The New Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The New Land Reviews

½ February 20, 2017
Real, harsh and long.
January 13, 2017
Yes! This is true cinema, hard, broad, realistic and naturalistic. Great follow-up to the Emigrant movie and really powerful in making it all look so real and honest. Every piece of real life is shown here in a pure sense.
May 18, 2015
really good sequel to 1971's 'the immigrents'
½ August 5, 2013
Jan Troell's halfway epic begins with the exemplification of the grand 'American Dream', as everything has improved and the immigrants were leading a better life. However, as time goes by, we witness the reversal of their fortune. The tragedy of Arvid and his best friend serves as an alarm attempting to wake us up from the dream. Fortunately, at the end the dream is not shattered, but it did leave the audience in deep thoughts. For instance, should the atrocities of the Indians at the end be regarded as a barbaric act, or retribution on the trailblazers for invading the land they are not entitled to? Is the mass execution followed just? Also, it is stated at the very end that Karl Oskar's offspring cannot speak Swedish. Is immigration integrating various cultures to form a better and more influential culture through enrichments and absorption, or is it engulfing diversities and washing away people's nostalgia and making them forgetting the identity inherited from their ancestors? Despite made more than 40 years ago, this epic can still offer us fruits of thoughts in the face of contemporary humanity issues.
May 19, 2012
Jan Troell's sequel to the extremely successful The Immigrants, The New Land starts where the previous film ended, where the swedish immigrant Karl Oskar (Max von Sydow) and his family goes further than any one to get the best piece of land. And it's there our friends decides to settle for the rest of their lives, but Karl Oskar's young brother Robert (Eddie Axberg) wants to go to California to join the gold rush. Every one seems to enjoy themselves in this "new world" except Karl Oskar's wife Kristina is homesick, as she tends to hold on to the tradition while all the others integrates and begins to speak English.

I really did love the first film, but this chapter isn't that great compared with the first one, it's some times a little boring and I would have enjoyed to see more of the English influence to hear the main cast speak some English. But besides that it's a good film, with a lot of great images and wonderful music. It got all the things that The Emigrants have, except the epic scale. Thumbs up.
½ July 29, 2009
4,5 za Maxa w roli ma?orolnego ch?opa
April 6, 2009
It's criminal that the uncut version hasn't been released in the US. Don't judge the movie by the shortened US version.
October 23, 2008
want to see this because it won best foreign-language film at the golden globes and was nominated for best foreign film at the oscars and by NBR
November 3, 2007
They forced us to see it in school, good, because it's a good movie - Max von Sydow is perfect in his role.
October 26, 2007
Kanske världens bästa film! Varje sekund är magi!
October 13, 2007
Tyvärr så märks det så tydligt att filmen är inspelad i Skåne, Sverige. När Roberg och Arvid är i öken känner man igen en skånsk strand. För övrigt är det ännu en gripande historia och fortsättningen på Utvandrarna.
October 9, 2007
We were forced to see this in high school.