The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes Reviews

January 23, 2016
a pleasant episode in escapist surrealism
½ December 18, 2014
Just weird and nothing else.
½ May 2, 2014
A surreal and moody film, full of strange images, and with an even stranger denouement. It is visually impressive, in a dark and low key way rather than a colorful one. The story is a weird tale to be sure and can be maddeningly opaque or ambiguous. Not a film for everyone. Not even for most film buffs. But it did have its appeal and I was not disappointed by it.
½ May 12, 2013
I viewed this film late at night, drifting in and out of consciousness. I don't remember details, but I'm haunted by the atmosphere...
March 10, 2013
Written and directed by The Brothers Quay, who made acclaimed short films such as Ein Brudermord (1981), The Epic of Gilgamesh, or This Unnameable Little Broom (1985) and Street of Crocodiles (1986)) and produced by Terry Gilliam, this was the Quay's first full length feature film since Institute Benjamenta (1995), and it's a mixed bag of odd sequences, a disjointed narrative and odd stop motion animation, but it's not for everyone. In the 19th Century, opera singer Malvina van Stille (Amira Casar) is murdered on stage during a performance, and she's spirited away to the world of the evil inventor Dr. Emmanuel Droz (Gottfried John), and she's forced to play the lead in a production he's done, which is a recreation of her abduction, and Droz has the plans to turn Malvina into a mechanical nightingale. Malvina meets the weird Felisberto Fernandez (CÚsar Sarachu), who is a piano tuner of earthquakes, who see's to the creation of Droz's world and the mechanical birds. Malvina becomes attracted to Felisberto, who bears a resemblence to her one-time fiancÚ Adolfo. It's a very weird film, and it does drag at times. The Brothers Quay are talented, but their films are better in short bursts at a time, this is like Mirrormask for adults really, and less fun as well. Shame as it had potential.
April 16, 2012
All imagery and no ability in story telling.
March 6, 2011
Basada en la novela La Invencion de Morel de Adolfo Bioy Casares, los Quay lograron crear una atmosfera onirica, con escenarios surrealistas y una iluminacion claroscura.
December 8, 2010
the only reason for the high rating is because this film is visually stunning. the story was confusing to me and didn't make sense.
November 13, 2010
Oh God, I was game to see this. Why? Well, this director team is one of the few claymation inspired filmmakers. Also, one of their role models is Jan Švankmajer, an entertaing claymation surrealist. Egad, when I started watching this. Details:

1. Most of the movie is visually dark. Meaning you could barely see what's going on.

2. The characters talk like they are walking on eggshells on every word. Meaning, everything is very whisper tone, monotone, and very somber serious.

3. Because of these two factors, this was more a test of patience and dedication to finish watching the film.

Pro.

1. Well on some of the very few times it is daylight, it is so bright that it looks like it is on another planet like the birthplace of Anakin Skywalker.

2. I would be interested in reading the script so I could attempt to start to understand what I just watched.
October 17, 2010
Dark fairytale about a demonic doctor who abducts a beautiful opera singer with designs on transforming her into a mechanical nightingale.
July 25, 2010
All imagery and no ability in story telling.
½ May 16, 2010
I sat through the first twenty or so minutes, stunned that a film could be irritating in so many ways. I don't know whether the leaden air of self-importance was sustained throughout film, but I would guess it was.
April 4, 2010
I have absolutely no clue what the hell was plotting with this film but I was completely enraptured by the visuals. I think it's very much open to personal interpretation, with somewhat disturbing imagery, very dreamlike and very, very strange.
February 10, 2010
One of the best Surreal/Fantasy films i have ever seen, and has left me thinking about the film ever since seeing it and trying to make sense of the images thrown at me and getting nowhere.

Enjoy if you decide to see it, i hope you do.
½ January 7, 2010
Intriguing, visually stunning, surreal. More of a visual poem than a anything. One quibble - the lighting was so dark that one really needs to watch this in a darkened room, otherwise much of the detail is lost.
½ January 4, 2010
a little pretentious, but visually a wonderful masterpiece.
½ November 21, 2009
What a beautiful movie, I loved it <3
September 25, 2009
Utterly dark, disturbing, nonsensical and beautiful.
August 10, 2009
A bizarre and artsy film that unfortunately lacks an emotional punch to back up the interesting visuals. The Brothers Quay are primarily animators and designers. I do not regard them as filmmakers, per se. Their films are fairly unique and surreal, drawing from the works of Jan Svankmajer and Guy Maddin, German expressionism and stop-motion animation, but the stories seem overly cerebral and nonsensical- weirdness for weirdness' sake. I think their early film "Instituta Benjamenta" was slightly more coherent, but this is a much more visually striking film.