The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave Reviews

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Jul 30, 2016

Plodding sexploitation horror of very little note.

Plodding sexploitation horror of very little note.

• Apr 29, 2015

Magnifico! A very good giallo!

Magnifico! A very good giallo!

Sylvester K Super Reviewer
    Aug 20, 2014

A savvy but mentally disturbed playboy who lures redheaded prostitutes to his mansion and kills them because they resemble his ex wife. The plot was entirely cheesy and predictable, but the set was so beautiful and lush, I really adore the urban chic style used for the film. The acting was rather rubbish, even the gratuitous nudity could not save the film from boring me to death. I was disappointed because it really does not fit well with the giallo genre due to the deaths are all either off screen or have little gore. Evelyn should have stayed in her grave.

• Mar 26, 2014

The synopsis may sound strange but so is the movie! There's plenty of things wrong with this: the plot refuses to make sense, the acting is pretty bad, the dubbing is awful and the film is relatively bloodless. Also there's an astounding amount of misogyny in this (even for a horror film). It's actually quite dull--until the end. There's a double twist ending which caught me by surprise and it gets very bloody too. Still, that's only the last 15 minutes or so--the preceding 80 minutes are hard to slog through. There is also a fair amount of nudity (all female of course) and the main actors are attractive--but that's not enough to recommend this. Completists of Italian horror cinema may enjoy this. Also most of the DVD versions of this are in terrible shape--mine was incorrectly letterboxed, had faded color and nonstop jumps and scratches. One sequence even started with the top of the image on the bottom of the screen! So--beware. I give it a 6--mostly for the ending.

• Dec 10, 2013

Slow, dull, and pointless. Too much sex which results in a boring plot that takes too long to go anywhere. Bland characters and crumby dialog. Shame, since the title sounded fun.

• Jun 20, 2013

The only good thing about this is Bruno Nicolai's score.

The only good thing about this is Bruno Nicolai's score.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    May 10, 2013

A wealthy playboy tortures and kills redheads who remind him of his ex-wife, until he marries one and his problems really start. About the best thing that can be said for this tawdry giallo is that it evokes a certain distinctive era of leisure-suit sleaze; guys who've been dumped by redheads may find it therapeutic, too.

• Feb 06, 2013

The Night of gratuitous naked flashbacks, or perhaps the night a title was devised for a film without a plot? An Italian giallo (gory horror film from the 1970s a genre synonymous with Dario Argento) that focuses on deranged Lord Alan Cunningham in swinging London (though everyone is speaking Italian) who has a penchant for taking red-headed, disreputable women to his castle and their demise. His extended family seems poised to swoop for his fortune but are they deliberately trying to drive him mad? The plot twists are mystifying and de rigeur

• Dec 19, 2012

Beware of greedy, imaginary unfaithful, worm-congested red-haired corpse brides--Stylish Gothic Giallo!!

• Jun 14, 2012

I guess the big reveal of this movie is supposed to be a shocker, BUT well the protagonist is such a jerk it is hard to root for anyone but the bad guys - who also turn out to be jerks. I think maybe people were dumber in the 1970s. It might have been the cocaine? Either way, good monster for a second. I guess that is something. ALSO, the italians really knew how to decorate a room.