The New Public Reviews

• Mar 02, 2016

I loved every minute of it!

I loved every minute of it!

• Feb 10, 2015

At the beginning of this film I was certain that it would be another superficial story about how easy it would be to reform the education system if only people would try harder, be more dedicated, spend more money, etc. But this movie is about much, much more than that. It shows the reality of the enormous obstacles that educators and students and their families face. It is an in-depth look at what is a crisis in this country. It's riveting. It's a remarkable film. Watch it.

• Feb 10, 2015

Watch this movie and carve out some time to talk about it afterward. Insightful, interesting and unlike anything else you've ever seen before.

• Feb 09, 2015

Touching, important, well done.

Touching, important, well done.

• Feb 04, 2015

MUST SEE FOR ALL STUDENTS EDUCATORS PARENTS AND FOLKS WHO LIKE GREAT FILMS

MUST SEE FOR ALL STUDENTS EDUCATORS PARENTS AND FOLKS WHO LIKE GREAT FILMS

• Feb 04, 2015

As one of the main subjects in this film, I stand by its integrity. The New Public faithfully depicts my own struggles and achievements as well as those of my students, parents, and the school community as a whole. To be sure, it has been difficult to watch myself flounder in front of a national audience but if my personal drama is edifying I'm okay with it. I've used this film in my high school classroom and I've attended numerous screenings for educators and the public alike and I've witnessed howl this film raises crucial issues for our society as a whole. This is not just a sociological film, but a beautiful piece of filmmaking intimate, entertaining, and at times genuinely funny.

• Feb 06, 2014

The New Public is an engagingly complex documentary that seeks to honestly show the challenges associated with education today without leading the viewer to a predetermined answer.

• Feb 05, 2014

This is a film that really goes above and beyond in terms of examining the issues we saddle our schools with, the struggles -- and strengths -- of communities, the tireless efforts of educators, and the many contributors to education and achievement gaps. Must-watch for any teacher, educator, or anyone who cares about those things.

• Feb 05, 2014

An eye-opening and heart-warming film about our education system and the lives that are affected by it.

• Feb 05, 2014

Never has such an intimate and informative documentary been made about the public school system. You will understand a world you don't know, your heart will break, and you will be driven to change things.