The Monster Reviews

• 3d ago

It did indeed pass the time, but it did little else. A very thin story wrapped in nice atmosphere, a bit repetitive scenes and not much of a conclusion. Don't think I ever need to revisit it, but I didn't exactly regret watching it either.

• Sep 05, 2019

My only regret is that I can't rate it lower.

My only regret is that I can't rate it lower.

• Sep 05, 2019

I don't know how else to describe The Monster other than a quite mediocre horror film.

• Sep 02, 2019

Bryan Bertino’s The Monster uses it’s simple setup as a tribute to classic monster movies and the result is a terrifying, heartbreaking and ultimately satisfying experience

• Aug 05, 2019

A waste of an hour and a half of your life that you won't get back... A sad, dark, sick outlook on society with zero redeeming qualities. Everyone is shallow, self-center, and warped, seeking the most base and visceral life. Senseless and constant profanity/vulgarity spewed by everyone, even the 10 year old girl. Aren't there ANY attractive actors in hollywood anymore?!? The girl, her mother, and the to some extent the boyfriend are just plane ugly, fugly is more correct. Extremely slow moving for about the first hour and then gore galore by this unrealistic monster, that seems to resemble so-o-o many of the monsters in movies for the last decade or so... The little girl uses the 'match and aerosol can' flame thrower we all played with as kids, to get the monster to ignite like it was covered with napalm. They try to give the flick some since of quality when the mother, stupidly, 'gives her life for her daughter.' It is no wonder there is so much violence and contempt for society in America these with hollywood dragging us down into the muck an mire...

• Jul 26, 2019

Watched Bryan Bertino's (e.g., "The Strangers") 2016 "The Monster" last night -- it's a horror movie that lingers in thought -- not from it's slow-burn tension and graphic horror overlay, but from the "real" monsters under your metaphorical bed. The "monster" in this lean, visually dark, well-acted "road trip to Hell" is an emotionally neglected, adolescent daughter''s conflicting pain / longing; it is personal pain of a failed, too-young mother (who is redeemed in the sacrificial third act), it is guilt/anger from failed struggle with addition (alcohol in this example) -- it is the monster "you don't see" in the flesh, but that breathes in life's most testing struggles. The dark, un-penetrated woods from which the creature peers is known to most in some emotional form. The bravery both main characters gradually muster to confront the long-fanged, patient, relentless entity is matched by, and reflects, the bravery to connect as daughter and mother despite past lacerations inflicted upon each other by words and conduct. In facing and slaying their own internal demons, they find a will, through re-discovered love, to heal. But that's just my me....

• Jun 15, 2019

Boring as hell. Frustrating and unrealistic choices by the lead characters. The final scene sucks. Horror interspersed with drama but the two never really tie together or lead anywhere believable, original, or interesting. Even the actions of the monster don't make sense. One of the worst horror films I have ever seen.

• May 14, 2019

The Monster is easilly one of my top 10 horror films of the 2010's. I get why it's divisive. It's not a fast paced movie. There are only two charecters for 90% of the movie. Zoe Kazan was outstanding as Kathy a mother trying to find help for her and her daughter after they get in a car accident. You can tell that she's flawed. The monster is in it a lot but this is a better version of that genre.

• Apr 23, 2019

The Monster starts off pretty good. It sets up a really unique and interesting family dynamic between the two leads, sets up an interesting premise where most horror cliches are avoided through solid story progression. But then, it completely loses momentum and falls flat on its face a few feet before the finish line. The film features a number of flashback sequences that gradually show the mother character in worse and worse light to the point where she's a virtually irredeemable character, and the conclusion to her story arc is pointless and unsatisfying. The ending also abandons any of the interesting symbolism the story could have had and devolves into nothing more than a cheap 1982 The Thing ripoff instead. This film is a brutal writing misfire that's elevated only slightly be stellar performances and come solid and interesting cinematography and direction.

• Mar 26, 2019

The drama gets you invested in the characters, the monster makes the movie interesting. I feel like a little more monster and little less drama would have helped but overall I liked it. I love a monster who is bada$$ but still uses intelligent traps.