The Neverending Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Neverending Story Reviews

July 4, 2016
I've never seen this movie all the way through until today. I know, I know, I know... that's crazy. It was just alright. Kind of a cool ending, but for the most part I was kind of bored...
½ June 27, 2016
I have labeled this movie as my most hated movie out of any movie I've seen. Extremely weird, with bad special effects. The never ending story should be titled the never ending movie. 1/2 a star
May 28, 2016
Good old fashioned family entertainment at it's finest. "The Neverending Story" is a film for all ages. Released in 1984, this film still holds up today as a family classic. Following Bastian as he discovers a book called "The Neverending Story" at his local book store, he takes it home out of pure curiousness put in his head by the book store owner. Upon his reading, he is immediately immersed in the story at hand. The story follows Atreyu, a young boy set on a quest to save their world from being consumed by what is known as the nothing. Becoming so immersed that he himself becomes a part of the story in his own mind, the characters begin to hear him. This film is chalk-full of imagination.

This picture is the epitome of originality for all ages. With weird looking creatures to bizarre characters and storylines, this film never strays from clever and will have you immersed from the opening credits. It does scream 80's, but in the best way possible. I found myself smiling, tearing up, and being totally invested in what was happening to each and every character, even though it is totally a fictional world. I love every second of this film.

It is not very often that we get films as original as this nowadays, especially when it comes to children's films. Sure, Pixar still does wonders for originality, but as far as live action family films go, this is a prime example of what filmmakers should be looking at achieving. Technology has come so far to the point where films like this can be achieved better than ever. For it's time though, "The Neverending Story" looks absolutely beautiful.

Overall, this is an incredibly uplifting tale with hardship and fun sprinkled throughout. Younger audiences may get slightly more out of it, but it has a few very scary moments for younger audiences and adults may just feel their childhood screaming to come back out. From beginning to end, it finds new ways of being original and never once did I find myself rolling my eyes. For it's time, this was perfect family entertainment, and to this day, I still believe that it is. This film is (for what it is) is spectacular. Sure, it can be chuckle-worthy at times, but the story itself is worth telling over and over. Highly recommended to those who have yet to see this film.
½ May 15, 2016
Great directing the acting is good for what it is an very dark film that your definitely not gonna forget some really cool sequences to
April 26, 2016
I've never really been to fond of this one. Even as a kid, I found it a bit ridiculous, and the leads rather annoying... I can't say it's gotten better or worse with time, but it's a decent kids fantasy.
½ April 13, 2016
Still rich, wondrous and vividly realized and also every bit as dark, scary and sometimes slightly fucking devastating (ARTAAAAX!!!!!) as you remember, sure the kid who plays Bastion is pretty annoying, some of the mostly wonderful animatronics are starting to creak and as cool as he is Falcor comes off as a bit creepy when you watch the film with naturally cynical adult eyes (I like children!....erm, eww) but the film is a potent bottling of childhood wonder that you can still open to find it hasn't gone off, and with it's textured and tactile sets, puppets, miniatures and practical detail it reminds you of how lacking todays almost computer game like, cgi overloaded, hollow fantasy films are. You cant beat 80's escapism and The Neverending Story is one of the most magical, lovely examples of why.
April 4, 2016
Perfect definition of an eighties, fantasy flick with unique themes and quirky characters.
March 22, 2016
If you can get past some more hokier bits of acting, The Neverending Story is a near-perfect example of a family fantasy film. Today, we need a whole lot less Shrek, and a whole lot more of this.
March 15, 2016
One of the best family films of all time.
February 21, 2016
My childhood movie that I love ?
½ February 15, 2016
Good film. Likely would have been more meaningful if I'd watched then as well.
February 4, 2016
An exciting adventure that is as imaginative as is exciting, the never ending story will forever remain a classic in the fantasy genre even though it is dated and a bit preechy.
February 2, 2016
My favorite childhood movie. Love it 'till this day as an adult. Perfect fantasy movie. Excellent acting. Nostalgic.
January 12, 2016
The definitive children's movie.
½ January 11, 2016
I hadn't seen this in a looonnng time, too long. It was a favorite growing up and it's awesome that it's still a great movie now and one my kids can also enjoy.
½ December 26, 2015
A magical journey about the power of a young boy's imagination to save a dying fantasy land, The NeverEnding Story remains a much-loved kids adventure
December 26, 2015
A good adventure story.
December 13, 2015
This film is magical and extremely enjoyable. Above all, though, it treats children like they're smart, something that many children's films forget to do.
½ December 7, 2015
A pretty lackluster story that despite its wanderings and cheesiness, is still fun with all its camp.
November 15, 2015
The power of a fantasy story is its ability to transport you to another world that works by different laws from your own - immutable laws - and how characters interact with and inside that world. (SPOILER) Because this fantasy world's characters and its laws are in constant flux due to the magical influence of the boy's imagination, what we have is not a fantasy world but simply a fantasy, not a story but a series of disconnected imaginings inside a boy's head. Consequentially, the plot is almost non-existent and the characters's struggles are meaningless.
Pass this movie.