The Oranges - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Oranges Reviews

June 10, 2014
This was quite an unnecessary movie I'd say. Cast was cute but the story was lame and it was very predictable. I also didn't like Leighton Meester's acting, she sure was pretty but annoyingly dull. There was no need for a movie like this, it was unbearable even for 90 minutes.
May 10, 2014
Pretty lame movie, hard to believe some of these actors signed on.
April 12, 2014
House gets his romantic comedy on in an unusual way. Competent direction and a good cast accompany a decent story about following your bliss.
April 6, 2014
The storyline sounded more interesting than it actually turned out to be.
March 26, 2014
So, the big names might not live up to their sizable reputations - this was a nice way to waste my Wednesday night. Despite the harsh reviews, The Oranges deserves a little credit for putting a few smiles on our faces.
½ March 18, 2014
like 'the graduate' plus a lot of other rom-com-s = this one
March 5, 2014
Quirky comedy about two super-close families who are thrown for a loop when the daughter of one family becomes romantically involved with the father of the other one. It's sometimes laugh out loud funny. It's weird, too. Nothing too great or too awful. It sort of hangs in the middle, to me.

Some people may have an issue with the fact that this movie seems to take the idea of a married man sleeping with a woman half his age very lightly. And it does, to me. The situations afterwards are often comical and mostly devoid of the kind of emotional turmoil a relationship like this would cause. If one can accept that this movie doesn't want to be dramatic about it all, you should be okay.

I've read a review that believes the movie's philosophy ("Sometimes you have to burn your house down to see the moon.") is hedonistic. I didn't see it that way. Given the context in which it is spoken, and the end results of everything, I took it to mean that sometimes you reaaaally have to screw things up before you can see beauty, or the big picture. Vanessa accentuates this when she says in voice-over that she does not blame Nina for everything that has happened, because perhaps what happened *needed* to happen. The characters begin to do things in their lives that they otherwise would not have if things hadn't gotten so incredibly bad. Nina's selfish and immature shenanigans are merely the catalyst in which they are finally inspired to move and improve themselves. Although the movie, like I said, deals with everything lightly, there is a sort of message in here that one can take as not trumpeting the wonders of hedonistic pursuits of pleasure, but actually speaking a kind of truth to the human experiences of loss, pain, and gigantic mistakes temporarily disguised as happiness. Good can come from even the worst of situations.
½ March 3, 2014
I don't know, from the trailer I suppose I expected there to be more of a build up to this relationship, but the movie plateaued very quickly and didn't seem able to pick itself back up.
½ February 13, 2014
Interesting idea, but ultimately ridiculous.
January 29, 2014
I actually didn't think it was as bad as most of the reviews said. Yes it fell apart in the second half but the first half was pretty decent. Still overall it was very much irrelevant and in a week or two I will have forgotten everything about it.
January 28, 2014
Maybe it's because I like the actors/actresses in this movie, and I feel their chemistry together works, and I may be alone on this, but I enjoyed this movie! It has that light dry humor that isn't overdone, and the outcome of the movie isn't TOTALLY predictable. I say ignore the critic and other audience reviews (33% from each at the time of this review), and give this movie a chance!
½ January 24, 2014
Was very surprised by this film. I laughed a lot, even at the small random moments. Def worth a see, I'd buy it
January 23, 2014
It started off brilliantly but didn't live up to the promise. Ultimately it's just a sweet quirky family comedy where people figure shit out. 33%? Come on, there's much worse. It was a decent film.
January 16, 2014
When the disenchanted voice-over of young adult Vanessa began to set up the story, I settled in for what I thought might be an interesting piece about adult family life. Disappointingly, the script deteriorated into a bland and remarkably unspecial film about a young woman who initiates a scandalous fling with her father's best friend and neighbor.

Tears and anger ensue. Everyone is estranged at Christmas-time.
But does the audience even truly care?

I respect Hugh Laurie and some of the other fine actors in this film, but I question their role choices. In years from now no one will remember a movie called The Oranges. I'm not so sure anyone's even heard of it now!
January 11, 2014
No resolution at the end for me
½ January 4, 2014
I loved it. It was funny and while the romance between the daughter and the neighbor was a bit unusual, it touched on alot of the emotions of a family going thru a breakup because of a cheating spouse. The ending was excellent - Maybe what happened happened because it needed to happen. Loved it.
January 2, 2014
interesting drama involving two families who are close becoming just that little too close when dad of one family has affair with daughter of other family. complicated.
December 24, 2013
Delicious, well-crafted comediodrama about how maturity often means gritting your teeth when something you don't like happens and how disasters lead to shaking up lives - sometimes to let people get higher than they would normally do.
December 3, 2013
The most impressive thing about this movie is how unlikable the characters are. One could expect to not like half of them in a movie like this, but all of them? Oddly enough, the first boyfriend turns out to be the only half-decent one.

Not a horrible premise: girls are friends. Pretty friend moves off to become something else, the ordinary one stays behind and still lives with mom and dad. They're all neighbors, and all the parents are still the best of friends. Pretty girl moves back after a fallout with boyfriend, then begins an affair with ordinary girl's dad. This has probably happened once or twice, and probably a decent book has been written on the subject. Not the intent of this movie. Instead, each parent and each girl is unlikable and does little to make anyone like them. And when I don't like the shallow characters, I tend not to care about the movie. Fortunately, this was a free rental from the library!