The Miseducation of Cameron Post - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Miseducation of Cameron Post Reviews

January 7, 2019
This movie brings a career best performance from Chloë Grace Moretz. It brings out all the feels and is a movie of sexuality and acceptance that we needed in the current political landscape
January 4, 2019
The characters are multi-dimensional and the director clearly takes an observers approach rather than championing a point of view. A fine film to begin a discussion on acceptance and conviction.
January 2, 2019
Like that movie, saw it two weeks ago, it's actual so much in our days ))) Recommend to watch it using boxxy software on your android phone or other device. It's free and very easy user interface.
December 26, 2018
Chloe's performance was so amazing in here. and the story are so realistic.
December 25, 2018
Desiree Akhavan showcases all her talents as both writer and director in her second feature film, being able to capture the sorrows and the bliss of the repressed youth, led by a mesmerizing performance from Chloë Grace Moretz.
December 23, 2018
Amazing acting. Chilling story of how adults seek to break children who dare to be themselves.
½ December 22, 2018
In what's essentially "Short Term 12" if it were run by homophobes, "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" is a dire look at the way gay conversion institutions manipulate teens into emotionally abusing themselves.
December 20, 2018
Another fine performance by Chloe Grace Moretz here. She portrays Cameron Post, a teen caught making out with another female in a parked car on their prom night, in 1993. Her religious aunt will subsequently send her off to a Christian same-sex attraction conversion facility for the purpose of dispelling her gay proclivities.

Lots of excellent performances in the ensemble cast and the characters came across as rich and real to me. Those performances are too numerous to mention, but Jennifer Ehle really creeped me out in her portrayal of Dr. Lydia Marsh, the Director of the facility.

All in all, not everything works here, but I found myself quite engaged in this indie, buoyed by its subtle humor and strong performances.
December 18, 2018
Almost all new released movies u can watch for free using boxxy software Also, they have Adult content
½ December 10, 2018
Equally effective if not as lofty as the similarly themed Boy Erased. The Miseducation of Cameron Post seeks to highlight the overwhelmingly negative effects gay conversion therapy has on those subjected to it-both mentally and physically. Unlike the Joel Edgerton film though, director Desiree Akhavan tends to underplay the heavy drama of it all and instead keeps the more serious, more dramatic elements of the story balanced with a surprisingly strong sense of humor and comedy. This isn't the heavy drama one might expect it to be given the subject matter, though it does go to pretty severe places, but instead of focusing solely on this aspect Akhavan and her actors are very clearly going for a rawness that favors a kind of broad honesty over precision of tone.

That isn't to say one film is better than the other-I actually liked them equally for very different reasons-but The Miseducation of Cameron Post certainly finds its distinction through the authenticity of its character's impulses it operates on and within. Whereas a film like Boy Erased finds a single aspect on this topic it's discussing and tells the story through that lens (a great way to make a movie, mind you) Cameron Post more desires to make this experience of a conversion therapy camp in 1993 something of a universal experience; fitting a topic not often discussed into the template of a coming-of-age film and therefore lending it a universality that will force a wider audience to acknowledge the cracks and hypocrisies in the system.

I'll also note here that the film is able to verbalize a feeling I've had for some time, but could never properly communicate:

"I guess every time I pray I kinda feel like I'm being phony."

"I think everybody can feel like that sometimes. I also think that those are moments where it's really important to lean back on your faith and trust that that'll take you forward."

"I don't think I really have any faith. At least, I don't really know how to go about getting it...or if I really want it."

For this I will forever be indebted to the film. I will also always be beholden to the film for reminding me Celine Dion's "Where Does My Heart Beat Now," is a song that exists.
½ December 8, 2018
12/9/2018
Chloë top bills in a story about a facility where homosexuality is taboo and eradicated. The same place also offered a chance for friendship with several outcasts as they try to correct their perceived deviance from the norm.
December 5, 2018
Already enjoyed this movie using boxxy software with german audio language. Recommend.
½ December 4, 2018
my parents kicked me out of my house because i watched the emoji movie
December 4, 2018
--SPOILERS--
As much as the film touched on real life situations regarding the various conflicts between homosexuality and religion together, the overall delivery of the story was a complete mess. It almost felt as though I was watching another typical lesbian movie that was only focusing too much on the soft-core sex that happened throughout, which was frustrating and annoying to watch because there's so much more to it than just the sex that happens between two girls. This is something that you'll commonly see in so many LGTBQ+ movies as well that it's just getting annoying to constantly see. From what I understood, the conversion of trying to turn Cameron back into a heterosexual caused her to only become even more sexually frustrated. Additionally, the part that puzzled me the most was including a suicide scene towards the end, and we're left with zero answers after that. There were other parts to the film that were left unanswered as well. Abrupt situations (the suicide, the running away etc.) disturbed the narrative flow. Overall, the movie could've done a whole lot better.
½ December 3, 2018
Un espíritu rebelde y adolescente, se toma las riendas de una historia conmovedora que cuestiona la religion con la libertad de expresión, Desiree Akhavan logra el balance perfecto en una historia muy particular.
November 27, 2018
While the movie misses some of the key points in the book, Moretz's performance shows her range and how diverse her acting can be, she demonstrates and gives true life to Cameron Post's thoughts and actions of a teenager battling to feel what she feels and explore that while also trying to keep the family she has left. This movie deals and somewhat achieves a conversation about conversion camps, religion and how intense these places can be, especially for young people who have yet to discover why people think it's so bad what they think and feel.

Though there's very little screen time for them, Moretz and Shepard light up the screen with their chemistry, it's always nice to see when actors can actually convey feelings into the screen. 4 stars for rhythm and missing key scenes.
½ November 26, 2018
It's a small movie and a very well-made one for that matter. The cast is excellent as are the photography and music, whereas the weighty subject matter results in several funny as well as uncomfortable moments. But what the film stands out for is the simple, unpretentious way it presents its multidimensional characters. Everything is on point throughout despite certain predictabilities in the story arc, in what is a resonant, complete cinematic experience punctuated by personality and precision.
November 23, 2018
The most touching and honest movie about discovering your sexuality as a teenager. So relatable to my own experiences. I have never watched a movie that depicted so well what happens behind closed doors for teenagers. It was passionate and funny, and yet, addressing some serious concerns regarding emotional abuse during conversion therapy which is legal in most states in America. This movie will stay with me for a long time.
Thais
½ November 20, 2018
A coming of age story with more realism than some may give it credit for. The characters feel honest and nothing in this film ever feels too out of the spectrum of possibilities. This story may be set in a different era, but its message can still resonate with young people today. It's subtle, reserved, and offbeat. A definite recommendation to anyone.
November 20, 2018
this movie was thought-provoking, mesmerising and horrifying at the same time. I would highly recommend if you want to spur on discussion