The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes Reviews

• Jan 23, 2016

a pleasant episode in escapist surrealism

a pleasant episode in escapist surrealism

• Dec 18, 2014

Just weird and nothing else.

Just weird and nothing else.

• May 02, 2014

A surreal and moody film, full of strange images, and with an even stranger denouement. It is visually impressive, in a dark and low key way rather than a colorful one. The story is a weird tale to be sure and can be maddeningly opaque or ambiguous. Not a film for everyone. Not even for most film buffs. But it did have its appeal and I was not disappointed by it.

• May 12, 2013

I viewed this film late at night, drifting in and out of consciousness. I don't remember details, but I'm haunted by the atmosphere...

• Mar 10, 2013

Written and directed by The Brothers Quay, who made acclaimed short films such as Ein Brudermord (1981), The Epic of Gilgamesh, or This Unnameable Little Broom (1985) and Street of Crocodiles (1986)) and produced by Terry Gilliam, this was the Quay's first full length feature film since Institute Benjamenta (1995), and it's a mixed bag of odd sequences, a disjointed narrative and odd stop motion animation, but it's not for everyone. In the 19th Century, opera singer Malvina van Stille (Amira Casar) is murdered on stage during a performance, and she's spirited away to the world of the evil inventor Dr. Emmanuel Droz (Gottfried John), and she's forced to play the lead in a production he's done, which is a recreation of her abduction, and Droz has the plans to turn Malvina into a mechanical nightingale. Malvina meets the weird Felisberto Fernandez (César Sarachu), who is a piano tuner of earthquakes, who see's to the creation of Droz's world and the mechanical birds. Malvina becomes attracted to Felisberto, who bears a resemblence to her one-time fiancé Adolfo. It's a very weird film, and it does drag at times. The Brothers Quay are talented, but their films are better in short bursts at a time, this is like Mirrormask for adults really, and less fun as well. Shame as it had potential.

• Apr 16, 2012

• Mar 06, 2011

Basada en la novela La Invencion de Morel de Adolfo Bioy Casares, los Quay lograron crear una atmosfera onirica, con escenarios surrealistas y una iluminacion claroscura.

• Dec 08, 2010

the only reason for the high rating is because this film is visually stunning. the story was confusing to me and didn't make sense.

• Nov 13, 2010

Oh God, I was game to see this. Why? Well, this director team is one of the few claymation inspired filmmakers. Also, one of their role models is Jan Å vankmajer, an entertaing claymation surrealist. Egad, when I started watching this. Details: 1. Most of the movie is visually dark. Meaning you could barely see what's going on. 2. The characters talk like they are walking on eggshells on every word. Meaning, everything is very whisper tone, monotone, and very somber serious. 3. Because of these two factors, this was more a test of patience and dedication to finish watching the film. Pro. 1. Well on some of the very few times it is daylight, it is so bright that it looks like it is on another planet like the birthplace of Anakin Skywalker. 2. I would be interested in reading the script so I could attempt to start to understand what I just watched.

• Jul 25, 2010