The New York Review of Books: A 50 Year Argument Reviews

• Jul 12, 2016

• Jan 23, 2016

This was very good at the beginning discussing the narrative on the origins of the magazine. My only minor critique is that it does turn into an intellectual wankfast towards the end and it is a little lost in some places. Not sure of the chronology. A slight point of view is taken (as expected with most documentaries these days.) Worth seeing, if nothing more than all of the famous clips including Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer going at it on the old Dick Cavett Show.

• Apr 21, 2015

One of the reviewers had mentioned, "[it] seems aimed more at subscribers than viewers". I can't agree more, I am a subscriber and will always be, as long as Silvers is the editor.

• Oct 13, 2014

This is the first reporting that has actually made me feel concerned about the future of books. Subtle yet very powerful reification of the importance of ideas and communication through books.

• Sep 13, 2014

This was an extraordinary documentary that I saw at the Toronto Film Festival. Most moving was the interview with Joan Didion who had written about the1989 rape of the "Central Park Jogger." At that time Didion insisted that the conviction of five young black men was full of assumptions that were not proved. She wrote that the convictions fed into an assumed narrative of young black men as dangerous predators. This view was extremely controversial, even among "liberals" (sorry...no surprise there...scratch a liberal and all that). Didion was proved right some 12 years later when the real rapist was identified and the young black men were released.