The Perfect Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perfect Family Reviews

½ April 9, 2014
This would have been bad even for a
made for TV movie. Simply put boring, terrible
½ January 9, 2014
I actually liked this a little more than I thought I would. I can't help feel that it would have been a better movie without Kathleen Turner, though....
October 20, 2013
Dark comedy about how one's faith clouds our relations with family
½ July 31, 2013
Kathleen Turner, Emily Deschanel, and Michael McGrady literally knocked me down with their performances in this, especially Kathleen's. Not what I was expecting.
June 23, 2013
Very heartfelt and moving. This movie took a more middle of the road approach and it is in its subtleties where the charm of this movie is found. I can see why some might not respond to this movie because nothing hits you over the head, but personally I appreciated that in this movie. Nicely done.
June 2, 2013
Actually interesting
May 10, 2013
The Sin of Pride

My mother is Catholic. I was raised Catholic myself. This means, in practical terms, that my mother expects certain things of me and sometimes literally does not believe that they are otherwise. I don't know if it's why I don't always try to convince her otherwise; it has generally seemed to me to be easier not to say anything and let her believe what she wants if her belief won't change how I live my life anyway. I think this is one of the reasons I liked this film more than the average. Yes, it's painful in some ways, but I also understood it better. Mom knew pretty quickly that she didn't have a perfect family; if you include her siblings, she knew it well before I was born, much less by the time my own issues first became apparent. However, no one is going to nominate my mother as having a perfect Catholic family any time soon, and I'm sure she knows that much, at least.

Eileen Cleary (Kathleen Turner), however, is even better at ignoring her family's failings than my mother. What's more, Eileen is one of those people who does everything around the church. She drives for Meals on Wheels. She goes to mass every day, even Confession. Not only does she go to mass, she serves at mass. She does so much, in fact, that Monsignor Murphy (Richard Chamberlain) nominates her for Catholic Woman of the Year. Sister Joan (Rebecca Wackler), however, nominates Agnes Dunn (Sharon Lawrence), more vocally pious but less actually helpful. Eileen and Agnes have been in competition their whole lives. This time, it is implied that the decision will come down to how good their families are as well. Unfortunately, Eileen's husband, Frank (Michael McGrady), is a recovering alcoholic. Her son, Frank, Jr. (Jason Ritter), "had" to marry his now-wife, and he is leaving her and the kids for a cosmetologist. And "worst" of all, her daughter, Shannon (Emily Deschanel), is a pregnant lesbian about to marry her girlfriend.

I'm torn between amusement and sorrow that Shannon is five months pregnant and hasn't told her family about either the baby or her soon-to-be-wife, Angela (Angelique Cabral). She was waiting for the right time, and that right time was taking its own sweet time in coming. As it is so often wont to do, of course. Angela's family knows and supports her, being rather more American Catholic than Eileen is. (American Catholics are more likely than Catholics elsewhere to be socially liberal.) However, I also believe that Angela already knew that about them before she told them, which made the whole thing easier. Shannon knew how her mother would react--I was at least as pregnant as she with my daughter when I told my mother, and that only because she was coming up to visit me and would figure it out whether I told her or not--and so basically chose not to tell her. Her mother's beliefs taught that she was wrong, and her mother didn't bother to question them even after it was obvious that it was hurting her daughter.

Frank, Jr., seems rather more of an unpleasant character all the way 'round, to be honest, though I wonder how much of that is his displeasure at having been trapped in a marriage he didn't want. The implication I got was that he and his wife had sex once. She got pregnant. He married her because he'd been taught that he had no other options. Doubtless she married him for the same reason. Their happiness was, of course, never part of it, any more than Eileen worried about her own happiness when deciding to stay with a drunken husband. I suppose the reason I liked Shannon so much was that she didn't let what other people told her was right prevent her from doing what she thought was right; Frank, Jr., couldn't yet figure out how to do that. That's enough to make pretty much anyone be unpleasant, especially when he sees his mother getting an award for the whole thing. She's being honoured for what he sees as ruining his life.

I'll admit I rather dislike that the nun is the one looking for vocal piety without worrying about good acts. Not only is it against Catholic dogma, the recent events in the Church have rather indicated that it's nuns who are more aware of that. And, yes, part of it is the joke of having now-openly gay Richard Chamberlain be an important voice for the parish. I get that; I really do. And there is something to be said that the unexpressed theme of the movie is that Catholic women willingly participate in their own oppression--the secret of Eileen's hysterectomy is supposed to be a surprise, but it rather wasn't. What she does is what's expected of her, but she is able to make her own decision when she absolutely has to. She is a good woman who has spent too much time listening to people who are more interested in vocal piety than in good works. While she is praised by some for her actions, it's also not surprising that others prefer Agnes Dunn.
March 21, 2013
Kathleen Turner is amazing in this, but the story is not that good, it doesn't feel real and it is on the edge of being a complete mess. Most of the characters are underdeveloped.
March 14, 2013
I felt like this was done very well.. and one line made the movie for me.. "What do YOU think?" and the reply: " I am Catholic, I don't have to think" .. wow.. I grew up in a Roman Catholic family, as a single pagan lesbian, I can see this happening in a modern family.. This isn't something I would feel good watching a lot.. but, it was interesting.
March 11, 2013
Kathleen Turner is wonderful in this. It's good to see her. Everyone else in this are equally wonderful, even if their scene time is small. I liked it very much
½ January 25, 2013
Eh... Though Kathleen Turner is excellent in this movie.
November 11, 2012
that was just bad. really bad. poor acting, awful story...what is this crap?
½ October 21, 2012
good, if not great, movie about a very self-righteous "religious" bitch who learns what's important in life
LWOODS04
October 14, 2012
"The Perfect Family is like so many other family films that I have seen dealing with religion, having a gay/lesbian child and of course the one screw up. I thought that maybe I would see some originality with this film, but not so much. The story has been done. This one is a bit different except it has the same conclusion as the one's that have come before it.
The mother is stricken with guilt over the sins she has commited in her past and present. She is in constant denial about the choices her family has made about their own lives and continues to live in this bliss until it all comes crumbling down around her.
The acting was semi good. Nothing to write the award shows about.
So in the end it was just OK for me."
October 6, 2012
Eh , seen this basically for Emily Deschanel . Not into the whole religious thing. Never really got into the movie. It just never gripped me.
September 30, 2012
Loved this movie...You could feel the pain as this mom struggles to come to terms with her family being different than expected.
½ September 21, 2012
Turner is really this film's only saving grace. It wasn't a terrible movie, and they had their fingertips on a simple story that could have been very entertaining... but they fell short. Scene after scene without much movement or story development... I don't really have much to say on it. It should not be dismissed entirely, if you're bored one Sunday...pop it in.
½ September 11, 2012
Despite Emily Deschanel and Kathleen Turner being in this movie, it was quite a stinker.
September 4, 2012
The family is so messed up and neurotic that you hope things will work out for them, but it definitely isn't award winning material.
September 2, 2012
I gotta see this! LOL @ the trailer!