hubiera podido soportar la película ya que no hay guión y las escenas son lentas y confusas. Me pregunto si es porque no sé mucho de arte, y en las escenas habían simbolismo sobre la pintura original o sobre el pintor, pero no las entendí. Entiendo que estaban tratando de reflejar un ambiente surreal y una película con mucho movimiento no hubiera sido efectiva pero en momentos me sentí perdida y como que debía de estar entendiendo algo, y me sentí burlada unas cuantas veces. La palabra que más me vino a la cabeza durante esta película fue "pretenciosa".
La escena que más me causo emoción fue la última, donde la cámara se va alejando y revela el cuadro en una galería de un museo. No me arrepiento de ver la película ya que fue algo diferente, pero ojalá hubiera podido apreciarla sin sentirme que me estaba perdiendo de algo.