The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

June 5, 2016
Brilliantly performed, amazingly written, and the story itself is a well-crafted one, the movie is as well, it's a beautiful movie to watch.
May 31, 2016
Stephen Chbosky's movie adaptaion of his own novel is a genuine, at times heartbraking but bittingly honest portrayal of how complicated and hard it can be to overcome fear, loneliness and prejudice, but at the same time, how liberating and exhilarating life can be; bolsting a powerful message for those who wish to see it and some engaging performances from its talented cast and bold approach to it's themes and narrative.
May 24, 2016
Book was amazing. This not so much.
May 22, 2016
a movie about wonderful and inspiring friends who stick together through the hardships that young life brings,
May 21, 2016
It was freaking awesome!
May 14, 2016
There are some elements or storylines that I found very familiar, but the thing that I remember the most about this movie is the chemistry between the main leads.
½ April 30, 2016
Relatable and heartwarming in every way, "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" is a beautiful film that will hit you to the core.

A novel adaptation about growing up and just how awful things can get sometimes, but it's real, and it's what everyone has to deal with. As we watch a real and meaningful plethora of friendships grow, Charlie will live an unforgettable few months as he tries to make his way in a world of misfits.

This is a heart felt and emotionally smart film that I think most, if not everyone will be able to relate to in some way, teenagers especially .There's so many things that makes this film amazing, and it shows you that things do get better. It doesn't do it in a cheesy way, nor does it seem forced or fake, but I can imagine that more than a handful of people have experienced something similar at some point in their life. This is an inspiring film that feels genuine, and I recommend it to everyone.

The actors in here are the things that carry this movie to the top. Logan Lerman is spectacular in every way, and although he'll receive much praise for this performance, I still think people will overlook him. He was able to subtlety bring out the emotions of his character, making everything feel so real and relatable. Emma Watson, hell, she put on a great performance too. Going down the list, from Ezra Miller, to Paul Rudd, everyone had purpose in this film, and I absolutely loved it. Everyone played their parts perfectly, and they deserve much praise for giving their all into making something so impactful.

Like I said, this movie just feels so real in many ways, and its teenagers+ audience will find plenty to relate to in this movie. Nearly every event in this movie feels very real, with few being over exaggerated. I felt that some of the awkward bullying in high school was over exaggerated, or not a present day problem, but overall, a lot of this stuff are things that a lot of us have to deal with. I was the kid who broke down in isolation, I was the kid who made best friends with the upper class men, and I'll be the kid who has to watch them go off to college. This movie will make you cherish those around you, and let's you know that things will get better.

The message this movie relays is so heartfelt, and I think it's a really important message. There are a few things in here, whether it's from love, or to grief, and it's impactful because it's real. We have to take in all of these horrible life events all at the same time, and it takes a toll on you. Over time, you see these horrors take over each character in different ways, and by showing the journey that they have to take, it helps you figure out how to deal with your own problems, or it at least shows you that things won't always be this bad.

The screenplay was my favorite part of the movie, as Stephen Chbosky does an excellent job with subtlety, realism, emotions, simple humor, and humans. He digs deep into the human mind, picking apart every little thing that makes these characters human, and he's able to do it in a beautiful way. When you're supposed to feel pain, you can see it in the character's eyes. When you're supposed to feel happy, you can see it on the character's face. I can't wait to watch more films by this director, as I send my praise to him also.

In the end, in one of 2012's most relatable films, I can't find a reason to say why it's not good. It's excellent, and I can't wait to show others, because this is a film that's important in its own way.
½ April 29, 2016
Okay, so this one paid off in a big, bad way, far beyond the light teen angst that the ad campaigns hinted at, and I feel bad for not supporting it in theaters, quite frankly, because I completely fell in love with this one upon the first viewing, and that;s only grown with repeat watches.

It's a really sweet, charming tale of a loner boy coming of age while being taken under the wing of a pair of older teens who let him into their little circle of outcasts.

It's really great stuff, and comes highly recommended.
April 27, 2016
This movie does a wonderful job of illuminating issues that adolescents are facing and doing it in a way that will captivate and break down any audience.
½ April 26, 2016
Reader beware: I watched this movie fresh from reading the book. I will say that while I like the actors in this film, I believe they did not portray the characters I read about in the book. I also felt the film left out very major scenes from the book; that's inexcusable. BUT! I did think the movie captured the overall intent created in the book. I enjoyed the few "Dear Reader" entries Charlie read as well as the relationship between Charlie and Sam. I also think the film helps clear up any confusion caused in the book about Charlie's Aunt Helen and his mental breakdown. No movie can capture the true essence of the book, but this movie isn't among my list of terrible movie reincarnations of its book.
½ April 19, 2016
I'm glad I finally saw this movie. It was well worth it. It was funny, sad, exciting and also heartbreaking.
½ April 13, 2016
I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I cried the first time I watched this movie. Even at a distance from high school days, this film reawakened the strong memories of feeling like a true misfit, the emotional effect of strain on the few friendships that you have, and traumatic experiences resulting from not knowing how to cope. I've found that people who had trouble finding a place in high school tend to enjoy this movie more.

While Emma's American accent is impressive considering her history as a British-accented teenage witch for most of her career, it wasn't perfect and I would have been fine with a British Sam rather than the distraction of occasional awkward pronunciation. I'm nitpicking, though. I prefer the book over the movie, but I think the movie stands on its own as a powerful deliverer of the same themes. Watch if you have a chance and especially if you are trying to find your place, even after your high school days become increasingly distant memories.
April 4, 2016
Alongside superb acting and exemplary writing, Perks is spot on in it's delineation of raw human emotion
½ April 3, 2016
Very good make of the film the meaning is great story was good and actors we're great
March 31, 2016
My all time favorite movie!! Never get sick of it ��
½ March 27, 2016
The Perks of Being a Wallflower its a movie that suffers from a predictable direction that doesn't outwit the spectator, it's not sufficiently original too, suffering from a little of boredom, furthermore, it isn't emotional as it should have been.
½ March 27, 2016
March 26, 2016
Beautifully plotted and powerfully acted, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a coming-of-age spectacular that focuses on the importance and the challenges of friendship, and offers enough dramatic depth and tenderness to earn a place in the hearts of adolescent filmgoers.
½ March 23, 2016
I love this movie whole heartedly, great book, faithful adaptation, fantastic coming of age movie...
March 22, 2016
I remember watching this the first time in theaters, and loved it. When I come across this again, I don't remember how much I loved it. I have it more of a thought after finishing the movie, and I come to a des idiom that not only is The Perks of Being a Wallflower my favorite high school movie, but also one of the best films I have ever seen. The characters are three-dimensional and very relatable to lots of high school students. Logan Lerman does a great job as a lonely kid with a bit of a different past that sometimes controls him. Emma Watson is terrific in this, and so is Ezra Miller who I didn't expect him to be that great as this is the first film that I've seen him in. The screenplay by the author himself Stephen Chobosky, is really great, he definitely knows what high school is like, and homosexuality as it shows that they are like other people who are not, and the movie doesn't really focus on it also. The chemistry between Logan Lerman and Emma Watson is very real and lively, and the film is really funny. There's a lot of good, heartfelt, and sad moments that are really effective. The movie is still interesting even if I saw it twice, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower is such a masterpiece that I actually gave this to a good friend for a 16 birthday party, and she love it which I'm happy that she did.