The Miseducation of Cameron Post - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Miseducation of Cameron Post Reviews

½ April 21, 2019
The film appears to trend carefully through the theme and the situation, the reality though is that these things happen still to this day. the slow-burning, realistic approach makes the impact of the ending more powerful. Great performances from Chloe Grace Moretz and Jennifer Ehle.
½ March 31, 2019
Interesting, enjoyable and provides insight. Without Moretz' performance it would be average but her standout effort makes the movie outstanding.
March 30, 2019
I've been a little upset with the lack of "Chloe Grace Moretz" in the spotlight recently, but was pleasantly surprised by this movie which exceeded of all my expectations.

The story was raw and real. The actors, lead by Chloe, did a great job at drawing empathy and compassion from the viewer.
March 12, 2019
A bookend to "Boy Erased" only seemingly addressing the opposite gender, The beginning of the film is cringeworthy for the viewer imagining the predicament created by the horror of being 'outed' during PromNight; from that point on, the plot takes on a lighter, more introspective note as Cameron forms a strong bond of three unlikely friends that support each other.
Amazing that this film -- on such a meager budget -- gets it point across.
Well done!
February 13, 2019
(spoilers below)
I think The Miseducation of Cameron Post is one of the best gay coming-of-age movies I've seen. Director Desiree Akhavan skillfully handles an ugly topic with grace, neither sexualizing characters nor leaning on stereotypes, providing insightful commentary with a diverse character panel.
The leaders of the conversion camp could be caricatured monsters, but their prim, pseudo-caring characterization is in many ways more unsettling because it mirrors reality. Many of Cameron's peers at the camp are adversarial in their own way, and while in another 90s movie they could be self-righteous antagonists, here their hypocrisy is laid bare to show they too are victims.
The diversity of the character panel was important to me. I think we tend to ignore perspectives that aren't white or able-bodied, particularly in queer media. Here, we not only see Cameron, struggling with her parents' deaths, but Jane Fonda, a Black girl with a below-knee amputation, and Adam Red Eagle, a Lakota winkte (two-spirit). Adam is only at the camp because his father converted to Christianity; not only does the camp have no respect for his gender and sexual identity, they view him from a European perspective when his identity and concept of himself can only be understood through his own cultural lens. The leader of the camp rages at him for his long hair - the implication is that she finds it too feminine. Eventually, she shaves his hair. This is a deliberate allusion to assimilationist boarding schools, and showcases how this is both an erasure of his identity and his culture. I think it was important to show this, because the impact of conversion therapy is going to be different on each person based on their background. This is a multifaceted issue.
Some might call the overall tone of the film muted. There isn't much music save for the occasional evangelical rock piece and a vocal-less backtrack I found decidedly unsettling; the ingression of 90s pop music highlights Cameron's sparse happy interactions with her friends Jane and Adam; this mirrors her isolation from the outside world. When Akhavan employs a characteristic close-up shot of Cameron's face, she overlays it with the sound of her breathing, which makes the scene feel even quieter, and more oppressive. While some might say the film doesn't make enough noise to make a difference, I think this stylistic choice accurately depicts how children shrink into themselves when they see no possibility of outside help. Cameron's parents are dead, her aunt is the reason she's there, her girlfriend is the one that ratted her out, the camp employs pseudo-science, and social services could care less about what's going on; Cameron and her friends are on their own. The one loud outburst we see is from Mark, a supporting character who is demeaned by the group leader, judged by the peers present, and then forcibly subdued. The silence in the film highlights a deep-seated rage and a feeling of helplessness - at a point, it doesn't pay to keep screaming. This scene made such an impact on me that I cried. It felt real because Akhavan draws on real life. This film is set in the 90s but conversion therapy is happening right now.
The only gripe I have is that as a queer woman, I rarely find happy queer movies; usually, one or both parties die or meet a different unhappy end. I think it's important to analyze social issues, but I also want media where queer characters are happy (I would recommend Big Eden to anyone looking for a movie of this nature). It weighs on my soul to only see myself reflected in characters in bad situations. However, this film was executed in such a way that it's a celebration of queer resilience and not a glory-fest of gratuitous suffering (I think this has a lot to do with having a queer woman of color as a director, instead of the usual straight white male). And the ending is deliberately open, with them hitch-hiking away from the camp - we don't know where they're going or what will happen. I choose to think that this is the beginning of their happy story.
½ February 11, 2019
Boy Erased was the better gay conversion themed movie.
½ February 11, 2019
would have loved to have seen this when I was 18 or so
½ February 3, 2019
Wife and I agree that 'The Miseducation of Cameron Post' could have had a lot to say, but only scratches the surface of an important issue not discussed nearly enough in America, gay conversion therapy (GCT).

Co-Writer and director Desiree Akhavan does a bad job at showing the horrific side of the places like Cameron Post (Chloë Grace Moretz) is in. The leaders of those GCTs are religious wackos that emotional torture the inhabitants of the program.

The acting is fine and the story still is somewhat compelling, but not in the least judgmental. If this was a two-sided documentary I'd understand, but it's a film, albeit based on a novel of the same name, that should put itself out there. Be daring, be bold. In the end we have a what could have been. Soft recommend! Final Scores: Wife 6.6/Husband 6.7: Average 6.65
½ January 21, 2019
I was really impressed with Cam trying to be cooperative and respectful, quite a performance as well. I also loved the purpose of the movie on a subject I'm sensitive about.
January 7, 2019
This movie brings a career best performance from Chloë Grace Moretz. It brings out all the feels and is a movie of sexuality and acceptance that we needed in the current political landscape
January 4, 2019
The characters are multi-dimensional and the director clearly takes an observers approach rather than championing a point of view. A fine film to begin a discussion on acceptance and conviction.
January 2, 2019
Like that movie, saw it two weeks ago, it's actual so much in our days ))) Recommend to watch it using boxxy software on your android phone or other device. It's free and very easy user interface.
December 26, 2018
Chloe's performance was so amazing in here. and the story are so realistic.
December 25, 2018
Desiree Akhavan showcases all her talents as both writer and director in her second feature film, being able to capture the sorrows and the bliss of the repressed youth, led by a mesmerizing performance from Chlo Grace Moretz.
December 23, 2018
Amazing acting. Chilling story of how adults seek to break children who dare to be themselves.
½ December 22, 2018
In what's essentially "Short Term 12" if it were run by homophobes, "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" is a dire look at the way gay conversion institutions manipulate teens into emotionally abusing themselves.
December 20, 2018
Another fine performance by Chloe Grace Moretz here. She portrays Cameron Post, a teen caught making out with another female in a parked car on their prom night, in 1993. Her religious aunt will subsequently send her off to a Christian same-sex attraction conversion facility for the purpose of dispelling her gay proclivities.

Lots of excellent performances in the ensemble cast and the characters came across as rich and real to me. Those performances are too numerous to mention, but Jennifer Ehle really creeped me out in her portrayal of Dr. Lydia Marsh, the Director of the facility.

All in all, not everything works here, but I found myself quite engaged in this indie, buoyed by its subtle humor and strong performances.
December 18, 2018
Almost all new released movies u can watch for free using boxxy software Also, they have Adult content
½ December 10, 2018
Equally effective if not as lofty as the similarly themed Boy Erased. The Miseducation of Cameron Post seeks to highlight the overwhelmingly negative effects gay conversion therapy has on those subjected to it-both mentally and physically. Unlike the Joel Edgerton film though, director Desiree Akhavan tends to underplay the heavy drama of it all and instead keeps the more serious, more dramatic elements of the story balanced with a surprisingly strong sense of humor and comedy. This isn't the heavy drama one might expect it to be given the subject matter, though it does go to pretty severe places, but instead of focusing solely on this aspect Akhavan and her actors are very clearly going for a rawness that favors a kind of broad honesty over precision of tone.

That isn't to say one film is better than the other-I actually liked them equally for very different reasons-but The Miseducation of Cameron Post certainly finds its distinction through the authenticity of its character's impulses it operates on and within. Whereas a film like Boy Erased finds a single aspect on this topic it's discussing and tells the story through that lens (a great way to make a movie, mind you) Cameron Post more desires to make this experience of a conversion therapy camp in 1993 something of a universal experience; fitting a topic not often discussed into the template of a coming-of-age film and therefore lending it a universality that will force a wider audience to acknowledge the cracks and hypocrisies in the system.

I'll also note here that the film is able to verbalize a feeling I've had for some time, but could never properly communicate:

"I guess every time I pray I kinda feel like I'm being phony."

"I think everybody can feel like that sometimes. I also think that those are moments where it's really important to lean back on your faith and trust that that'll take you forward."

"I don't think I really have any faith. At least, I don't really know how to go about getting it...or if I really want it."

For this I will forever be indebted to the film. I will also always be beholden to the film for reminding me Celine Dion's "Where Does My Heart Beat Now," is a song that exists.
½ December 8, 2018
12/9/2018
Chloë top bills in a story about a facility where homosexuality is taboo and eradicated. The same place also offered a chance for friendship with several outcasts as they try to correct their perceived deviance from the norm.