The Outlaw Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

Hard to tell how bad is movie when soundtrack so worst. Everything amateur: script, acting, directing, editing, music score. Plus, characters not true to word. (If no have word then what have?) So bad this movie, so many ways!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2018

There's Billy the Kid in this story. Doc Holiday's in it too. Think they'll duke it out or maybe a lowdown showdown shootout between two infamous fast guns? That anticipation is the given reason for you hanging around, the justification. But the show is really about Russell's, umm, well, perhaps I've already said it. Howard Hughes does a okay Western, but first let's get 'em in the seats, yah, and that's up to Russell. I don't think ol'Howard was all that crazy.

• Sep 28, 2018

As lendas do Western Pat Garrett (xerife), Doc Holliday and Billy the Kid se encontram em cidade pela disputa do cavalo de Doc, que está com Billy. Nisso aparece Rio, com sede de vingança conta Billy. Hughes faz um filme muito ruim.

• Oct 25, 2016

Weak, cheesy and too long. One beautiful woman, but the whole time I kept wondering is this a bad comedy or a romantic drama? Too bad, it could have been great.

• Jun 24, 2016

Howard Hughes' infamous "sex western" featuring Jane Russell in her film debut. The film was started by Howard Hawks as director and Hughes took over after Hawks left to make his brilliant "Sergeant York." I'd never actually seen this film before until now and it is a surprisingly crass film for the time, quite obviously centering the film around building Russell up as a sex symbol. Russell thankfully was able to shed this label and grew to be a major start in her own right, without the sex symbol tag. But back to this film in particular, there's a ridiculous story that involves historic western figures Pat Garrett, Doc Holliday, and Billy the Kid all meeting up in a town together (as far as I know, Holliday never met up with these two) and then go up against each other for the attention of sex bomb Russell. There's a fair amount of talent behind this film besides just Hawks, which also includes a script by Jules Furthman and uncredited work by Ben Hecht. There's photography by Gregg Toland and uncredited work by Lucien Ballard. There's also a nice score by Victor Young. But like most Howard Hughes productions, Hughes could not help meddling and end up making kind of a mess and merely a mediocre film. I suppose it's not a bad film, but it certainly could have been a whole lot better considering the talent in front of a behind the camera.

• Aug 21, 2015

The stories and circumstances surrounding the film are far more interesting and memorable than the film itself. The acting is bad, the dialogue is bad, the story is bad.

• Jun 25, 2015

While Jane Russell looks seductive and lights up the screen the film is actually boring, its some kind of cowboy buddy movie where the two main characters just flirt with each other, the film doesn't really go anyway but in parts its pretty good probably the last half an hour, worth a watch though.

• Dec 27, 2014

Billy the Kid was every kid's hero in those days. But the posters of Jane Russell was the main reason that I risked getting caught. She didn't let me down. Her first film, and it showed, but wow, she was a creature from another planet. I'd certainly seen nothing like her. Having been brought up on Johnny Mac Brown, the Durango kid, and the like, this film was, at the time, a revelation... B-Western Deluxe--The Outlaw is infamous for it being Howard Hughes' tribute to his discovery, Jane Russell, and her voluptuous breasts. You would think then that the movie would be centered around Russell, but no, Hughes apparently (and unfortunately) attempted a legit Western... Broke Bra Mountain!!

• Jun 09, 2014

Brilliant comedy-drama with excellent acting from the cast and imaginative directing by Mr Hughes. There is a love (male) triangle, a magnificent beauty, and the best horse in the West to watch. The Music is constant except for the last scene. Sometimes it is like a Seinfeld episode with quirks as if it were a laugh track and other times it is classical and moving. Jane Russell is drop dead gorgeous. Jack Buetel is wonderfully funny. Walter Huston is so likeable as Doc, and Thomas Mitchell as the wiley and jealous Garrett makes comical and serious situations for the players. This makes my list.

• Aug 02, 2013

Pat Garrett, now a sheriff, wants to do Billy the Kid in for murder. But his former friend Doc Holliday helps Billy flea after a shootout, and takes him to his girl Rio, whose brother was killed by him, but who nevertheless can’t help falling in love with him. Historically, it makes little sense and apart from Jane Russell’s well publicised cleavage, there isn’t much worth remembering in this dull and overstretched film.