The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ March 9, 2016
Pans out like a Jeffrey Archer book boasting an epic scale with underlying themes of ambition, revenge and fate.
Well supported by a nuanced performance from Bradley Cooper but it culminates into a predictable narrative once the new characters are introduced after the time lapse.
March 6, 2016
Spoiler Alert... when RG's character dies... So does the movie.

Three different story's with one common through line... going from good, to bad, to stupid.
March 6, 2016
The Place Beyond the Pines stars Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes, and Bradley Cooper. Probably one of the harder movies to review without spoiling to much. It tells the story about a stunt circus motor cycle rider who isn't quite sure what to make of his life. While in the process, he begins to rob banks and is known as The Moto Bandit. I loved this film for so many reasons. One being the story. Its your basic three act film that keeps building up with plot details, twists and character development. While some viewers may feel differently about the pace and tone of the film, I enjoyed it very much. The movie was filled with intense glossy dramatic and emotional scenes that were very effective to me. Place Beyond the Pines also has many solid performances. Ryan Gosling, keep playing interesting and entertaining roles us viewers actually care about. Goslings performance, similar to Drive, was once again sleek, different, and fascinating. The man can act and gives one of the best performances of 2013. Cooper and Mendes also give believable performances in the film as well. And Dane DeHaan and Emory Cohen spark the third act of this film. They're effort into their characters carry the films momentum throughout the entirety of the rest of the movie. Another great feature to Place Beyond the Pines is the cinematography and camera work. Some of the films best scenes are shot during the bank robberies. The different angles and movement of the camera while on the motorcycle is riveting to watch. Overall Place Beyond the Pines was an incredible movie. The emotion, performances, and action conveyed are some of the best I have seen. Anyone looking for a drama with a thrill ride should be very pleased with The Place Beyond the Pines.
February 16, 2016
A movie about legacy, the sins of the fathers, the restless in our souls. It's powerful, it's bold, it hits you hard. A perfect contrast between motivations and consequences. It's the interesting characters and their thought-provoking choices that makes this movie so compelling and so intense. This film could become one of the best movies of the year ...
½ February 16, 2016
A truly great movie which shows how a single event can affect the people involved and their children in the years to come.
Null
February 14, 2016
This film features outstanding performances, dark tone while at the same time having beautiful shots, well written plot and having this unpredictability that brings out the thrills. Check out this gem as soon as you can!
February 9, 2016
I enjoyed the film, but wasn't what I expected, it felt like 3 films in 1, the trailers didn't show u tat!!
February 8, 2016
Brilliant acting from Mr. Bradley Cooper. :)
February 6, 2016
It's a really good story, with a fine cast, but the ace in the hole is that it's completely unpredictable.
February 3, 2016
really is one of best movies I've never seen before. really good acting amazing drama. really great story
January 24, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Great acting from all members of the cast. This movie is gritty, suspenseful, and heart-wrenching. Deals with some really heavy themes, and the legacy you leave behind.
½ January 11, 2016
The stitching of three stories together makes this film feel very long. Whilst the performances are great, the pensive drama and long winded, obvious climax gets a little too much.
January 4, 2016
The movie works as three separate stories that ultimately intertwine and tell a story about family and choice. The performances are all great and the film is very well shot. Not all of the three stories are equally entertaining but everything is important to the effect of the film. It's a powerful film that instead of focusing on who's good and who's bad focuses on why we make certain choices. It's an original movie that leaves you thinking with its unique approach on its themes.
½ January 1, 2016
Could have been great if the approach didn't feel so lazy. something was missing.
January 1, 2016
Starring the new Leonardo Di Caprio.
December 30, 2015
I prefer seeing these flawed, towering beautiful epics search and reach for transcendence and fail in places rather than the opposite.
December 29, 2015
A very good film with great performances and strong script. It can get a little too heavy handed at times and long, but script is what kept me intrigued and a good message how the past can haunt you in the future.
December 25, 2015
Wonderful. Great acting. Superb story. Love it.
December 21, 2015
Derek Cianfrance's follow up to Blue Valentine is the best film of 2013. Bradley Cooper gives the performance of his career in this film and should have been nominated. The theme of legacy and consequences is ingenious. A truly unique film. The film has a long length but you never look at your watch to check the time. The film captures you with the very first shot which is a 2 minute tracking shot following Luke Glanton/Ryan Gosling. Gosling's story is by far the best in the film and takes an unexpected turn from there. The film left me in tears when it ended and the end credits song was truly fitting and captured the theme and mood of the film.