The Perfect Wave Reviews

• Mar 27, 2016

Heartfelt performances with a limited depth, its a story based on true events of a surfer travelling the world, searching for his own souls peace, and of the family supporting him thru his adventure. Decently filmed surf montages support the thoughtful tone of the film. Lovingly directed, the story is an adventure but becomes more of a journey of self discovery, and finding ones own faith. Above all else, I fully enjoyed Cheryl Ladd as the praying mother over the cool yet unambiguous surfer dude son in Scott Eastwood. Surprisingly honest portrayals by the main characters, but some scenes are undone by the minor players, a common foible of low budget films with inexperienced, unskilled actors. I did like finding out in the DVD extras that this story is based on the testimony of a pastor. This detail helped me enjoy this film a full star more - Reality allows for gaps in the story and gives credence to coincidence - bc reality is Often stranger than fiction. It is otherwise a bit clumsy as a fictional script, despite the grounded family drama. All included, this is an enjoyable, refreshing effort. The diary of a surfer with enough depth to satisfy tv and cable audiences, but maybe not quite strong enough for the bigger screen. Great for an afternoon or evening together with the family and especially good for a date - compelling story, solid lead performances, and no language or offensive material. Also dont forget the A+ DVD extras, as long as your date enjoyed the movie..lol 3.5 surf-worthy waves out of 5

• Sep 16, 2015

didn't realize this was a true story. but nonetheless it was still a sappy portrayal of his testament. "hollywood" version of it all. no doubt of the events. couldn't have come at a better time

• Jun 27, 2015

The music and the locations though.

The music and the locations though.

• Apr 19, 2015

Excellent quality filming. Generally, poor acting. Moral of the romance part of the story (i.e. Annabel) = don't "fall in love" with strange pu$$y. Overall, it doesn't diminish the true message of the movie.

• Feb 23, 2015

take all the worst acting ever and put it into one film and you have The Perfect Wave. Very disappointing film spolit by very amateurish acting.

• Feb 20, 2015

I was enjoying it but then the in last 20 minutes the movie took a dramatic turn from a movie about a man's desire to catch the perfect wave, into a direct and unashamed attempt at converting viewers to religion. At that point I almost turned it off !

• Feb 18, 2015

This movie had a potential which was not utilized fully and the religious component was way too much. I expected more dynamic performance from Scott Eastwood which did not happened. His career is yet to develop...

• Oct 15, 2014

The Short Snippets Of Surfing Kept Me Entranced. Exotic Locations & A Nice Bit Of Photography Were Nicely Done Too. The Christian Thing Tho, Whille An Interesting Testimonial, Just Didn't Feel Very Genuinely Done & Came Off A Bit Crass.

• Oct 11, 2014

Excellent movie with good storyline. Beautiful scenery too!

Excellent movie with good storyline. Beautiful scenery too!

• Sep 20, 2014

Perhaps I was more aware there was Scott Eastwood than it was indeed a missionary film. The square narrative is uncomfortable yet boring to watch. The religious thing (especially in the last 30 minutes) gave me nothing but creep.