• R, 2 hr. 21 min.

100% Neighbors May 09
—— Godzilla May 16

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

April 19, 2014
It kind of reminded me of a less-engaging version of "Drive", with motorcycles this time. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good but (SPOILER ALERT!!!).....
losing Ryan Gosling at the end of the first act was angering, as he was really the reason I picked this DVD up in the first place. I love watching him. Bradley Cooper holds his own, and the kid who plays Jason is excellent at acting in the the tortured young soul role (he played a similar role in "Chronicle" and I'm sure his take on Harry Osbourne in the new "Amazing Spiderman" movie will follow suit.)
Not as good as "Drive", but still worth watching at least once. I also liked that Bon Iver's "The Wolves" ended this film. Perfect.
February 4, 2013
Two thirds of this film is compelling and rich, it just kinda falls apart in the end, but I still highly recommend the film for it's ambition and it's performances.
April 19, 2014
A pretty film with a very cool shifting point of view.

It's nicely paced - long, but it all seem needed. The acting is all right and Gosling is doing his typical Gosling-role. He is good at doing "The Gosling". The plot is all right and it's an enjoyable watch without being spectacular.

I don't get too into it though - it struggle a bit when it comes to really interest me as a viewer. A bit predictable but still hard to hate. It's what you expect, but nothing more.

7 out of 10 motorcycles.
April 18, 2014
An emotional masterpiece of an experience.
April 20, 2013
Nothing happens in the movie...
April 17, 2014
Very interesting plot structure
April 16, 2014
A good movie, expected more from Gosling and Cooper - but very strong performances none the less. Bruce Greenwood did excellent playing "that guy" that he so marvelously cameos as in every movie. Interesting story editing and pace... I feel this film was still missing something... though not sure what.
April 16, 2014
They dragged it too long ... but great acting and a really good story !!!
April 12, 2014
A good film that could have been really good if only it had been parred down by a quarter. Still, an excellent study in character. Grade: B
April 11, 2014
A lot of interesting story following different characters. This film makes you think about the results of one's actions on future generations.
September 2, 2013
The movie had good moments, but most of the time it lacked action and dynamics. Time eater.
August 6, 2013
The Place Beyond the Pines is a film that seriously sets the bar for future films. It's spellbinding! Hypnotizing! Addicting! Simply grabs you from the beginning and convinces you early that there is something mysteriously important with the consequences the characters experience with there actions and decisions they make throughout the film! The music flows perfectly into each scene and throughout the movie you honestly have no idea with what's coming next. It's unconventional by many means, but it's originality, superior acting and unpredictability makes the unconventional work, and simply reminds the film viewers that a film doesn't need a huge budget with extrem CGI takeover to be moving and rather hypnotizing. The movie left you with surprise after surprise and twist that will leave you in awe..I highly recommend it and once again Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper prove to be the new and upcoming Decaprio's and Pitt's for the future film industry. The only reason it wasn't given and full 5 stars is that it could of been a little shorter.
February 4, 2013
SO epic. Pines is a movie that stretches is legs, beautifully telling the store of two men burdened by their instinct to leave a legacy behind them. One of my absolute favorites from 2013.
April 7, 2014
With each visitation of the film I find myself holding onto something deeper than the facade of the character.
April 5, 2014
would of gave it more stars if it was shorter by at least a half hour. good dramatic story but just a bit long. lost interest with the last part of the movie about their sons. also predictable that ryan gosling's character's son was bad to follow in his dad's footsteps. would of liked to seen him not become that way and forge his own path free of troubles but oh well. also ray liotta was wasted in a small role. shown up an hour in the movie and then was in just a few scenes. back in the day if movie like this was made ray liotta would of been the STAR but not now :/
April 1, 2014
An intense film told through the eyes of two characters, a rider willing to do anything for her son and a policeman. The director practically perfect, a fantastic story and beautiful interpretations of Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper make this a must-see movie.
March 31, 2014
That was sort of depressing!
January 13, 2013
The opening shot of "The Place Beyond the Pines" shows us a man with beach-blonde hair and a torso covered in tattoos- he's Billy Idol minus the riches and English accent. The camera follows him in a long tracking shot that is reminiscent of Martin Scorsese's stylings, to his job as a motorcycle stunt rider. In this moment, we find that this man is Ryan Gosling, nearly unrecognizable when compared to his famous clean-cut looks.
His name is Luke Glanton. He travels around with the state fair, and is back in Altamont, New York, where, about a year ago, he had a brief fling with sultry waitress Romina (Eva Mendes). Luke decides the visit her, where he finds out that she has an infant son that belongs to him. He quits his job to provide for her and his son, and decides that the only way to make enough money is to rob banks. He has a briefly successful run, but after one goes wrong, he is killed in a shootout by rookie cop Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper).
The film shifts focus to Avery, who is then labeled a hero. We get a glimpse at his exploits as he tries to take down the corrupt police station in which he works, and then, the film shifts once again to 15 years later, where Avery is running for public office and now Luke and Avery's sons Jason (Dane DeHaan) and AJ (Emory Cohen) are dealing with their own problems, that eerily mirror their fathers.
"The Place Beyond the Pines" is certainly ambitious - told in three parts and slow-burning its way through the story in order to develop the characters, there is a lot to grasp. Derek Cianfrance may be a young filmmaker, but he already has the self-aware, confident filmmaking tendencies of masters far beyond his years. He clearly is going for the epically proportioned crime sagas of Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese, and while it may not be a perfect film, "The Place Beyond the Pines" shows us that a legendary filmmaker may not be too far off in the distance.
The biggest problem with the film, however, is both its storyline and its length, which are so large in size and so crammed with ideas that the film sometimes loses itself. The jarring shifts between character focus isn't necessarily the problem - the problem is keeping the viewer's attention intact. At two-hours and 21 minutes long, it's as lengthy as the popcorn ready "Hunger Games" films, which sustains our attention simply because there is always something going on. With "The Place Beyond the Pines", the third part itself pales in comparison to the masterful first two, to the point in which the flawlessness set beforehand is marred drastically.
Yet, the performances by the phenomenal cast remain untouched, despite the film's drawbacks. Gosling is captivating as Luke - beneath the layers of ink and hair dye, you can see that, while he robs banks for a living, his conscience isn't numbed. Cooper, who is turning his career from throwaway roles to fantastic ones, makes Avery the most compelling character in the movie. Living in a world of corruption and high-strung guilt, Avery easily could crumble, but Cooper makes him a protagonist worth fighting for. In the meantime, Mendes gives the finest performance of her career as the troubled Romina, and DeHaan stuns as Avery's messy son.
"The Place Beyond the Pines" sometimes is masterful, but sometimes is also in need of some work. But even with its flaws, Cianfrance is a director that already should be considered to be one of the best in modern day cinema.
March 30, 2014
'If you ride like lightning, you're going to crash like thunder.'
D.A. Zapata
March 29, 2014
As philosophically and humanistically dense as Place Beyond the Pines was, I can't shake the feeling that the plot became weaker and weaker as the film progressed. Sure, it bore various conceptual meanings such as the cycle-of-life, familial reliance, and vengeance. But by the end of Pines, I kind of just felt empty. Obviously, hands down, Ryan Gosling was the greatest part of the film. His storyline and dialog were spectacular, and this is by far one of his greatest roles. Unfortunately, he wasn't as--let's say--crucial to the film as I would have hoped. Pines is by no means an inconsequential film. It's just not as impactful as it could have been.