The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ December 10, 2016
its a super great movie,
the true bad persons use you and when your done with
(so long) with a little twist and a good heart person says I'm sorry which makes all the difference to will come: only your family grief and no one cares
December 3, 2016
The brilliant performances of the actors (namely Cooper, Medelsohn and Ali) contribute some groundedness to the sometimes flaky plot, while the stunning photography and great soundtrack set just the right mood.
November 27, 2016
A Place Beyond the Pines is a simply excellent movie. If you like Stories, actual engrossing stories, with characters you actually care about; rather than cheesy movies with stars running around in tight hooded leotards, then watch and savor this movie. It captivated me the first viewing because I was actually getting the gift of a real story - told to me in a stylish and cognizant way. There were no pointless explosions or silly one-liner's boring me to death; Just gritty reality and all the angst and heartache that comes with it. The actors were simply stellar - all of them. But a special shout-out goes to Ben Mendelsohn for his realistic portrayal of the small-town loser. His character was literally so genuine, he eerily reminded my spouse and I of an old, old friend long lost to the penitentiary. On my second, third, and fourth viewing of this movie (I said it was captivating), I got to enjoy the many fine examples of film craftsmanship layered into this haunting story, especially enjoying Gosling's wordless acting as he commanded the first half of the movie. I can't say it enough: Watch This Movie! And Derek Cianfrance, Ben Coccio, and Darius Marder, if you are listening out there, more stories like this please! Much more.
November 20, 2016
A slow movie trying to give significance to the corruption
November 19, 2016
Quite possibly the most poorly written screenplay of the year. Perhaps could have been a good eight part limited series, but turned into 2 hours plus of convoluted and disjointed cinema I've seen in a long time. Makes you wonder who greenlights such things. And how did this receive 80% from Rotten Tomatoes? How do I regain the past 140 minutes of my life? How did Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper get committed to this movie? So many questions.
November 19, 2016
Fantastic poignant painful
It hurt to see this
But at the same time it is a must-see I will not forget
10 stars in my book
More than 5 stars
Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are superb as is the rest of the cast
Debra Reece Simons
Asheville, NC
November 17, 2016
Too long. Plot drawn out way too long. Predictable. I would not recommend unless it were all you had snowed in at a lodge in VT for a night.
November 2, 2016
???????????????????????????????Ryan Gosling?????????????????????????????????????3????????????1????????????????????????????????????????????????Bradley Cooper?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
October 25, 2016
As is the complaint of a number of Game of Thrones viewers, it is not easy to access (nor review) a complexly layered story where the acts are not formulaic and merely intersect for moments at a time. The Place Beyond The Pines is a shining example of this as the story progresses at an unusual pace, pivitol characters drop from frame to be replaced with what seems like sidesteps, but once explored shed light on the ramifications of the earlier actions.

Consequently, this sort of film is sent to try critics. With the shadow of exploring plot detail leaving us open to inadvertently revealing the filmmakers intentions and genuinely spoiling the experience, we are left pondering how to entice without explaination.

When motorcycle stunt rider Luke (Ryan Gosling) learns he has a baby son with a year-old fling Romina (Eva Mendez), he leaves the travelling circus to stay and try to provide for his family. Having already moved on, Romina who is now living with devoted step-father Kofi (Mahershala Ali) is stuck between the man she loves and the one she shares a life with.

After a chance encounter with outcast mechanic and ex-bank robber Robin (Ben Mendelsohn), Luke decides Robin's plans of utilizing their uniquely matched skillset for a series of heists is worth the risk to raise the required money for 'fatherhood'.

To this disappointment of his judge father, new dad Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) quits the family business of law to join the police force where he believes he can 'make a difference'. But after a rookie mistake, he quickly becomes disillusioned and a combination of police corruption and personal guilt test his moral compass.

Outwardly heroic whilst inwardly cowardly, Avery reluctantly takes his father's council; making a dramatic cocktail of decisions that will change lives and have consequences well into the next generation.

Utilising his cinematic signature techniques of a tracking-camera following a character and the use of extreme close ups, Filmmaker Derek Cianfrance portrays the provocative hard-hitting theme with eloquence, if occasionally longwinded. The opening lengthy single-shot is a stunner and the bike chase sequences are thrilling.

A beefed up and extensively faked tattooed Gosling is bewitchingly remarkable as the contradictory Luke, sharing palpable chemistry with dramatic firecracker Mendez who finally gets a role in which she is more than acting eye-candy. Charismatic Cooper adds another powerful stepping-stone to the pile in his build up to greatness, whilst Aussies Mendelsohn and Rose Byrne (As Avery Cross' wife) add a vivid candor to their roles.

As the second generation to the film, Emory Cohen (Avery's troubled teen, AJ) plays unlikeable well, while Dane DeHaan's (Luke's boy, Jason) expressive features proves he is a face to watch for the future, think 1993's What's eating Gilbert Grape.

The Verdict: As the weaving narrative depicts the highs and lows of similarly angst-ridden lives and their flawed relationships, it raises issues of loyalty, honesty and belonging to which anyone can relate.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 17/05/2013
October 19, 2016
A Place Beyond the Pines is thoroughly well acted and the story it is telling is intriguing, however it feels awfully slow and not particularly memorable.
½ October 10, 2016
Utterly romantic and genuine, The Place Beyond The Pines can satisfy a wide range of audience thanks to its multiple themes, brilliantly interlaced to each other.
Terrific performances from Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Eva Medes give this movie that etra quality to make a step ahead.
½ October 8, 2016
A SPRAWLING EPIC.
Three different stories told from three different perspectives, all feeding into the film's core theme - legacy.
Director, Derek Cianfrance, is the current Hollywood champion of cinéma-vérité. He manages to draw spell-binding performances out of most of the core cast. And all the characters had struggles that pulled me in.
My biggest critique for the film is it's unique selling point - the three stories from perspectives. It's a real challenge to get us to feel for a new lead character when we move on from the one we had just started to really feel for, and with no warning - this is the most jarring aspect of the film.
I also think that the cinematography didn't do as well as it could have in assisting the style of the film. The handheld elements always felt more true to the tone, and the constant flicking between handheld scenes and locked-off scene proved to be unnerving.

STRONGEST ELEMENTS:
- Structure (because of its uniqueness).
- Performances.
WEAKEST ELEMENTS:
- Structure (because of its uniqueness).
- Cinematography.
½ October 1, 2016
This was literally one of the worst movies I've seen. There is no climax and every second cuts to a different scene. There is no "flow" whatsoever. I agree with one of the posts.. This feels like three movies in one.
September 25, 2016
The Place Beyond The Pines is my favorite film of all time... The acting is incredible, the directing by Derek Cianfrance is perfect. The soundtrack is unforgettable. I could gush like a kid all day about this movie. But take it from a lover of films of all genres...The Place Beyond The Pines is one of the greatest films ever made. Loaded with emotion and Intensity, this film reminds me why I love movies so much in the first place...they make you feel. This one makes you feel A LOT of different things. I've coerced many people into watching this film with me and they all thanked me after the end credits begin to roll... Treat yourself and watch this masterpiece film!
September 8, 2016
I love how this movies made. Every important character has their own individual stories. It's intense, sad, and in some scenes even heartfelt. Incredible...
September 7, 2016
Excellent film, featuring intricate and nuanced performances by master craft filmmakers.
½ September 4, 2016
There are strong performances throughout but a weak connective narrative hurts the flow of the overarching story. It is divided into three distinct parts, and has an unsatisfying end depending on which family you relate to.
September 3, 2016
Can see where it was going, it was ambitious in what it was doing, and a refreshing break from the usual blockbuster. However at times left me a tad bewildered. Split into 3 parts, the first was a bit more tight. And also have to say, the scenery was breathtaking. All in all, a good film.
September 2, 2016
Hey everyone. I could sit here and write about why this movie is amazing, but I think I'll leave my whopping five stars do the talking and all of you can get on with watching this freakishly awesome film!
August 30, 2016
The Place Beyond The Pines is the third riveting film from writer/director Derek Cianfrance, which tells a 3-part tale centering on themes of fate, family and the consequences of the characters' actions. The film stars Ryan Gosling as a daredevil, motorcycle performer who must turn to robbing banks as a way to provide for his family; which has him crossing paths with an up-and-coming police officer played by Bradley Cooper who's trying to stay innocent working for a corrupt organization. The performances across the board are all excellent with solid supporting work from Rose Byrne, Dane DeHaan, Ben Mendelsohn, Ray Liotta, and Eva Mendes, but this is Gosling's movie and he owns every moment he's on-screen! The cinematography is simply masterful here, feeling much like a character itself with stunning motorcycle chase sequences and exhilarating bank robbery scenes that feel wholly authentic having been shot all in one take. The film opens with an extended long take of Gosling going from his trailer, through the fairgrounds he's performing at, onto a motorcycle, and then into a "Globe of Death" stunt contraption which kicks the film off properly and impressively. Where the film falters is in it's final third, and after a truly brilliant crime saga involving two flawed characters permeating through the first 2/3, the last part sticks out like a sore thumb and is an obvious dip in quality. This portion follows two high school kids with secret connections to the events of the past, but it's all far too coincidental to buy and leaves the resolution feeling a bit weak. This is a daring, enthralling, and memorable piece of work that shows great skill from Cianfrance and features one hell of a memorable performance from Gosling and is well worth your time!