The Night Listener - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Night Listener Reviews

April 24, 2013
somehow weird movie, little bit unsettling and, not understandable till end mystery..but with some deeper touch
March 22, 2013
Robin Williams actually does a good job in this movie, it's just to bad the script he had to work with was slow moving and ineffective.
February 24, 2013
Robin Williams best role! Everyone has known someone like the woman portrayed in this film. Excellent movie!
February 23, 2013
Never heard of this one ethier,.
½ February 11, 2013
Good actors in rather pointless "thriller" about radio host (Williams) befriended by 14 year old child abuse victim who may not exist in reality, but who might actually be the creation of a mentally imbalanced woman (Collette). Williams' character seems to care much about this issue, much more so than any viewer reasonably might. Drearily photographed and staged, any encounters with the edge of the seat might be due to nodding off and falling off the couch.
½ February 6, 2013
Toni Collette is really good, very creepy. That is about all I have to say in praise of this film, which is rather sad, because the director showed serious promise with The Business of Strangers. Sandra Oh too, is good, but her role is far too brief.
January 18, 2013
It's scary because there are people out there like that.
January 17, 2013
This keeps you guessing for the duration but I felt it lacked enough tension to keep you caring.
January 9, 2013
It has Robin Williams in it, what more do I need to know?
January 5, 2013
Disturbing, but keeps you interested. Well done. Based on a novel by Arimstead Maupin, great writer! Start with Tales of the City
½ December 30, 2012
Based upon the 2000 bestseller by Armistead Maupin (who wrote Tales of the City), this is a true-life psychological thriller which happened to Maupin in 1992 and it kicked off a real life mystery which is still open to this day. It has a good cast, with it's lead playing well against type, and doing well with this complex and short mystery. Gabriel Noone (Robin Williams) is a gay radio talk-show host who has fallen into a slump after his partner Jess (Bobby Cannavale). Gabriel is given the manuscript of a memoir written by teenager Pete Logand (Rory Culkin), which chronicles the sexual abuse he's suffered over the years, which has left him with AIDS. Pete now lives in Wisconsin with social worker Donna (Toni Collette). Peter and Gabriel begin a phone correspondence, but one day it stops, and Jess believes Pete and Donna's voices are almost identical. Gabriel is concerned for Pete's well-being, and flies out to Wisconsin to see if he's OK. When he finds the address doesn't exist, that Pete is reportedly in hospital and that Donna is blind. Nothing is what it seems, and the hospital is 50 miles away, and the locals believe Pete exists, even if they've never seen him. It's a good thriller that doesn't waste time, but even if the story is unbelievable, it's all true. Williams is a great actor, and he should be making more serious films, and Collette makes a good femme fatale. No-one has ever got to the bottom of what really happened, and maybe we never will.
½ December 18, 2012
The previews to this movie were misleading. I walked out about 5 minutes into it.
½ December 11, 2012
Sloppy adjustment of a chilling tale whose plot reaches its boiling point far past the point of audience involvement or genuine concern. Williams banks in on his dramatic endowments with a flair for moody dialogue, but nobody else bothers to show up to work.
December 7, 2012
Very mysterious and compelling. Popular radio show host who, while trying to cope with a splintering romance, strikes up a telephone relationship with his biggest fan. When disturbing questions arise regarding the boy's identity, his life spins out of control.
½ November 20, 2012
it was ok but I thought it would be better and I do not want it on DVD, I thought Robin Williams didn't play a great part, it also starred Toni Collette, Bobby Cannavale and Rory Culkin
½ November 15, 2012
I don't know why Robin Willians is doing bad movies all these two years, this is one.
½ October 23, 2012
Not what I expected, but great nonetheless!
October 21, 2012
This movie sucked...
October 15, 2012
Willams prove he is not belivable as a seriouse actor.
½ October 9, 2012
I've been noticing quite a theme of Robin Williams appearing in creepy thrillers, eg, One hour Photo, and The Final Cut. Here i expected the same distant type of character from Williams, but was surprisingly pleased to see him as a more down to earth person. I like Sober performances from Robin Williams. Due to the theme of this movie, the film documentary 'Catfish' would make the perfect accompaniament.