The Other Dream Team - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Dream Team Reviews

August 17, 2014
If you're someone who finds history in text books to often be difficult to read, this film approaches history from a human and cultural perspective. It gives you insights into the lives and people who fought for freedom from the soviet union and what life was like at that time. It keeps you at the edge of your seat rooting the Lithuanians to their victory, their freedom. One of the best films I have seen that is able to blend the story of individual triumph, a nation's fight for freedom, basketball, and even music.
August 8, 2014
Phenomenal sports doc! As good as any of the "30 for 30's" I've seen. Does a good job of tying in the atrocities experienced by the people of Lithuania under Soviet rule. It proves that sports help unite people and give them hope, courage and strength in the face of adversity. To win a gold medal for a country they were forced to play for, then fight and gain their independence, only to get to face that same country, no longer under their rule, for a medal 4 years later....it doesn't get any more dramatic, in my opinion. Great film, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen!
½ June 19, 2013
More of a political and historical documentary than sports documentary, The Other Dream Team provides a story of inspiring figures that took part in a monumental but forgotten moment of European history. The film just occasionally loses its focus from the story in an unnecessary attempt to connect to the current.
January 14, 2013
In 1988 the United States felt crushed that they lost the gold medal in the Seoul Olympic games to the Soviet Union men's basketball team. This documentary shows us why we shouldn't have felt so demoralized over that defeat as the Soviets used four Lithuanian players to win that coveted medal -- four Lithuanians who detested everything the USSR stood for. A mere four years later -- after the destruction of the Soviet Union -- the Lithuanians were able to compete under their own national flag and strive to become medal contenders for their own national glory.
October 20, 2012
I'm actually stunned at some of the poor reviews I've read. They reflect the growing distance in time from the Cold War era and a telling example of how history can be so delicately skewed once removed from the first hand accounts and experiences of those involved. When reviewer criticized the film as a "flag-waving work of Lithuanian nationalism", he was absolutely right. Unfortunately, he meant it as a criticism which only illustrated the broader lack of understanding for the Baltic states' plight (or any occupied state) while under Soviet control and the resounding impact it had on the preservation of national and cultural identity for those forced to endure during that time period. The film itself does an excellent job of highlighting the incredibly difficult realities of living under Soviet rule, the profound role sport played for millions as a an escape from the harsh realities of daily life and the new lives many have found as a result of the fall of the Soviet Union. It's ironic that some have criticized the film for glorifying the role of sport in the film...while we live in a country (the US) where sport has come to be an exaggerated, overarching influence in virtually every aspect of our daily lives. If anything, this documentary should be exalted as an example of the positive influence sport can have instead of the scandal ridden, profit driven commercialized industry it's become in our own country.
August 13, 2012
January 2012 at Sundance.
October 21, 2014
A very informative documentary chronicling the history of Lithuania through its love of basketball. From its championship winning days in the 30's and it's occupation by Russia in the 40's to its fight for independence in the late 80's. The stamp of freedom is highlighted by the '92 Olympics in Barcelona on the road to defeat their long - time oppresors. It's another angle of Basketball from the '92 Olympics where all the focus was on the USA dream team.
August 17, 2014
August 8, 2014
August 4, 2014
I never knew why there was a Grateful Dead tie-in to the Lithuanian basketball team. A decent history lesson and a sports movie, rolled into one.
October 5, 2012
Amazing story, lost in the shadow of the Dream Team. Great movie.
August 23, 2013
One of the best sports documentaries I've seen in a very long time, but this movie is about a lot more than just basketball. And just when you think you know the story,, the Grateful Dead make an appearance. Great movie.
½ August 8, 2013
Another in the long line of fabulous 30 For 30 documentaries. This one documents the history of the Lithuanian basketball team & it's unwilling affiliation with the USSR. Really interesting and full of historical & political lessons
July 28, 2013
Great documentary through the lens of Basketball, but captures the story of a nation and its people.
July 18, 2013
Really nice, touching documentary.
½ June 19, 2013
½ June 2, 2013
watched it during EoS in Jakarta, it was great. if u're about to watch this, u better prepare some tissues with u :)
October 1, 2012
Amazing heart felt movie about the underdogs.
½ April 24, 2013
A los que gozamos con la NBA de los 90' jamás se nos olvidará ver a esa gigantón de los Blazers asistiendo como el mejor base. Sabonis es probablemente el pivot más hábil que ha pasado por la liga (con el permiso de Hakeem), y en este tremendo documental vemos la historia de sus equipos, de sus medallas olímpicas, y de su país..... siempre desde un punto de vista made in USA, no podía ser perfecto, pero vale completamente la pena.