The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall Reviews

March 5, 2017
I loved it, much better than the movie version. The chemistry between Karimloo and Boggess is fantastic.
January 13, 2017
I was excited to see this, and ended up liking it, but not as my all time favorite.
½ October 13, 2016
If you can't see this at the theatre, this is a good way to experience it from home. It was enjoyable.
November 3, 2015
Absolute perfection. Sierra, Ramin, and Hadley were stunning. It was an incredible production, and one of my favorite versions of it.
½ June 4, 2015
One of the greatest productions I've ever seen onstage, ever! Fantastic casting with superb vocal range and acting prowess. Fantastic costumes and sets. Fantastic story, score, music. Only one nitpick is the lack of falling chandeliers. However, the highlight is definitely the casts themselves. Ramin is THE best Phantom ever performed with amazing vocal and acting range. Sierra is absolutely angelic and powerful as Christine: she brought in so much emotion in every scene and notes she hit that the film version and other versions paled in comparison. Truly mind-blowing show.
June 30, 2014
simply stunning. incredible elements missing but stands to a sublimely stunning musical
March 19, 2014
sierra and karim are absoluting amazing for their performance. wish i can somehow watch a live oneday
½ December 18, 2013
Okay, I must be the only one out there that actually enjoyed Joel Schumacher's 'The Phantom of the Opera'. Having listened to the cast recordings from the theatrical production, I thought Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, and Patrick Wilson did fine with the stage-to-screen translation. However, theatrical connoisseurs derided the film - most likely due to the fact that Schumacher isn't well-liked in Hollywood. So my expectations going into seeing the drama unfold on stage was pretty high, since the Broadway authorities that be say it's much better than the film. Well, I'm here to say it's not. Oh, sure, Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess, Hadley Fraser, Wendy Ferguson, Liz Robertson, and the rest of the cast does fine with their songs and acting, but it just feels so shortchanged and claustrophobic having seen and enjoyed the film version. I'm sure it's different in person, but I just wasn't blown away. Even when Sarah Brightman (the original Christine) sang at the end, I was underwhelmed. Too theatrical and focused on hitting the right notes, and not nearly enough emotion. I'm harping. I'll stop. Clearly theater isn't my forte.
November 29, 2013
Although I love the Phantom of the Opera I put off watching it because somehow the idea of watching a stage play as a movie didn't mesh well in my mind. I was pleasantly surprised from the very beginning with the soundtrack and the way that the camera angles were able to sometimes focus in where you sometimes forget it's a stage play. (For those who say that he was a grown man the whole time he mentored her I don't believe that was true, he was older than her which made him seem to her like an angel or father) I found myself several times wishing it was the movie version...it's just so hard to recreate on stage. And oh why does the phantom's hair magically disappear in the ending sequence? Removing a face mask doesn't remove hair. That aside, I never cried watching the movie and oh, during this one I did. Really solid performance, if you're a fan of the story you won't be disappointed with this- truly a fantastic stage play.
½ August 18, 2013
Beautifully presented on the gorgeous stage of the Royal Albert Hall. The Phantom of the Opera is as enchanting and haunting as ever.
June 24, 2013
Even though "The Phantom of the Opera" is a musical (not an opera!) it does call for operatic singing, and there is a very big difference between that kind of singing and what the leads were doing. Ms. Boggess has a fine voice, but she sounds more like a mezzo than a soprano and her high notes make Emmy Rossum sound okay in comparison. Both she and Mr. Karimloo sound like they have a vocal wobble, and they are continuously sacrifice pitch for vibrato. However, I'm sure they sound very good in more conventional musical theatre.
June 20, 2013
Absolutely engaging-- Ramin and Sierra's chemistry is undeniable. Ramin's gentle side of the Phantom makes it impossible to hate the Phantom, and Sierra absolutely becomes Christine. You can see it, hear it, and feel it. A job well done with a brilliant cast.
June 12, 2013
I found this on Netflix streaming. I wasn't looking. I watched it. I have never seen the Broadway production. This production was so elaborate and the performances were so mind blowing. Sarah Brightman performing at the end...along with the most famous "phantom" actors. Hauntingly beautiful.
May 7, 2013
This is the best musical I have ever seen on on the stage, ever!
April 15, 2013
This 25th Anniversary gala concert production of Phantom, blows the 2005 film version out the water. Top notch vocal performances from all the cast, but especially Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess - playing The Phantom and Christine respectively. A must see for fans of both Phantom and musicals in general.
½ February 23, 2013
Amazing the performances of all the leads is amazing.the songs between Christine and the phantom really draw you in and I had goose bumps several times.
The dropped half a pint is purely for a few things that let this performance down slightly from comparisons of the show many of us have seen before and also (probably unfairly)from the film version aswell with Gerard butler.
The negatives are.
The lack of bonus items on the bluray which has to be the least I've seen on any bluray.
It has one 17 min documentary and that's it!
Also in the show itself there are many added new scenes which while not bad they have allowed from memory the timing and content from the original show aswell.the chandelier doesn't come down.theres no fire.i also preferred how they performed past the point of no return in the film not vocally but physically.also she only realises who it is during this song at the end.and i preferred it in the film where she knows sooner so she then is singing to and throw with the phantom not just as part of the phantoms play within the show.
But this aside and other bits take nothing Away from the incredible performances and voices from all the leading cast.
It's a shame Michael crawford couldn't join in so you could hear him at the end after show had just finished I won't spoil it.i guess Michael Crawford no longer is able to sing anymore which is a real shame.
Overall it's still a must own and I look forward to watching it again for the intense and amazing performances.
February 21, 2013
I was utterly moved and speechless by the fantastic concert at the Royal Albert Hall. It was outstanding, and I let the spectacle astound me.
January 20, 2013
Wonderful. Absolutely enjoyed this.
January 19, 2013
A lavish and amazing production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical masterpiece! Great sets, costumes, acting and singing! In a word: Epic!
January 17, 2013
Absolutely awesome! Captivating performances. The only negative is that I was not in Royal Albert Hall to see this momentous performance in person!