The Perils of Pauline Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 16, 2019

Hollywood uses the fame of silent film star Pearl White as an attraction, and a starting point, in this musical Betty Hutton feature. It's tailored specifically to Ms. Hutton's talents and that it does very well. Those looking for a documentary about the life of Pearl White should look elsewhere, but the work does convey something of what the early days of the silents may have been like. Charles Demerest is excellent as a cliché Hollywood producer.

• Feb 12, 2019

Excellent movie that grabs and keeps your attention. Betty Hutton is perfectly cast and has the voice of an angel in this one. John Lund is good as the proud early twentieth century boyfriend, and the Hollywood ending does not detract from the plot. An A+ movie.

• Feb 20, 2017

Hutton is the reason 2 check out this musical bio-pic-of sorts

Hutton is the reason 2 check out this musical bio-pic-of sorts

• Dec 11, 2015

Paramount's fantasy retelling of the "life" of silent screen star Pearl White was one of Hutton's best films; amusing and fast-moving with a Frank Loesser score that includes "Papa Don't Preach to Me" and the Oscar-nominated "I Wish I Didn't Love You So."

• Dec 29, 2013

Watch Betty "Rumble, Rumble, Rumble"...--A sparkling Betty Hutton and supporting cast in a very entertaining movie!!

• Sep 14, 2013

A film that is somewhat based in the true story of actress Pearl White who became queen of the movie serial. In this adaption Pearl White is played to a physical perfection by Betty Hutton, this film is a musical as well but it's Pearl White's story that is the most captivating. The actress was so incredible physically & although this is very Hollywood Re-telling it does highlight keys parts of her career. Sadly only 9 of the 20 serial episodes have survived from the original 1914 series. A fun colour film that is easy watching & flows fast & simply a bit of fun.

• May 21, 2011

What a remarkably entertaining little film loosely based on the life of silent screen star Pearl White. Betty Hutton gives a lively, sympathetic performance. John Lund is the aloof unemotional object of Pearl's affections. Frank Loesser's score is beautiful. Especially the movie's theme song 'I Wish I Didn't Love You So' which Betty performs so tenderly. This movie deserves mention as a classic. If you get a chance have a look at it. It is fast paced but there time in places for a little fun and sentiment.

• Mar 11, 2010

68/100. Betty Hutton is her usual over enthusiastic, animated and peppy self, but she is effective in the title role. As far as period detail and historical accuracy, very poor indeed. But, it was made to be entertaining, not accurate. Nicely produced, if not a bit overdone. Billy de Wolfe stands out in the supporting cast and is quite good, William Demarest is fun as the frazzled director. The musical numbers are decent, but none are outstanding except for the Oscar nominated song "I Wish I Didn't Love You So", a beautiful tune. It's fun overall though, good pacing. John Lund is bland in a pivotal role. For the time, some of the special effects are good.

• Mar 11, 2010

• Feb 04, 2010

What if they made a biopic about someone not because they had a particularly eventful life, but just because it'd be a fun setting? That's kind of the big idea here and also why the film doesn't really work - watching Betty Hutton goof around as serial movie star Pearl White is enjoyable for a while, but there's not enough of that to last, and the romance subplot here is draggy and paint-by-numbers. Overall - mildly charming but forgettable. There's at least one classic melodramatic dialogue exchange, but it's spoiler-laden so I'll have to stop myself from quoting it here.