The Pill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pill Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
The Pill(2011)
Starring: Noah Bean, Rachel Boston, Anna Chlumsky, Jean Brassard, S. Lue McWilliams, Steve Routman, Julia Royter, Jack Tartaglia, Al Thompson, and Dreama Walker
Directed By: J.C. Khoury
Hello everyone your pal the cupid critic here to tell you about why you should use a condom, you won't make a shitty love story like this one.
The film is about Fred being worried that he has gotten the free-spirited Mindy pregnant after an unprotected one-night stand, Fred feigns romantic interest and sticks by her side for twelve hours to make sure she takes both doses of the morning-after pill.
If this film any intentional goals of being something good, it fails cause this is most uneventful and boring love story. It's not even that funny. Which makes it harder to sit through. The characters I don't remember and I just finished watching it this second. Only Fred the dumbass who is unsuccesful at putting on a condom and thus you have your very boring and uneventful love story.
The story is not interesting if anything it feels forced upon. They do this for the sake of the plot, which contemplates to this and this. The movie convenience and plot device after another, this movie didn't need to happen, I mean it was so dang boring I need to listen to my love songs to stay awake.
The direction is pretty okay, J.C Khoury does a fine job with shot but fails in getting good performances out of his actors. They all look like rejects for a soap opera.
None of the elements in a good film are present, is J.C Khpoury's shots good? yes, but that doesn't make the film any less boring, tedious, stupid and uneventful. I'm giving THE PILL a half out of five.
½ August 10, 2016
Surprisingly enjoyable
June 7, 2016
The characters are a holes.
March 31, 2016
i wanted to punch the male character 80% of the time
March 9, 2016
A good turn of events comedy, Anna Chlumsky grew into an adult role and hardly recognized her. Not the best show... not the worst.
March 6, 2016
I hated Frank for 2/3 of this movie but by the end, I was proud of the growth I saw in him. This is a movie that is real, down-to-earth, and not at all a fairytale. The characters are portrayed beautifully through actors and actresses who seem committed to their characters.

I've seen a lot reviewers who are against what they call a "boring" or "non-climactic" ending. For me, the ending was real. It was raw. There was no large effort made to convince the audience of some mystical
outcome. And I love that.

If you're looking to fall in
½ February 26, 2016
The characters were either deplorable or annoying to the point of excess. The central premise could have led to some really cute comedy, or at least something funny. This was dry, disgusting, and lame.
½ February 14, 2016
The female roles in this film are awful...
February 12, 2016
Zero stars is honestly one star too many. I have sat through a lot of terrible movies in my time because I feel I should see things through to be able to form a complete and educated opinion of them........ but this is the first I have turned one off in complete disgust before the end - so apologies in advance for the profanities (and for the Australian spellings). I have read some reviews that describe the interactions in this film as "human" and such, however this is not the case at all. The film attempts to have viewers sympathise with one of the main characters, "Fred", who is literally nothing more than a lying piece of sub-sea garbage who wants to get away with having a one-night stand without jeopardising the failing relationship he is attempting to fake with his current "girlfriend", who he doesn't even seem to have any feelings for. Fred is not a likable character, he is an actual, literal cretin who needs to grow a pair of MORALS and end his current relationship before perusing other women. Fred's "girlfriend" is made to feel like a villain for asking him if he wants to 1. get a pet with her, as they have been living together for years, and 2. take the garbage out.... wow. such a terrible person for hoping her other half wants to build a life with her and (shock, horror!!!) might contribute to household chores at some point. The main female character is not likable either - although she is made to feel like a victim of the circumstances of this film - she is so horribly ignorant to both the concept of contraception and relationships to an extent that is completely unbelievable to a woman of her circumstances... which (as this is not a comedy) equates to seriously, seriously, enormously, ridiculously SHIT writing. If these are honestly hitting home as "human" interactions for you, I sincerely hope you find yourself a better life eventually. This is the first review I have ever written of a film as I felt compelled to warn others of the literal pile of pressurised, liquid, faeces that will be expelled in your unsuspecting direction if you choose to continue with viewing this film. The actors did a great job depicting piles of literal, rotting shit in the flesh - I hope their talents are used more wisely in the future. :) TLDR: 1. Asking your significant other to take out the trash and NOT fuck other people while you are away is not unreasonable. 2. If they decide to fuck an unwitting, uneducated person while you are away - trying to hang around to make sure offspring does not occur from this interaction does NOT make them likable/human/a good person. It makes them a cunt. :)
½ January 19, 2016
I watched this movie twice in one week and I would have watched it more, if I could have! It is AMAZING. The characters are both unlikeable in the beginning, but by the end they are HUMAN and I was invested in them. The acting is SPOT ON. I love how Noah Bean makes it obvious to us each time his character is lying (Fred is a bad liar), but Mindy is either blind/oblivious to it or chooses to not point it out every time. Just writing about this movie makes me want to see it again. I recently saw Noah Bean in an episode of Law & Order: S.V.U. Unfortunately, his performance was a bit "off" in that I felt it was obvious from his performance that his character was the "bad guy". (The detectives didn't know that he was the murderer from their visit with him.) However, Bean is currently in the play, "Marjorie Prime" in Manhattan through January 24th and I really want to see it!?
January 2, 2016
This movie was really cute! I thought it was going to be kind of bootleg, and it kind of was, but it was surprisingly start out hating both characters for different reasons and then end up loving both of the characters in the real. This movie took a hard look at something that happens in real life, and made lemons out of it. Good movie!
January 1, 2016
a great story with a few laughs but the drama is what brought me into it never heard of her but Rachel Boston was unbelievably cute and great in the movie
November 25, 2015
Seriously? I hated both the main characters, I don't know if it was the point but after having seen the movie I felt the urge to pour hot coffee over them both. Mindy was naive, expecting that a one night stand was automatically going to lead to a relationship. Fred was oppressive and arrogant and just doesn't know when to stop. If a guy treated me like that I definitely would have said something. I just felt like jumping into the movie and slashing him to pieces. I guess that I have to praise the movie for its somewhat unpredictable ending but other than that this movie doesn't have much going for it.
½ July 14, 2015
What could have been a hidden gem on Netflix turned irritating quick when I realized how unlikeable the central characters were and really didn't give a damn about their plight. The plot synopsis is funny on its own, but it's not very truthful as it leads you to believe the guy gets up to a million hijinks trying to trick the girl into taking the other half of her pill, but it's more about the adventure he goes on trying to win her over and it wasn't nearly as engaging. The two actors are okay, and a surprise appearance from Anna Chlumsky (most famous from My Girl) was well-warranted, but none of these characters felt like human beings and the whole film felt forced to me. The ambiguous ending is a plus and there were sporadic chuckles throughout, but I'll honestly never remember this film past a few days, and I don't think the filmmakers were setting their sights all that high.
½ December 13, 2014
love the game they're playing at the beginning =))
½ October 19, 2014
none of the characters were likeable
½ September 16, 2014
Watchable with a relatable situation but ultimately forgettable.
½ September 2, 2014
Two pathological liars meet and manipulate each other from scene to scene. Some enjoyable moments, but not really funny or romantic. I was hoping they'd end by both getting therapy... But they seem destined to continue their "quirky, fun loving" ways (read: entirely dysfunctional).
July 19, 2014
This was a really enjoyable, pleasantly unpredictable rom-com. Defs would recommend.
July 11, 2014
Loved it! Great storyline, kept me wanting to see what happened next. Provided a meaningful story along with humor.