The Moth Diaries - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Moth Diaries Reviews

April 5, 2016
The tone and style are not bad, but the horror is less than engaging.
½ October 18, 2015
For me this movie was weird, and let's get this straight this is not a vampire movie, like people are saying. I was expecting more like the " Mothman Prophecies ", but it was more like " The Craft ". School girls who are being haunted by a ghost, it was not a good movie, as that being said I give " The Moth Diaries " a D-.
September 12, 2015
Interesting. Wierd. Not bad. Watch it and see for yourself.
½ July 31, 2015
The best thing of this movie is Marina Diamandis' song "Numb". The worst version of "Carmilla" I've ever seen.
April 18, 2015
Quietly compelling and eerie. Less about sex and vampires than the monster of grief itself.
January 10, 2015
Mary Harron was wishing for the stars
October 31, 2014
The pseudo vampire film The Moth Diaries is a weak and monotonous attempt at a psychological thriller. There are some interesting themes and an intriguing set up, but there's no follow through. In a standard Dracula story arc, a young boarding school student named Rebecca begins to suspect that a new student named Ernessa isn't what she seems and is attempting to seduce and kill her friend Lucy. The casting is pretty good, and features Sarah Bolger, Lily Cole, Valerie Tian, and Scott Speedman. But the writing is especially poor, bringing up questions and mysteries that are never answered. While The Moth Diaries does a fairly decent job at building suspense and tension, there's no payoff to any of it.
August 31, 2014
I sat through it, nuff said.
½ August 4, 2014
Nothing but nothing old wine in a old bottle as well !
July 26, 2014
Pleasantly surprised. I expected very little from this (actually I expected another crap movie, and following on from Vampire Academy, seemed to be my night for it).
Genuinely creepy and suspenseful boarding school story with a cast that can actually act.
The one flaw was the rushed ending, it felt too quick and easy, and at just 78 minutes, the movie was hardly out wearing it's welcome and could have stood a little more fleshing out.
Enjoyed this, though.
½ July 22, 2014
i was almost eaten by a moth once
July 11, 2014
I thought it was an okay movie
½ July 2, 2014
Harron, a supremely intelligent adaptor who did wonders with the screen version of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, simply doesn't have the chops to give this story the florid kick it needs. I say SKIP IT!!!
March 12, 2014
Every girl's nightmares come to life
January 10, 2014
A girl at a boarding school becomes suspicious of a new transfer student, who quickly bonds with her fellow students but may be harboring a dark secret. this movie was hard to review because I was thinking what I think of the movie and what rating would I give it and stuff, but I saw this movie almost a week ago and still nothing. but finally I got what I what to say and that is the movie is Bad and nothing new.
½ January 1, 2014
Interesting movie. Dark. Mysterious. A little slow. Not as bad as the low ratings would suggest.
½ December 5, 2013
One line summary: Short script short on ideas, light on acting.

--------------------------------------

Rebecca is at a boarding school with dress codes, early morning meetings, prayers, and the like. Her friend Charlie gets kicked out for breaking a window, for instance; students get detention for being late for morning meetings.

Rebecca and Lucy were best friends until Ernessa came along. Rebecca suspects that Ernessa is a vampire, but no one want to hear anything negative about Ernessa. Rebecca's attempts to straighten this out only backfire as Lucy gets sick, then weaker, then dead. Her attempt to confide in Mr. Davies results in his hitting on her; later, he reports her 'troubled' behaviour to Mrs. Rood to get ahead of any child molestation charges, one guesses.

Rebecca's own problems (her poet father committed suicide) are brought up frequently. The school is concerned for her. Some of her daydreams are ridiculous.

Will Rebecca stay in school? Will she expose Ernessa? Is the school complicit in Ernessa's actions?

------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 A bit dark and fuzzy in some passages, but mostly fine.

Sound: 10/10 No problems.

Acting: 4/10 This film might appeal to teen girls; others, perhaps not so much. The adults are all imperious or criminal. Most of the teens are portrayed as short sighted. Sarah Bolger portrays a deeply flawed individual, but is not all that believable.

Screenplay: 5/10 The story was short on ideas, and the few it had were not executed all that well. Rebecca gets to do all sorts of things at the school with no detection, no reprimands, or even discussion. It seems like she would have been expelled for any number of her actions.
November 30, 2013
The Moth Diaries is one of those adaptations where the book may be better than the movie. The story is an interesting, and slightly puzzling one but it just doesn't work as a movie. That being said, the movie is a beautiful piece of imagery. The imagery throughout the movie makes up for the somewhat weak dialogue and that is a good thing, even though it does make it a bit of a tough watch. However one of the best things about this movie was the mostly all female dynamic. To me, the movie seemed to break barriers from the typical male driven idea of an all girl school, in a horror/thriller setting. As for the cast, they were very good in their roles. Sarah Bolger was the best but it seemed like everyone had good chemistry with one another.

Unfortunately, the good things stop there. While I liked the imagery and the direction, everything falls flat in the first 20 minutes. I don't want to say I forced myself to watch The Moth Diaries but I can't say that I wanted to watch it either. Definitely not worth the watch.
½ October 11, 2013
Roiling with jealousy, suicide and latent lesbian urges, "The Moth Diaries" dances on the border between hallucination and reality without fully committing to either.