The Passion of Bernadette Reviews

• Aug 17, 2011

A very acceptable religious movie about Bernadette Soubirous that pushes the right buttons without becoming sentimental.

• Jan 11, 2009

see the original its better

see the original its better

• Aug 15, 2008

awesome movie. people should watch it. maybe theyd learn how to act.

awesome movie. people should watch it. maybe theyd learn how to act.

• Jun 12, 2008

Jean Delannoy died yesterday at the age of 100, depressed that his films were no longer shown on French television. I hope where he is now he knows he had a fan who liked some of his movies enough to have asked for their inclusion in the Flixster database. Delannoy was 80 when he directed this film, which, together with its sequel, "La Passion de Bernadette" is in my opinion the best depiction of holiness on screen. And the reason why it is so good is that it is simple and neither tries to go for artsy, modernistic pathos, nor for cheesy hagiography, nor for the dechristianized watering down common with such films. In terms of screenwriting and filmmaking, "Bernadette" and its sequel are probably inferior to "The Song of Bernadette", but as a sincere document on a remarkable woman and her encounter with the miraculous, I think it is even better. If you are interested in learning more about the story of the apparitions in Lourdes, the best source is Rene Laurentin's exhaustive research.