The Painting Reviews

• Sep 23, 2019

"The Painting" is a transcendental and fundamental of art, not just for adults perspective but for children as well. One of the best-animated films of the year, probably, and it reminds me of films I watched as a kid. I can call it like Disney films. I can call it also like fantasy films such as "The Wizard of Oz" or "The Chronicles of Narnia". This is a true knock out both in art and movies. The movie goes beyond our imagination.

• Feb 03, 2018

Unique, mature and a treat for the eyes. When I get my hands on the English version I'll definitely give it a rewatch.

• Jan 08, 2017

I really liked the animation in The Painting which is so fittingly artistic and sometimes quite beautiful to witness, but I disliked the character design which felt rough and odd to me. The story is solid, but too simplistic, the characters are entirely forgettable and although the film is very well made and sometimes inspired, it could have been much better anyway.

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

The Painting is not for kids, yet it does have a child-like earnestness that combines with the simple elegance of the animation to give the film a charming quality. It is a short and sweet little film.

• Oct 06, 2015

"The Painting" is, for lack of a better term, a work of art. It is clearly a cartoon for adults and not just because of the nude painting. The story is a parable about unfairly judging others and would likely be of little interest to younger children. While some might scoff at this story for lacking "maturity," the simplicity of its plot allows us to full absorb the visual beauty without distraction. This is especially helpful if you are watching with English subtitles while trying to enjoy the artistry on this canvas... and the artistry off of the canvas as these characters venture out of the paintings and into the real world. The animators faced a tough challenge as the world inside of each painting took on a different style from Picasso to Matisse, but the end result is an enormous success. The surrealist colors of the Allduns are stunning and effectively contrasted by the simple black and white appearance of the charcoal Sketchies. The backdrops come to life and the conversations between paintings are very clever. I wouldn't give this film Disney ratings when it comes to storytelling abilities, but "The Painting" is a feast for the eyes that should not be overlooked.

• Dec 25, 2014

This enchanting fable takes place in an unfinished painting where completed figures, partially-painted figures, and loosely-sketched figures live in a stringent caste system. Looking to establish equal rights for all, a group of these subjects venture outside of the frame in the hopes of tracking down the artist and convincing him to finish his work. The Painting does not have subtle allegories, but it does have a crisp pace, lovely animation, and some stirring characters. It's a fine option for anyone looking for an animated feature that veers a little left of the Disney mold.

• Dec 13, 2014

Very creative and beautifully animated!

Very creative and beautifully animated!

• Nov 20, 2014

I loved this film. Very sweet.

I loved this film. Very sweet.

• Jul 21, 2014

I'm surprised I never heard of this movie before now. This was wonderful. How are you not going to like a movie about the characters living in a fauvist painting, who can jump from world to world? Only fault that the movie didn't get more exquisite and enchanting than it did. However, with visuals such as it had, charm such as it had, and an ending you rather expected but which still gave goosebumps... I can't help but give it 5 stars and call it a new fave, one that should be watched over and over by children of all ages and elaborated upon in your own fantasies and daydreams and art.

• Jul 19, 2014

A collection of interesting ideas that ultimately go nowhere, and aren't much fun along the way.