The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Reviews

• 2d ago

Despite having an okay direction by Lasse Hallstrom and Joe Johnston and a weak script by Ashleigh Powell, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms still has a great soundtrack by James Newton Howard, stunning visual effects, impeccable production design, cutting-edge costume design, a beautiful cinematography by Linus Sandgren and good performances by Mackenzie Foy, Jayden Fowora-Knight, Keira Knightley, Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman and besides, it's fun and an excellent pastime

• Feb 07, 2020

This movie is a beautiful depiction of the nutcracker and it is definitely a must see, i'm 24 and it made me cry multiple times from how innocent and beautiful it is. this deserves a lot more credit than it has gotten. Please watch it <3

• Jan 24, 2020

Well, on the bright side, Disney is going back to original content. On the other hand, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? Most of this movie has absolutely nothing to do with the nutcracker in general-was he even in the movie?? I was too busy wondering if Clara would ever defeat the evil Sugar-Plum fairy and her most famous quote-"BUT I DONT WANT TO PLAY NICE!"-in a highly underwhelming battle that lasted, what, 7 minutes?? Just, don't bother.

• Jan 13, 2020

This movie is worse than you think. Soulless, predictable, and worst of all boring.

• Jan 11, 2020

Through the doors to Narnia you come to a magical world that reminds you a bit too much of Wizard of OZ and Alice in Wonderland. This movie had all the right elements, but put together, they didn't work as great as expected. The plot was mediocre, but the scenery was nothing short of beautiful. Especially the costumes were breathtaking.

• Jan 10, 2020

I thought the movie did what it was supposed to do..entertain and take me away to another world..it took me on an eye candy journey..sugar overloaded all the way..beautifully shot and gorgeous set pieces..the dancing top notch as you can get..yes there was some overacting..yes parts were dull like weak hot chocolate..but given that..over all it did what it was supposed to do..entertain and take me away to another world..let it grow on you like the Grinch did..become a child again..and let Clara and her friends motion you to join in...and go on that journey with them... ;<

• Jan 07, 2020

It's sad that this film managed to be both dull despite a good foundation of a story, and visually boring and frankly bad despite having potential to showcase a stellar world. The movie lacks so much in terms of fleshing out its characters. They all feel lifeless and I can't tell if it's the script, the cast, the directors fault or all of the above. And this movie had potential to be adequate, probably not amazing but it could have been heaps better than what was made. And as for the visuals , as I said before they're so wonky. The cgi falls apart towards the crucial parts of the film, specifically the climax and ending. It's like the film has already exhausted its budget and had to use what they could. This film is forgettable and will likely fade into Disney's history. The only reason to view this movie is maybe for its fantastic costume deigns, but honestly you're better of googling pictures of the costumes. I'm only making a review because it aired a while ago and I watched it again to see if it was as bad as I remembered and yep it's still bad.

• Dec 27, 2019

I have to disagree with the negative reviews. Yes, this is not really an adaptation of The Nutcracker -- "inspired by" is more like it, at most. The Narnia turn was a bit much -- did they reuse the set? The pacing was so glacial in places that I half expected the Bronte sisters to make an appearance. In places it's schmaltzy enough to do a Hallmark movie proud. And plot twists happen with so little explication they are practically Dei Ex Machina (I had to l look up the plural form). It cries out for a good script doctor. It's great to see a movie where the young female lead is smart and respected for it. But the first scene is of the most absurd Rube Goldberg-esque mousetrap ever, which she made. Is that a smart way to catch a mouse, when a far simpler trap would have worked at least as well? And later when she performs a repair that's meant to impress us, we aren't shown what she's doing. Later when she performs a technical feat that surely must be the most impressive of all, we aren't shown or told anything at all about how she did it. But the positives are so strong they outweigh the negatives. First, the set design is absolutely spectactular; I'm sure I've never seen better. Be sure to see it in 4K if you can. Costumes were fantastic too. And there is so much quirky fun with set and costume design that I felt sure that Tim Burton must be involved (he's not). This is a movie where Helen Mirren can be upstaged by her own makeup. And the mouse CGI was the most realistic I've ever seen -- truly amazing (the individual mouse; not the strange multi-mouse creature). This is one of those movies that looks so good you could enjoy it with the sound off. And much of the acting was very good. Keira Knightley's acting may dismay her fans at first, but then -- well, I don't want to spoil it, but I feel sure her fans will appreciate it. And Mackenzie Foy, playing the lead role at only 18, is remarkable. Like a lot of princess fairy tales, the male roles are mostly kind of cardboard. But Jayden Fowora-Knight breaks through and makes his role memorable. Yes, the story is a fairy tale. Does the story seem more familar than new? Of course -- that's how it goes with fairy tales. Guys, in places it seems made more for girls and women than for boys and men. Just be patient and they soon move on to things more interesting to us. It's worth the wait. The most disappointing part was that it could have been much better. The angst between the main character and her father was unecessary, overwrought, and gobbled up a lot of screen time. Yet main events aren't given enough exposition. We're given a tour of a castle's fabulous appointments, but the time would have been better spent showing us more about the movie's strange fantasy world. I would recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates good acting, impressive and unusual set and costume design, and realistic animal CGI. There is a lot to like about this movie. Just be patient, and don't expect The Nutcracker.

• Dec 27, 2019

I really enjoyed watching this film. I'm a full grown woman and it kept me interested without anyone else to join me. All of the actors were charming and mystical. The scenery was magical, intense, beautiful, spooky and invoked a lot of emotions. There were huge, scary landscapes and a colorful interior design with the mansion that seemed to match the main cast member's outfits. The story was a lesson revealing perfectly, creatively, and smart enough to teach the kiddies a lesson in self- belief and self-worth - and me too! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to watch it with the kiddies. Oh, and it's always a treat to get a little bit of Morgan Freeman as a Godfather! We didn't see him much but enough to make an impact. I recommend this brilliant Christmas movie on any night of the week to do a little family or friendly bonding.

• Dec 25, 2019

As a young woman in my 20s I loved it and I know as a girl I would have been totally captivated by its magic. I don't usually like cgi but the set is utterly stunning and has all the over-the-top magic of Christmas and swirling ballet sets combined, with enough of the darkness that children love to counter the sickly sweet too usually found in Christmas films. The heroine is not only brave but a clever engineer, maybe this isn't important to all the male reviewers out there but I can't tell you how happy it made me to see a girl totally kickass in a world due to her leadership and problem solving - and to have this the main trait that other characters valued. Clara was engaging to watch, as was the nutcracker, they had a heartwarming and believable chemistry. Another feminist brownie point (spoiler) despite this, the real story at play was Clara's relationship with her family and their recovery together after the loss of her mother, I loved that she didn't end up with the boy and instead took charge of the parting scene, returning to her own life (this is not seen enough in films!!) I also loved how they kept Tchaikovsky's music throughout & the ballet homage in the middle. Overall I found the film charming and empowering from start to finish and even if it hasn't won over the crusty reviewers out there, its a Christmas film that will secure its place in the hearts and minds of determined little girls for years to come.