The Most Terrible Time in My Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Most Terrible Time in My Life Reviews

½ January 24, 2012
The first part of a trilogy (which I now regret not buy the rest of), this introduces us to a modern day neo noir hero Maiku Hama, who operates out of an office above a cinema showing classic films in Japan.

He finds himself involved in a case searching for a missing Taiwanese immigrant, whose brother he saves in a brawl in a restaurant. Hama is an interesting character, as he appears cool, but is very accident prone and finds himself getting his ass handed to him more often than not.

It makes for an interesting take on the genre, that's for sure.

Worth a look, give it a rental.
November 27, 2010
Would like to rewatch some time with increased focus. Feels like it might generate an increase in score.
½ April 14, 2010
I like it cause Masatoshi Nagase, which if there is a more underrated and underloved Japanese actor it's him, plays a guy named Maiku Hama and if you know anything about Mike Hammer you will understand why this is all genius. It's also a pretty decent movie. Too bad the rest of it isn't up to the same level as Nagase. He's freaking brilliant.
bbcfloridabound
May 11, 2009
I saw the write up on this in Shock Cinema Magazine (Issue 6) If I remember right. So when it arrived by mail I put it on the shelf saying when I get to it, little did I know that it was a Kino Video Release. And little did I know that it was a 5 star great film, 6 stars if I could. Its a Japanese film shot in Black & White (Shot in 1993) to give it that film noir look. Its suppose to be a spoof n the American Crime films of 1950-19660 time frame, and after all with a detective named Maiku Hama, how could it not be nothing but funny and interesting at the same time. Its not really a comedy and Director Kazio Hayashi has done a excellent job with this one. This is the first of a trilogy the other two being Stairway to a distant past and the Trap, which I will now order and review as soon as possible. This is a good film, not only for the comedy part but also for overall story. One other thing it has English Subtitles. Enjoy, and if you haven't seen a Kino Video yet you need to try them out and get there catalog, use a search engine just type Kino Video for some excellent world films.
February 16, 2009
(80/100) Goofy but stylish and enjoyable crime tale that plays on New Wave, film noir, and hard-boiled gangster movies. Although the backgrounds are obviously early 1990s Yokohama, there is a pleasant temporal ambiguity to the film from the black and white cinematography, to the 70s cop music theme, to the retro cars and locales. Doesn't take itself too seriously but seriously enough to compose each frame and set up some nice shots. On a personal note, I enjoyed the number of foreigners speaking Japanese in the movie. Easier to understand and amusing.
½ September 9, 2008
THE coolness! grym hyllning till 60-talets yakuza/gangster/detektiv-rullar. Most Terrible... har alla tänkbara cooliz-features man kan önska! Funkig musik, långa skuggor, nedgångna miljöer, brokiga kostymer, små knalliga puffror, nedrökta kontor samt Jo Shishido OCH Shinya Tsukamoto! weeee! :D
August 12, 2008
wow, what a funky combo of film noir, French new wave (at least so I'm told), and the crossings of Japanese and Taiwanese cultures. Awesome, and an awesome soundtrack score to boot!
July 25, 2008
I love this movie it is a great Japanese noir film that was made in the 90s it takes all the clichés from noir movies and put an entertaining Japanese twist on them, this movie is just fun to watch.
May 22, 2008
Not incredible, but definately enjoyable. Although I tend to prefer Kurosawa movies, this was a cool departure. The plot was excellent and complex, and the actors and actresses were great. I especially liked the character of Hama, who could be a straight up brawler sometimes and a cool, laid-back, humorous character at other times. It's kind of frustrating that the ending was left to be continued, but hopefully the other movies can help clear up some plot questions left at the end.
½ May 15, 2008
Well done Japanese homage to film noir. The first of three "Maiku Hama, PI" films.
April 29, 2008
I defy anybody not to smile when Maiku's theme music kicks in.
November 25, 2007
Homage to japanese and american filmsof the 50s and 60s
brilliant fun
October 15, 2007
The first in the series of Maiku Hama, private detective. Super homage to everything Japanese film, and film in general. Super boss.
September 14, 2007
The best way to describe this movie is "just plain cool". Oldskool film noir with a modern style. Very entertaining...now if only I could find the sequels somewhere.
September 11, 2007
In a world where my opinion matters, this is my favourite Japanese movie. I have a sneaky feeling that fans of Jim Jarmush or Aki Kaurismaki will like this film. Actually, the star of this film, Nagase Masotoshi is also in 'Mystery Train', and Jim Jarmush is in 'Leningrad Cowboys Go America', so maybe they all like each other a lot too. I'm drunk. My spellcheck is telling me I spelt 'favourite' wrong. I'm not a movie reviewer.
½ August 16, 2007
An interesting homage to classic film noir that retains the stark black and white visuals of the noir style, the snappy hard boiled dialog, and plot elements that are taken right out of the classic films it emulates (as an homage, not lack of originality). Film buffs will have fun catching all the references, and the story itself is interesting, but the film as a whole is not as involving as it could have been... it's cold and aloof due to the film's attempt at being a reflection upon classic noir films rather than an actual contribution to the noir canon... it's interest is not in telling a story but paying homage to a genre. Indeed, the motifs and themes are rich but those expecting a traditional genre picture will be disappointed. Recommended for the film buff and those who love noirish detective films, others may wish to just rent a bona fide noir film instead.