The Night Listener - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Night Listener Reviews

January 14, 2017
Somewhat unsatisfying movie about a DJ Storyteller who starts a friendship with a 14 year old boy, but then recieves clues that the boy may not who he seems. Robin Williams is good in what is given, Toni Collette is always great, but the story they're given just sort of drags without any sight of a conclusion. And it doesn;t end with a bang, but with a whimperish thud.
March 13, 2016
Scene after scene that wouldn't make any sense if you haven't read the book. And strange departures from the book that aren't necessary.
February 18, 2016
So he's even more messed up than her. ok but not all that entertaining sadly.
December 24, 2015
Bad movie. While the story itself is intriguing and puzzling, everything else is a major letdown, from the slow pacing to the dull direction to the mediocre performance, Williams delivering the best of them all, and it's not his best, sadly.
½ November 11, 2015
An interesting and very atmospheric film with two of my favorite actors--Robin Williams and Toni Collette.
September 16, 2015
Murky,muddled thriller that waste two top talents on this pure drivel of a thriller.
October 18, 2014
A creepy and unsettling film. Robin Williams' performance was excellently suited to the character in this suspense film. I only wish we could have seen more of Sandra Oh.
October 2, 2014
another supermarket DVD 2.99 DVD combo pack purchase
½ September 18, 2014
While I wasn't quite sure what to expect, THE NIGHT LISTENER turned out to be a dark and unnerving psychological thriller. Robin Williams plays Gabriel Noone, a radio talk show host who tells deeply personal (but often fictionalized) stories. After separating from his companion (Bobby Cannavale), he is given an advance copy of a memoir by a 14-year boy that recounts a childhood filled with sexual abuse. He also carries on a long telephone relationship with the boy. However, when the boy's existence starts to come into question, he starts an investigation that ends up creating more questions than answering them. What immediately struck me about this film was the disquieting mood created by the score and cinematography. Some of my favorite thrillers, regardless of narrative merits, have been able to hold my interest due to the atmospheres they create, and this is no exception. Robin Williams gives a wonderfully understated, yet nuanced, performance that ranks among his better, darker dramatic roles. Bobby Cannavale also does an excellent job, despite his limited screen time. However, the revelation was Toni Colette as Donna Logand, Pete's (Rory Culkin) foster mother. Her portrayal of a blind woman who may have some mental issues was effectively creepy and really got under my skin. Story-wise, I was almost gripped from start to finish. The first two-thirds were as good as any thriller I've seen recently, but the ending was a bit of a letdown in my opinion. The biggest theme tackled is about when the line between truth and fiction is blurred. This is first exemplified by the character of Gabriel Noone, who admittedly mines his own personal life for stories while leaving out all but the "shiny bits." This doesn't seem to bother him, except when he encounters it in another human being. It was an interesting topic for a movie, but I don't think that the film really delves into it the way it deserved. Overall, you end up with a decent psychological thriller that's well-acted but, at an anemic 80 minutes, could have been beefed up a little more.
September 4, 2014
it was ok kindof slow movie
September 3, 2014
This is another challenging role for Robin Williams, and he performs it so brilliantly. I'm starting to appreciate him with his dramatic work even more than his usual comedic work. This fact-based thriller left me with questions yet to be answered. It's so unique.
½ August 17, 2014
Inspired by true events, The Night Listener is a dark psychological thriller. The story follows Gabriel Noone, a radio talk show host who receives a manuscript from a 14-year old boy named Peter, who's a survivor of sexual abuse, but Gabriel soon starts to suspect that the whole thing is a hoax and sets off to discover whether or not Peter and his story are real. Robin Williams leads the cast and is supported by Toni Collette, Sandra Oh, and Rory Culkin, who all give good performances. The writing is also well-done, and keeps the mystery going right up until the end. Still, the ambiguity is a little overdone and the script has some weaknesses. The Night Listener meanders a little at times, but it's also rich with intrigue.
ascordeiro108
½ August 13, 2014
A disturbing movie, with facts I actually believe to be true and frightning. Don't read the description of the movie and don't see the trailer if you don't want to be spoiled.
May 22, 2014
The film score gave a sense of terror and creepiness but I never found the story to be all that creepy. Robin Williams gave a very dry and boring performance as well
½ December 30, 2013
Interesting & quite entertaining on many levels, this film is very well directed but lacks something to make it fully awesome. The cast is stellar & Toni Collette confirms here she is probably one of the most talented actress to ever walk this planet.
October 5, 2013
Slow moving drama made bearable by Robin Williams understated performance. This is a marginally interesting story poorly paced and lacking cohesion. The scenes seem to stumble from one to another with little forward momentum. Williams does a fine job connecting with the audience, however I couldn't care less about any of the other characters, not even the victim of the abuse. Could have been suspenseful and riveting, but the lazy direction just makes it average.
August 1, 2013
Interesting version of what would be a Catfish type situation. However, never really goes to much into anything. Just does the bare minimum and moves on to the next thing.
July 12, 2013
This movie is horrible! I love Robin Williams and Toni Collette I was so disappointed.
½ June 7, 2013
This movie was just BAD, don't waste your time on this one.
June 4, 2013
only gets a two because of robin williams