The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Reviews

• Nov 10, 2020

the best part of this movie is the moment when they talked about bach and how this man was shadows hunter, is amaizing, thanks bach for your dutty

• Oct 21, 2020

I truly enjoyed this movie. It made me feel as if I had slipped into the Shadow Hunter world. I have watched it several times and even started reading the books. I'm very displeased they were not able to continue on with the series. If you want a unique story, and characters you are eager to rally behind, then this is a fun movie to watch!!

• Oct 15, 2020

Intense, suspenseful, and all-around intriguing are words I would use to describe one of Cassandra Clare's well-known books, The City of Bones; which is the first in the 6 book series The Mortal Instruments. For the movie, however, I would use completely different words to describe it: disappointing and cringe being at the top of the list. After reading the complete series, I was looking forward to watching the movie, as I had high expectations. It turns out to my expectations were too high and the movie let me down The bad movie did not fall on the actors, but rather the scriptwriter and director. A teenage girl's mom gets taken, she tries to get her back and in the process, she finds out she is half-angel. Oh, and let's not forget about the fact that one of the other half-angel people (Shadowhunters) she meets is in love with her, and so is her best friend. The love triangle between heroine Clary Fray (Lily Collins), mysterious Shadowhunter Jace Herondale (Jamie Campbell Bower), and best friend Simon Lewis (Robert Sheehan) was almost comical. Compared to the vampire-werewolf love triangle in the Twighlight series, this movie has been described as ["desperate and a knockoff"](Ochieng, "The Mortal Instruments…"). This hodgepodge of details meshed together to form a movie is not put together well. In fact, there are so many details the movie is 130 minutes long - every detail from the book is tried to be put together in this movie, try being the keyword. So much is happening that it can be confusing as to what the storyline actually is. As I said before the problem with this movie is credited to the director, Harold Zwart. While trying to get the movie as accurate to the book as possible is usually a good thing, in this case, it was not. Many details were not necessary for the film and the way it was executed could've been better. Overall, I did not enjoy this film. The book was much better, and I have read it multiple times. Where the book was intriguing, I started to lose interest in the movie after the first 30 minutes. The movie was cringe-worthy, and that is coming from someone who was expecting something good to come from this movie.

• Sep 25, 2020

Having read all of the books and watched the Freeform episodes, and not knowing this version existed, I was excited to see a "big budget" rendition available. That excitement quickly turned to disappointment. Izzy is not attractive. Alec is meh. Freeform Jace is much more attractive. And it's not just they're looks, it's the quality (or lack thereof) of acting brought to the script. I feel Jocelyn is well portrayed by Lena Headey and Luke better matches the books profile. The storyline is all over the place and way too rushed. When I saw there was a big screen version from 2018, I wondered why there were no sequels. Now I know. TL/DR: skip it and watch the Freeform episodes.

• Jul 13, 2020

I hated it. I read the books first so I was really excited for the movie. But after watching it I was really dissapointed. It was just straight up horrible. I'm not even sure why I hated the movie that much. I mean the actors for this movie were great. But I guess I hated it that much because the books and the movie didn't match up and the ending was horrible. ☺ But then I found the TV show and fell in love. It's way better.

• May 23, 2020

I really loved this movie and the cast, I wish they'd moved forward with the second one instead of deciding to make a tv show, as the cast is much better chosen in the movie.

• May 20, 2020

just another teen-hormone bait movie, cute e-boys though

just another teen-hormone bait movie, cute e-boys though

• May 01, 2020

Remember when every studio in Hollywood was searching the “young adult” section at Barnes & Noble looking for the next Twilight or Harry Potter? Those truly were the dark times, and I have to say that I’m glad the popularity of these films waned, because from what I’ve seen few of them were worth watching. The Mortal Instruments is one that makes me laugh simply because it got the subtitle “City of Bones” as the studio clearly had plans to make an entire series, and yet it crashed and burned after only one try. There’s a perfectly good reason why it didn’t work...this movie sucks. The cast is the first big flaw in the film. None of these young people are good actors, they seem to have been cast merely for their looks. Worst of the bunch is Jamie Campbell Bower who is supposed to be the main romantic lead, yet he is a charisma vacuum. He also looks like the person who would be the villain, with his angular features and greasy blonde hair. Even the veteran actors seem bored and not invested in the film at all. Jared Harris has never looked more like he was dead inside than when he stands there trying to pretend that he cares about the definition of a “Shadow Hunter.” I think I could take some bad casting if the story were good, but this one is just clunky. There is so much world-building that needs to take place in The Mortal Instruments that it felt like 80 to 90 percent of the film was someone mansplaining to Lily Collins how this world worked, who she was, what was happening, and everything else. It was buckets of exposition and that meant there was little time for anything interesting to happen. I always have struggled with magical powers in movies because they typically lack any rules or logic. In this case there seemed to be so many rules that they couldn’t find time to explain them all, but it still felt like there was no logic to how it all worked. By the time the magical McGuffin is found, the film feels like it is in a rush to conclude, but they still are throwing out more exposition. I was so confused that if I cared at all about the story, I would have rewound multiple times to digest what was happening. I think they revealed that the main romance is between a brother and sister, but I couldn’t be sure. The point is, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is a failure of a film, and it’s a blessing that this never turned into a film franchise.

• Mar 15, 2020

Nice fiction. I was so in love with this kind of movie, and this really suits my taste!

• Jan 30, 2020

Perhaps it is my drawback to be contemplating this film at this moment in time (2020), but those surely are some godawful outcomes and scenes in general