The Patriot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Patriot Reviews

October 17, 2016
Enough nuclear power to level three cities are stolen by three men in a pickup truck and the Navy has no one on its current roster up to the task of bringing the goods back. Every girl Ryder engages has two questions--where he's been and why he didn't call. Leslie Nielson would not be relegated to these roles for much longer.
½ April 6, 2016
Something of a relic of the cold-war with its story, as a movie it has pretty poor production value throughout.
½ September 9, 2013
The Patriot is one of those bad movies that probably should have never been made. If there was a passion for it, it certainly doesn't come across in the final product. The film is about an ex-Navy guy who is out for revenge against a group of criminals that killed his scuba diving girlfriend. The criminals are also smuggling nuclear warheads, which interests the Navy and they subsequently enlist this guy into stopping them before they cause world chaos. Despite pop ups from actors like Jeff Conaway and Leslie Nielsen (whose appearance is hung on the marketing for the film on DVD nowadays), it's a pretty boring and uninteresting movie. The action is subpar, as is the dialogue, story and score. Easily skippable.
½ October 27, 2012
Naval officers track stolen nuclear weapons to an oil rig after finding a weapon label on the ocean floor of all places. How fortunate. I thought character actor Glenn made a decent lead. Leslie Neilson is always a value add in serious roles.
½ February 8, 2012
½ May 14, 2011
Over a decade before Mel Gibson and Steven Segal portrayed a 'Patriot' in their separate and totally unrelated films there was Gregg Henry. Never heard of him? Well he is actually a really underrated actor that has appeared in dozens of great movies.... but sadly "The Patriot" isn't one of them. Hey, what can you expect from the director who gave us such unwatchable action junk like "Killpoint" and "Low Blow".

Well we get some jackasses steal a nuclear warhead and a salvage crew member notices that her boss is up to some sneaky shit after finding a nuclear radiation sticker. She approaches her old friend, our patriot, with her information and he takes it upon himself to do some investigating which in turn gets his friend killed. In comes the Navy who gives our 'patriot' an offer he can't refuse, a reinstatement into the military with his dishonorable discharge to honorable if he can catch the terrorists. The result is a few by-the-number action scenes that action fans have seen time and time before and better.

Compared to director Frank Harris's previous two films I've had the displeasure to witness, "The Patriot" comes about being a step better... but not by much. The production values are a hair better and his handling of the camera has improved a bit but overall the direction is still piss poor.

What also helps this film rise above Harris's previous films is the cast as we actually get good actors for a change. Sure there are a handful of the directors stock actors that reappear but casting Gregg Henry in the lead role helps tremendously. This guy is seriously underrated and it's great to finally see him get an actual main starring role but sadly it had to be such drivel like this. Hell we even get a short appearance by the late great Leslie Nielsen as an admiral.

The cast may be better but director Fank Harris proves yet again how inept his behind the camera. With an actual director with talent this could have been an action film worth hunting down but as is it's just another forgettable C-grade 80s action film. Underrated actors like Gregg Henry deserve so much better than rubbish like "The Patriot".