The Neverending Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Neverending Story Reviews

May 24, 2017
A-W-S-O-M-E AWSOME AWESOME JUST LIKE MEš???
April 25, 2017
Very clever imaginative children's fantasy story.
April 20, 2017
While slightly underwhelming from what I thought it would be, The NeverEnding Story still stands strong with some creative characters, charm, imagination, and at times some effective drama. This is a smart, good old fashioned family film to check out.
½ April 12, 2017
This is a strong classic film that lives on thanks to an incredibly sharp storyline. The effects have aged but this film is timeless, you forget how much Hollywood spells out everything in the first 20 mins, this film is storytelling and it's refreshing in this day and age. The acting is spot on and that epic film song kicks things off in style. Never grew up with this film and It's a shame but you are never too old to discover a clever film like this.
March 21, 2017
The Gmork! That, is my number one most terrifying movie villain of all time! The quality of this film still holds up to this day, and it shows! No matter what people say, this is still one movie that gets better as I get older!
March 7, 2017
The beginning real world is terribly awkward, laughable. All the human characters are silly. As we move into the fantasy, it becomes interesting and quirky. A giant troll rolling into something like Alice in Wonderland characters, eating rocks whose crumbs tumble and disrupt smaller creatures below. The idea of nothing replacing lakes and rocks is intriguing - what does this nothing look like? Is it a black hole? They insist it is not a hole. But then a wind storm comes, unique cloudy textures moving forth - the "nothing."

The House of Empress is an interesting look, oblong amidst a sunset. Inside, some great design, double-faced mask, triple-headed woman, big heads like you'd see at a Mardi Gras parade.
February 25, 2017
I loved watching it as a kid, and now as an adult I still enjoy going back and reliving the magic behind The Neverending Story. The 1980's knew how to make great family movies for all ages. A fantastic family movie which all ages can enjoy either together or alone.
½ January 7, 2017
Bastian is a young boy, still recovering from the death of his mother. His school work and extramural activities are suffering and he is being bullied by a bunch of young louts. One day, while trying to escape the bullies he finds shelter in a book shop. He borrows a certain book, The Neverending Story, and reads it in the school attic. He soon finds himself immersed in a fantastical world...

A fairly conventional children's fantasy tale. Pretty much a join-the-dots adventure story set in an imaginary land, complete with wizards, dragons and similar things.

I was hoping for an enchanting, engaging story but this is pretty much plot-driven, and its just your usual made-for-kids rambling plot.

Special effects look dated now but were probably quite good for their time.

Has its moments but mostly quite dull. Kids should love it though.
½ January 6, 2017
Liked this when I was little. Still pretty good for a kids film. Not my taste these days, but have to admit the child actors are very good and the luck dragon is cute.
January 2, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name, this film has become a children's classic. Most of its style is uniquely European. In an era before CGI, some of the imagery and characters are truly outstanding for its time.

Despite its somewhat sappy story-line, it has darker overtones than one would expect for its target audience. However, as this is a European film, this is not surprising. Certain scenes, such as the horse in quicksand are particularly poignant. Scenes like these evoke empathy from an audience and set this film apart from other children's films from this era.
½ January 1, 2017
I watched this when I was a young girl, this film could be the most breathtaking cinematic masterpiece but nevertheless it still haunts me.
December 31, 2016
I still want to ride on Falkor and I'm still scared of Gmork.
December 15, 2016
The never-ending story is truly imaginative and has great characters with their
½ November 3, 2016
A classic kids film filled with poignant messages and imaginative visuals.
September 7, 2016
It's effective in its character development early on, but as the fantasy world is introduced everything seems rushed and no one other than Atreju is given enough time to really develop feelings for. Its commentary and message are admirable, as are the performances - especially from the child actors - but its script needed some work and its plot points better fleshed out in order to be a movie that works for more than just kids.
September 5, 2016
Dated but good kids fantasy flick. Superficial and facile in so many ways, especially with the usual preachy message of being yourself, but most kids under 10 will like it. The creatures are dated and have a weird vibe to them that detracts from giving a higher rating.
½ September 4, 2016
Most misleading title I've ever seen.
September 1, 2016
Bastian....say my name! Bastian...PLEEEEASE!
August 30, 2016
An undeniably strange but terrific Fantasy Film by director Wolfgang Peterson from his native country Germany but made specifically for English Speaking Audiences.

A story of a young warrior Atreyu who is entrusted on a quest to save Fantasia from the Nothing (A dark force which destroys all in its path.

Filled with strange & wonderful creatures & sets this is such a memorable modern classic, that's behind the scenes information is hard to come by.
½ August 3, 2016
88%
In this classic 80s tale about a boy and a storybook, Wolfgang Petersen delivers striking imagery and an unforgettable message.

V: 70%