The Moment of Truth (1965)

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Moment of Truth Photos

Movie Info

World class toreador Mateo Miguelin plays an impoverished Spanish lad who becomes a bullfighter in this routine drama. He quickly rises to the top and is soon appearing before capacity crowds in the bullrings of Barcelona. Linda Christian plays the beautiful society woman who is intrigued by the macho Mateo.
Art House & International , Drama

as Maestro Pedrucho
Linda Christian
as American Woman

Critic Reviews for The Moment of Truth

All Critics (9) | Top Critics (3)

Never have I got such a message of the cruelty of the sport as is conveyed in this film, which owes much of its excitement to superb color photography.

New York Times
Top Critic

Francesco Rosi's 1965 feature is widely (and plausibly) considered the best movie about bullfighting, in part because of its irony and finesse in capturing how the sport springs from and plays against the social reality of Spain.

Chicago Reader
Top Critic

It's a colourful, cruel world of senseless exploitation (of animals and humans alike) and tyrannical traditions, rendered with vivid brilliance by this uncommonly unsentimental director.

Time Out
Top Critic

Arguably the greatest bullfighting movie ever made.

Full Review… | March 9, 2012
Combustible Celluloid

The best film on bullfighting.

Full Review… | March 5, 2012
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

There's one thing I can say about every bullfighting movie I've seen: I'm always rooting for the bull.

Full Review… | February 2, 2012
Movie Metropolis

Audience Reviews for The Moment of Truth

Stunning, rich Technicolor cinematography along with lush landscapes create a dreamy, hypnotic atmosphere for a rather simple story about a bullfighter eager to move up the ranks under the direction of some spectator businessmen. Completely authentic scenery, yet the story doesn't allow for much dimension in the characters, so it feels like a news story at times. Great for a once thru. 3 out of 5

Thomas Porter
Thomas Porter

The Moment of Truth Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Moment of Truth on our Movie forum!

News & Features