The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ October 1, 2016
This was literally one of the worst movies I've seen. There is no climax and every second cuts to a different scene. There is no "flow" whatsoever. I agree with one of the posts.. This feels like three movies in one.
September 25, 2016
The Place Beyond The Pines is my favorite film of all time... The acting is incredible, the directing by Derek Cianfrance is perfect. The soundtrack is unforgettable. I could gush like a kid all day about this movie. But take it from a lover of films of all genres...The Place Beyond The Pines is one of the greatest films ever made. Loaded with emotion and Intensity, this film reminds me why I love movies so much in the first place...they make you feel. This one makes you feel A LOT of different things. I've coerced many people into watching this film with me and they all thanked me after the end credits begin to roll... Treat yourself and watch this masterpiece film!
September 8, 2016
I love how this movies made. Every important character has their own individual stories. It's intense, sad, and in some scenes even heartfelt. Incredible...
September 7, 2016
Excellent film, featuring intricate and nuanced performances by master craft filmmakers.
½ September 4, 2016
There are strong performances throughout but a weak connective narrative hurts the flow of the overarching story. It is divided into three distinct parts, and has an unsatisfying end depending on which family you relate to.
September 3, 2016
Can see where it was going, it was ambitious in what it was doing, and a refreshing break from the usual blockbuster. However at times left me a tad bewildered. Split into 3 parts, the first was a bit more tight. And also have to say, the scenery was breathtaking. All in all, a good film.
September 2, 2016
Hey everyone. I could sit here and write about why this movie is amazing, but I think I'll leave my whopping five stars do the talking and all of you can get on with watching this freakishly awesome film!
August 30, 2016
The Place Beyond The Pines is the third riveting film from writer/director Derek Cianfrance, which tells a 3-part tale centering on themes of fate, family and the consequences of the characters' actions. The film stars Ryan Gosling as a daredevil, motorcycle performer who must turn to robbing banks as a way to provide for his family; which has him crossing paths with an up-and-coming police officer played by Bradley Cooper who's trying to stay innocent working for a corrupt organization. The performances across the board are all excellent with solid supporting work from Rose Byrne, Dane DeHaan, Ben Mendelsohn, Ray Liotta, and Eva Mendes, but this is Gosling's movie and he owns every moment he's on-screen! The cinematography is simply masterful here, feeling much like a character itself with stunning motorcycle chase sequences and exhilarating bank robbery scenes that feel wholly authentic having been shot all in one take. The film opens with an extended long take of Gosling going from his trailer, through the fairgrounds he's performing at, onto a motorcycle, and then into a "Globe of Death" stunt contraption which kicks the film off properly and impressively. Where the film falters is in it's final third, and after a truly brilliant crime saga involving two flawed characters permeating through the first 2/3, the last part sticks out like a sore thumb and is an obvious dip in quality. This portion follows two high school kids with secret connections to the events of the past, but it's all far too coincidental to buy and leaves the resolution feeling a bit weak. This is a daring, enthralling, and memorable piece of work that shows great skill from Cianfrance and features one hell of a memorable performance from Gosling and is well worth your time!
August 13, 2016
Well done. Not quite enough to be considered epic.
August 12, 2016
The Place Beyond the Pines has an ambitious reach that often exceeds its grasp, but the epic scale and thrust is too irresistible to dismiss.
August 11, 2016
Well plotted and refreshingly unique.
July 27, 2016
***
Bradley Cooper is the real star of this movie. Don't get me wrong, Gosling is good, but Cooper is brilliant. Real emotion and some great unexpected twists makes The Place Beyond the Pines more than just your usual drama.
July 16, 2016
With the unique visual style of Derek Cianfrance and the stellar performances of both Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper, The Place Beyond The Pines is an ambitious stylistic film which rejuvenates cinematic story telling while still keeping its themes of family and fate emotionally impactful.
June 21, 2016
Smart, thought-provoking and powerfully acted.
June 21, 2016
"The Place Beyond the Pines" lays three acts side by side, accomplishing an icy, rough around the edges drama with great performances and and an always present overlaying theme.
June 21, 2016
The first hour of this film I really liked, Ryan Gosling did a great job, and the plot was fast and still engaging. However after his characters departure, the movie still kept on going, and it slowed to a crawl. There were still good scenes in the last hour and a half, and it was still well acted, I just felt like this film suffered a lot in scenes without Gosling. There are better things to watch than Place Beyond the Pines, but it is still enjoyable enough to keep you entertained.
June 16, 2016
A whole lot of story for a single film. It makes you feel everything you should!
May 31, 2016
The scope of the film can get lost in muddled story and it's stylistically inconsistent which is a little distracting, however, the majority of it is a beautifully told story. By the time you're on the third act, you really feel like Ryan Gosling's story was a lifetime ago and I think Derek Cianfrance has made original material here, killing characters off in order to tell a very long, linear legacy story is unique and his style is also very authentic and fun to watch. And all the performances are amazing.
½ May 17, 2016
It's a long ride, but the film reaches its destination on dealing with fathers, sons, and consequences. Great acting, cinematography, and soundtrack. A bit too long on getting the point across, but a little less depressing than the director's "Blue Valentine". Rating: 7 / 10
May 11, 2016
Watchable but not special in my view