The Other F Word - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other F Word Reviews

November 30, 2012
Damn. If these guys can be amazing fathers, I've got no excuse. Never thought I'd say the lead singer of Pennywise inspired me be more to Noah than I already am. Good flick.
November 4, 2012
"Maybe the way change the world is by raising better kids"
cosmo313
November 1, 2012
Punk rockers traditionally seem like the last type of guys you would think of as being good fathers, but that is exactly what this documentary sets out to prove: that being a "punk rock dad" isn't an oxymoron after all.

The film was initially inspired by Pennywise frontman Jim Lindberg's book Punk Rock Dad, and he is the main focus here< as the film follows his life of trying to juggle being a father and the singer for one of the giants of the punk world. Along the way, he is joined by a Greek chorus of fellow punks and counter culture guys (like Tony Hawk) who also weigh in on the idea of punk fathers and give their sides of the story.

The set up I gave you isn't actually stated in the film, which sucks, and could be disorienting for some people. The commentary track says all this, but the film itself doesn't. And by all of that, I mean how the film is primarily structured around Lindberg. That aside, this is a really good documentary. It's funny, charming, insightful, and at times, really moving and heartfelt. I do wish some of these guys got more screen time than others, but it is nevertheless funny as hell to see a playground clear out as soon as Lars Fredrickson and his kid show up, all because Lars is covered head to toe with tons of tattoos.

I also absolutely loved how the film humanized these guys, and showed that they are trying to learn from the past and be the figures that many (though not all) of them never had in their lives. Not only are these guys able to be both punks and fathers, some of them are actually excellent fat being dads. It seems weird to think of guys who preach anti-authoritarian messages as being good disciplinarians, but they somehow make it work.

The music is of course really good, if you dig punk that is, and the interview segments/concert footage is all shot nicely too.

Overall, this is a wonderful film, and one you should definitely see. Probably the most poignant way to describe this movie is by one of the taglines: punk rock never meant to grow up, but it did.
October 28, 2012
'I don't know where he is sometimes, and I don't know where he is right now. Once he went to Texas.'
½ October 24, 2012
Excellent documentary showing the contrasts between being a punk rocker and a family guy - with lots of great music to discover.
October 4, 2012
As punk rock dads recall their own difficult childhoods, their absent fathers and abusive stepfathers, they assert their determination to "be there" for their own kids. A well made documentary & a good hearted film all around,I say SEE IT!!!
September 23, 2012
Excellent documentaire sur les "punk rock dads". Pennywise, NOFX, Bad Religion, Black Flag, Rancid, Rise Against, Blink... Fascinant de voir le parcour de ces gars, 20 ans plus tard. On y voit aussi Jim, le chanteur de Pennywise decider de quitter le band pour se concentrer sur sa famille. Tous ces mecs semblent avoir eu 1 truc en commun: une relation difficile avec un p√®re violent, intransigant ou absent. √?a fait r√©fl√©chir...
September 20, 2012
I stabled across the documentary THE OTHER F WORD yesterday . The movie looks at some of my favourite punk icons like Lars Frederiksen (rancid), Fat Mike (nofx) and mostly follows Jim Lindberg (pennywise) and how they can go from being ultimate anti-authoritarians punk rockers to being a awesome dad. This movie really is a eye-opener and relatable when they tell their stories of coming from broken homes and their up brings and why they are there for the children. Most of the film follow‚(TM)s Jim Lindberg of pennywise for 200+ days as has he talks about how hard it is to leave his family to tour. Amazing movie that also stars: Art Alexakis, Flea, Tony Hawk & many more. DO MISS THIS MOVIE
@mikes_moviepick
September 11, 2012
Definite watch. 40something punk rockers spill about life after anarchy.
September 11, 2012
Great movie. I highly recommend it. If you're a parent and/or like punk rock you should enjoy it too.
September 9, 2012
Great film about a lot of the punk bands I grew up listening to and how their lives changed when they became fathers. All new level of respect for Jim Lindbergh (ex singer of Pennywise). Kids are such an incredible blessing. This movie puts a lot in perspective.
September 8, 2012
mooie, maar ook tragische, docu over punkrock EN vader zijn. "maybe punkrock was never meant to grow up, but it did" Kijktip!
½ September 5, 2012
This is a charming documentary about punk rockers and people associated with that anti-authority lifestyle who suddenly find themselves grown up with kids, and how they reconcile the values of their different lifestyle. Some famous musicians and personalities are heavily featured, including Jim Lindberg (Pennywise), Art Alexaxis (Everclear), Ron Reyes (Black Flag), Matt Freeman and Lars Frederiksen (Rancid), Tim McIlrath (Rise Against), Mark Hoppus (blink 182), Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Tony Hawk. The film delves into their family lives and how touring on the road has changed as each of them has grown older. The best parts show these heavily tattooed and pierced rockers trying to instill in their young children the very values that they raged against when they were younger.
September 5, 2012
I gave this a strong 5 because it was a surprise that it was SO riveting and enjoyable....this is a sleeper of a movie because most people have not heard of it....I highly recommend watching this flick, and it's even better when you watch it with your family, too!....Check it out, you won't regret it.....
August 19, 2012
An interesting look into the lives of the aging 'Lords of Punk' as they become and in most cases better than the people they raged against all those years ago.
August 9, 2012
Pennywise! Get to see how some punk bands travel and deal with parenthood.
July 21, 2012
I picked this documentary randomly not expecting to learn anything, well I was wrong. Punk rockers are known for to be against rules of society and parental advice. Their anger translates into screaming songs and vandalism...see what happens when fatherhood hit them...
July 18, 2012
Fabulous.

Really enjoyable documentary about being a punk rock dad.

Which is what I am.

Obviously.

Not.

Still they make a good crack at it and one of them decides he'd rather sit on the beach with his lovely wife and 3 daughters than in a sweaty room full of pogoing dickheads. Yeah. Go figure.
July 17, 2012
Funny, Touching and wery realistic!!! this movie shows you cases that could go wrong but it went well. And makes you think that sometimes fatherhood can change it all...
½ July 13, 2012
"The Other F Word" (hint: it's "fatherhood") is a nice little documentary if (if!) you can focus on the emotional issues and ignore the punk-rock participants' adolescent crudeness and formulaic, retread music. Adding a couple of skateboarders to the interview subjects weakens the film's thrust, but the heart of the story is outgoing Pennywise singer Jim Lindberg, who seems admirably grounded as he matter-of-factly touches up his gray beard and sighs about the repetitive grind of touring.