The Painted Veil Reviews

• Jul 12, 2019

The nuanced characters and beautiful scenery make this movie unique and interesting.

• Jan 15, 2018

I am not usually much of a romance film enthusiast however the drama is good enough to have made me enjoy this film as i do enjoy films where there is some sort of epidemic and the romance is not too heavy like in god awful romcoms. Also they way the characters become in love with each other is in the end nicely done.

• Oct 22, 2017

Lagged a little in spots, but otherwise well-acted and a beautiful film showing how one can love for someone's merits, rather than romantic affection.

• Feb 23, 2017

complex diversional script and good drama makes it a treasure to watch.

complex diversional script and good drama makes it a treasure to watch.

• Jan 02, 2017

Has a strong cast and starts well but does get pretty boring despite some nice scenery.. If the film is this dull then I won't be reading the book anytime soon.

• Jan 01, 2017

Falls a bit flat for me. I think it's the performances of Norton and Watts that just don't bring the subtlety that the writing calls for. I didn't believe them, which kept me at a distance.

• Dec 25, 2016

Wonderful photography! Naomi Watts and Edward Norton deliver an almost as equally wonderful performance as the photography. A touching story, yet at times not engaging enough.

• Nov 08, 2016

Drags in places, but still a very good movie.

Drags in places, but still a very good movie.

• Nov 08, 2016

4/5 Ratings for The Painted Veil F: 74 % R: 26 % Romance 30% Drama 70%

4/5 Ratings for The Painted Veil F: 74 % R: 26 % Romance 30% Drama 70%

• Nov 07, 2016

During the 1920's cholera epidemic, newly weds, Walter and Kitty Fane go to China where the outbreak is at its worst. Walter focusing on his studies as a bacteriologist, leaves Kitty feeling lonely. Suppressed by the social structure of 1920's China, Kitty resorts to helping in an orphanage to fulfill herself in ways her husband doesn't. Both Kitty and Walter, (Naomi Watts and Edward Norton) are dynamic characters with opposite intentions which makes for an enthralling love story with a mesmerizing soundtrack.