The Nun's Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nun's Story Reviews

October 21, 2016
A compelling story hindered by a plodding script and uninspired direction. Not you typical Hepburn vehicle though it does hint at her later work with the UN.
½ October 16, 2016
Not so interesting, flat, vague & overlong.
July 3, 2016
Very emotional movie about a nun who struggles to be a perfect instrument in the hands of God ("all or nothing") brilliantly portraied by beautiful Audrey Hepburn.
½ January 30, 2016
"The Nun's Story" starring one of the most beautiful and best actresses of the 20th century was based on the true story of Marie Louise Habets, This movie was wonderfully directed and Hepburn was nominated for an Oscar, 1959. If you get a chance, worth watching. Many lessons.
½ November 15, 2015
The first serious role that I've seen Audrey Hepburn in and, quite interestingly, it was set partly in her homeland, Belgium. I wondered if we would get to hear her original accent, unfortunately not. The story isn't too bad but it's long and there is a lot of padding, especially in the cloister.
September 20, 2015
Slow and boring, just like a nun's life.
½ September 11, 2015
good bio-pic fueled by Hepburn's performance
November 27, 2014
I adore Audrey but this is just boring.
½ September 11, 2014
Great movie. Fascinating look at the life and challenges of nuns, of Africa and of the early days of war. Hepburn was fantastic in this as were the supporting cast. So, so glad the directors didn't try to force a romance between Sr. Luke and the doctor.
May 20, 2014
Very moving. A world we have lost
February 20, 2014
It's wonderful to catch up with classic films that may have lost of their buzz over time. THE NUN'S STORY is truly perfect work but not one that is mentioned in the same breath as other classic films from great directors like Fred Zinneman and star Audrey Hepburn. This sublime film is subtle to the extreme. Almost flat in fact, depicting the inner struggle of a nun who wishes nothing more than to be a citizen of the world, something the convent does not allow. THE NUN'S STORY takes its time. There is no emotion. No evil. No greatness. Just the struggle to define one self and become the person you must be. Simply stunning and perfect!
January 31, 2014
I only really wanted to watch this because I like Audrey Hepburn. I did find this a bit too long and pedestrian and found myself frequently bored as it is a very religious film, but Hepburn's presence stopped me from switching off.
January 23, 2014
Audrey Hepburn is superb as the nun who undergoes a number of personal changes as a sister in an order of nuns. The ending is blunt in a positive way.
September 8, 2013
Audrey Hepburn is brilliant in the story of a disillusioned nun, The part that haunts me is the killing of the nun to cleanse the spirit of a man whose wife has died, hated that part when I saw it years ago, Its a dark film in many places,but has a good story and a great cast,Will Sister Luke remain as a Nun? or will she leave the order?
½ August 15, 2013
Very powerful and overwhelming, it somehow becomes an almost disturbing story of quelling one's humanity.
August 10, 2013
Awesome movie great acting by Audrey
April 5, 2013
great! audrey hepburn gives a magnificent performance as a nun who's torn between her beliefs and her own feelings as a human being.
½ February 6, 2013
Beautiful movie that is a little too long though good performances, touching story and beautiful cinematography.
½ February 4, 2013
I've avoided watching this "The Nun's Story" for years. Came down with the flu and decided to watch it while bed-ridden. Amazing performance by Hepburn and a rather poignant insight into the tension that priests, nuns and religious brothers endure, especially the vow of obedience. I came away with a deep repect for Zinneman and for the cast in what I consider a top-drawer film.
½ February 2, 2013
This movie was way too long and very hard to get into!