The Nines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nines Reviews

½ June 2, 2016
confusing ? yes and intentionally, but never boring.

I loved the not-so-typical ending.
½ May 7, 2016
Doesn't have a movie feel to it a very random horrible watch, I couldn't watch the whole thing.
½ April 1, 2016
The Nines is one of those films that has a fascinating premise, but just can't manage to live up to it upon execution. On paper, a story about three intertwined vignettes connected via multidimensional beings and quantum physics is stunning, but the screenplay is often too jumbled and clunky to work in the way other mind-bending films of this kind have done in the past. Perhaps writer/director John August's biggest weakness is his lack of awareness about motifs and symbolism: August seems to think that simply repeating the same symbol continuously (in this case, the number nine) makes for compelling imagery, when it's actually repetitive and bland more than anything. August's biggest strength, however, his getting strong performances out of his cast, namely Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds delivers one of the strongest performances of his career, and packs a surprising amount of emotion into his three different characters. August also has a nice way with his camerawork: the film is full of smooth camera angles and shots. It's undeniably mindbending as a whole, but The Nines lacks the same impact of other films of this kind. It's a valiant effort, but the punch just isn't strong enough to be a knockout.
March 17, 2016
Great concept and story that gets lost in an amateurs convoluted handling of the material. I'm still confused by the end of it. I feel like if this was directed by someone like Aranofsky or Nolan it would be a masterpiece...
March 15, 2016
First and foremost, the biggest issue is what exactly is going on here? Ryan as Gary / Gavin / Gabriel plays three different men, but not living fully separate or distinct lives, for the other characters also play various roles as well (McCarthy, Davis, Fanning, Denman) and are aware of who he is. So the ultimate question, as I said, is what's at stake here? Exactly what is going on, who are these people, what are they doing (doing to Ryan's characters), and why?

Listening to the dialogue of the characters in the three parts, or separate films / stories, if you will, apparently Ryan's over arching character is an all powerful alien who can change forms and create and destroy worlds with a simple thought. And we see that visualized on occasion. Allegedly he's a godlike being who creates these worlds but in doing so forgets who he is. Why would such a powerful being allow this to happen to himself? Self inflicted? He brings on the forgetting to "play the game," if you will, creating roles for himself so he can actually experience a more simple, connective life? For he does build a particularly close relationship with Margaret / Melissa / Mary (McCarthy). In the last story they've even progressed to marriage. But why? Why would he do this? There is no explanation or solution to be found.

Then there is the question about whether or not Ryan's character is not a god but is human and is drugged by his friends as they play some cruel game, which is alluded to by Sierra (Davis) in the last story. But why would such an elaborate ruse, hoax be foisted off on Ryan's characters? And how do these characters believe so well that they are the differing, unique characters they play?

Certainly not the same old, same old, but certainly an interesting film, albeit with many unresolved questions. I liked the unpredictability as well as Ryan's masterful portrayal of various characters.
February 10, 2016
Don't watch it if you're stupid.
August 7, 2015
So, didn't really accomplish what they wanted to. Still a watchable movie.
July 8, 2015
Weird, but interesting
February 15, 2015
A lame attempt at being Cronenbergian and Lynchish, this head-scratcher is haphazard mess wasting some good acting talents.
January 24, 2015
Elle Fanning was good in a challenging role. Much of the movie did not really make sense.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A very special drama movie with strange things going on and hopefully i understood a bit what the story is really about. It have some similar feeling of the movie butterfly effect kinda. Ryan Reyonalds play a guy which seemed trapped in 3 different lives but with same people around him. If u like different / odd movies u gonna liked this one.
½ November 30, 2014
interesting. the thing i like the best about this movie, though, is that it's one of the rare instances where we get to see melissa mccarthy is allowed to play a real character instead of the fat, funny caricature into which she is far too often pigeon holed.
November 22, 2014
And then it was all a dream...

What 13 year old girl on her first acid trip wrote this steaming pile of shit?
August 13, 2014
Confusing yet enthralling, "The Nines" is a Donnie Darko-esque film that proves Ryan Reynolds' worth as a leading man.
July 5, 2014
Certainly interesting in its first act, but loses the appeal the more it goes on from its initial comic drama approach to a chilling mystery that ultimately feels a bit disappointing considering the sheer amount of mindmelting buildup. Still, you will watch to the end no matter what just to find out what its all about.
June 28, 2014
i did not like and found it pretty silly.
½ June 16, 2014
Great performances all round and some of Ryan Reynolds best acting, this movie is definitely worth a watch
June 5, 2014
Sometimes I add movies to my To Watch list but don't get around to actually watching them until months or even years later, at which time I am horribly confused as to why on earth I wanted to watch them in the first place. This is one of those movies.

I am twenty minutes in, and I am confused and unamused and bored out of my mind. My Twenty Minute Rule has gone into effect! Because after reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia there's no way I'm sticking around for another hour. Pay out just ain't worth it.
½ December 15, 2013