The Opening Act Reviews

• Nov 23, 2020

I saw The Opening Act over the weekend...really enjoyed it. It was shot well, story was engaging and loved the use of all the comics in it.

• Nov 14, 2020

This guy just might possibly be the worst stand up comedian I ever saw in my life 2.3. I can’t stress enough how terrible of a stand up this guy was at stand up . It inspires me to give stand up a shot . Tom segura legit made a 30 second appearance and was great

• Nov 09, 2020

Loved it! Great performances by several comedians. It's an all star cast. Loved the DJ radio scene. Great quick tags on great tension on great big comedians...holy shit Russell Peters. And you can tell Will Burr is having fun! My favorite moments come from the balance between Neil Brennan and Cedric The Entertainer's relationship with Jimmy Yang. In the end, it's a love letter to comedy. Highly recommend if you enjoy laughing and self reflection. Great film by Steve Byrne.

• Nov 08, 2020

The story of every wannabe comedians struggles. It does well explaining everything in an organic way. It's pretty shallow of a movie where characters are barley explored and plot is pretty obvious. Guy struggling kinda makes it in end. Was nice to see all the comedians. But some dialogue was cringe and forced.

• Nov 03, 2020

Directed by Steve Byrne and starring Jimmy O. Yang among other comedians is a great movie. If you've ever gone to see a comedian and wondered what it was like to get into clubs then you will enjoy this movie.

• Nov 03, 2020

Great movie! If your a stand up nerd it is a Where's Waldo of comics.

Great movie! If your a stand up nerd it is a Where's Waldo of comics.

• Nov 02, 2020

Loved this movie. Such an exciting look into the world of Standup Comedy.

Loved this movie. Such an exciting look into the world of Standup Comedy.

• Oct 28, 2020

This is a Cinderella story, of sorts. Jimmy O. Yang does a fantastic job as Will Chu, an aspiring standup with serious confidence issues. He doesn't take advice very well and when he bombs, I had serious empathy. He can really sell that kind of sympathy. I worked in a comedy club for a summer and there are a lot of angry, damaged comedians. Glad that this movie spares us from that. What we are shown are a lot of comedians with other issues. Will Chu has issues, but has managed not to gorge on substances or empty hook-ups. Cedric The Entertainer seriously delivers as the successful headliner and sage elder. Alex Moffat does a great job creating a believable character. The rest of the star comedians occupy their roles beautifully. Writer/director Steve Byrne does a fantastic job coralling what was surely ego overload and everyone shines in small ways because of it.

• Oct 26, 2020

Great movie from Steve Byrne! Entertaining from start to finish. A must see for comedy fans. This movie is as high and tight as my jeans. I got thru it in 4 strokes. It should always be playing at the falcon car wash. Go buy it don't be stingy. Oh yeah and segura is in it too. What a chomo

• Oct 25, 2020

Great inside look at what I'm sure all comics go through in pursuit of their craft. Ignore the dings for technical issues and "lacking emotional depth" (whatever the hell that means). This is a great movie for anyone that loves the practice of comedy. It prompts respect for anyone that pursues the dark art, whether you think they are funny or not.