The Neverending Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Neverending Story Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
Bastian is a young boy, still recovering from the death of his mother. His school work and extramural activities are suffering and he is being bullied by a bunch of young louts. One day, while trying to escape the bullies he finds shelter in a book shop. He borrows a certain book, The Neverending Story, and reads it in the school attic. He soon finds himself immersed in a fantastical world...

A fairly conventional children's fantasy tale. Pretty much a join-the-dots adventure story set in an imaginary land, complete with wizards, dragons and similar things.

I was hoping for an enchanting, engaging story but this is pretty much plot-driven, and its just your usual made-for-kids rambling plot.

Special effects look dated now but were probably quite good for their time.

Has its moments but mostly quite dull. Kids should love it though.
½ January 6, 2017
Liked this when I was little. Still pretty good for a kids film. Not my taste these days, but have to admit the child actors are very good and the luck dragon is cute.
January 2, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name, this film has become a children's classic. Most of its style is uniquely European. In an era before CGI, some of the imagery and characters are truly outstanding for its time.

Despite its somewhat sappy story-line, it has darker overtones than one would expect for its target audience. However, as this is a European film, this is not surprising. Certain scenes, such as the horse in quicksand are particularly poignant. Scenes like these evoke empathy from an audience and set this film apart from other children's films from this era.
½ January 1, 2017
I watched this when I was a young girl, this film could be the most breathtaking cinematic masterpiece but nevertheless it still haunts me.
December 31, 2016
I still want to ride on Falkor and I'm still scared of Gmork.
December 15, 2016
The never-ending story is truly imaginative and has great characters with their
½ November 3, 2016
A classic kids film filled with poignant messages and imaginative visuals.
September 7, 2016
It's effective in its character development early on, but as the fantasy world is introduced everything seems rushed and no one other than Atreju is given enough time to really develop feelings for. Its commentary and message are admirable, as are the performances - especially from the child actors - but its script needed some work and its plot points better fleshed out in order to be a movie that works for more than just kids.
September 5, 2016
Dated but good kids fantasy flick. Superficial and facile in so many ways, especially with the usual preachy message of being yourself, but most kids under 10 will like it. The creatures are dated and have a weird vibe to them that detracts from giving a higher rating.
½ September 4, 2016
Most misleading title I've ever seen.
September 1, 2016
Bastian....say my name! Bastian...PLEEEEASE!
August 30, 2016
An undeniably strange but terrific Fantasy Film by director Wolfgang Peterson from his native country Germany but made specifically for English Speaking Audiences.

A story of a young warrior Atreyu who is entrusted on a quest to save Fantasia from the Nothing (A dark force which destroys all in its path.

Filled with strange & wonderful creatures & sets this is such a memorable modern classic, that's behind the scenes information is hard to come by.
August 16, 2016
The Gmork! That, is my number one most terrifying movie villain of all time! The quality of this film still holds up to this day, and it shows! No matter what people say, this is still one movie that gets better as I get older!
½ August 3, 2016
88%
In this classic 80s tale about a boy and a storybook, Wolfgang Petersen delivers striking imagery and an unforgettable message.

V: 70%
½ July 31, 2016
Wonderful children's story from a great German writer.
July 31, 2016
This was a fascinating experience for me, because unlike so many people, I didn't watch this movie as a child. Never, didn't know what was going on or heard anything about it. And.... I was underwhelmed.

As being touted as a classic if children's media, I just felt underwhelmed. It flows nice and has creative character design, but the story leaves a feeling of just thereness. Not offensive, just there.
July 13, 2016
Like a lot of mediocre fantasy tales, the story is cliched and the execution is cheesy.
July 4, 2016
I've never seen this movie all the way through until today. I know, I know, I know... that's crazy. It was just alright. Kind of a cool ending, but for the most part I was kind of bored...
½ June 27, 2016
I have labeled this movie as my most hated movie out of any movie I've seen. Extremely weird, with bad special effects. The never ending story should be titled the never ending movie. 1/2 a star
May 28, 2016
Good old fashioned family entertainment at it's finest. "The Neverending Story" is a film for all ages. Released in 1984, this film still holds up today as a family classic. Following Bastian as he discovers a book called "The Neverending Story" at his local book store, he takes it home out of pure curiousness put in his head by the book store owner. Upon his reading, he is immediately immersed in the story at hand. The story follows Atreyu, a young boy set on a quest to save their world from being consumed by what is known as the nothing. Becoming so immersed that he himself becomes a part of the story in his own mind, the characters begin to hear him. This film is chalk-full of imagination.

This picture is the epitome of originality for all ages. With weird looking creatures to bizarre characters and storylines, this film never strays from clever and will have you immersed from the opening credits. It does scream 80's, but in the best way possible. I found myself smiling, tearing up, and being totally invested in what was happening to each and every character, even though it is totally a fictional world. I love every second of this film.

It is not very often that we get films as original as this nowadays, especially when it comes to children's films. Sure, Pixar still does wonders for originality, but as far as live action family films go, this is a prime example of what filmmakers should be looking at achieving. Technology has come so far to the point where films like this can be achieved better than ever. For it's time though, "The Neverending Story" looks absolutely beautiful.

Overall, this is an incredibly uplifting tale with hardship and fun sprinkled throughout. Younger audiences may get slightly more out of it, but it has a few very scary moments for younger audiences and adults may just feel their childhood screaming to come back out. From beginning to end, it finds new ways of being original and never once did I find myself rolling my eyes. For it's time, this was perfect family entertainment, and to this day, I still believe that it is. This film is (for what it is) is spectacular. Sure, it can be chuckle-worthy at times, but the story itself is worth telling over and over. Highly recommended to those who have yet to see this film.