The Place Beyond The Pines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Place Beyond The Pines Reviews

½ December 30, 2016
The Shakespearean inspiration is strong with this film, but the lack of character development or investment in plot gave the audience a shallow feeling about the allegoric nature of the film. The disruptive plot-line, which was cut into two separate parts near the middle, did not help either, as such disruption also broke any bond that the audience was able to form with the protagonists, whereas the "karmic" connection between the characters of the first and the second parts seems to be conveniently coincidental rather than causal, as it should be. Given the film's extremely interesting premise, such lacklustre film-making really was a missed chance. After finishing this film, I just realised how "The Light Between Oceans" (Cianfrance's next film after this one) could be underwhelmed despite its intense trailer. We shall see.
½ December 28, 2016
Could be an amazing movie but the fact that the protagonist has to die soon to tell you the story about the son? that was not what I was expecting... might be my bad but hey, who's writing this?
½ December 26, 2016
Great acting alongside a emotional storyline done well is a must see
December 25, 2016
Spoiler Alert... when RG's character dies... So does the movie.

Three different story's with one common through line... going from good, to bad, to Just plain stupid.
December 24, 2016
Spending 2 and half hours watching this movie, and what did I take? This: having a successful father is not better than having a stepfather, in both cases you're gonna fail!
OK, but it really didn't need 2.5 hours to tell that. Lots, of wasted time and scenes. :(
December 11, 2016
The Place Beyond the Pines is an epic tale sweeping three generations. You will be amazed by Derek Cianfrance's depiction of fate, parenthood and redemption. One of Ryan Gosling's best.
½ December 11, 2016
Luke (Gosling) and Romina (Mendez) had a fling that produced a baby. However, for over a year Romina omitted to inform Luke about this. One evening Romina pops up for a surprise visit to the carnival where Luke works as a stunt rider.

The reasons for Romina's visit are baffling. She does not seem madly in love with one night stand Luke, she has a new boyfriend named Kofi and they live in his house. She does not even inform Luke about the baby, but just asks for a ride home. Smelling a rat, Luke goes back to her home the next day to find grandmother holding the baby.

Luke is the standard Gosling's character: inarticulate, dumb, asocial. He has no money, but insists to support the baby, even if nobody asked for it. So Luke starts robbing banks to be able to throw cash at Romina and their baby. One day Luke invades Kofi's house, allegedly to assemble a crib for the baby and during the proceedings he manages to anger Romina, scare the baby and smash Kofi's face.

Bailed from jail, where he rightly ended, and advised to keep a low profile, Luke decides the time is ripe for another bank robbery. End of part one and enough to put me off.

We are supposed to sympathize with the selfish and idiotic character of Luke, just because he is a father. It seemed more like he wanted to impose his presence where nobody wanted or needed him. Except that Romina dragged Luke in again, after the two of them ignored each other for a year, so maybe she wanted him, but not really.... whatever.

Part two is shorter and about Avery, the cop (also a father) who stops Luke and part three takes place 15 years later, when Luke and Avery's sons meet and collide. Neither Avery's or Luke's sons are particularly sympathetic, but they should be excused for being brats because they have daddy issues. Anyway, by the time the appear on the scene I had enough of the whole story.

The moral of the movie could be that fathers should be excused for robbing banks because they must provide for their children or that robbing banks is OK because the police is corrupted or that kids have the right to be obnoxious drug addicts because their fathers neglected them.
½ December 10, 2016
its a super great movie,
the true bad persons use you and when your done with
(so long) with a little twist and a good heart person says I'm sorry which makes all the difference to will come: only your family grief and no one cares
December 3, 2016
The brilliant performances of the actors (namely Cooper, Medelsohn and Ali) contribute some groundedness to the sometimes flaky plot, while the stunning photography and great soundtrack set just the right mood.
November 27, 2016
A Place Beyond the Pines is a simply excellent movie. If you like Stories, actual engrossing stories, with characters you actually care about; rather than cheesy movies with stars running around in tight hooded leotards, then watch and savor this movie. It captivated me the first viewing because I was actually getting the gift of a real story - told to me in a stylish and cognizant way. There were no pointless explosions or silly one-liner's boring me to death; Just gritty reality and all the angst and heartache that comes with it. The actors were simply stellar - all of them. But a special shout-out goes to Ben Mendelsohn for his realistic portrayal of the small-town loser. His character was literally so genuine, he eerily reminded my spouse and I of an old, old friend long lost to the penitentiary. On my second, third, and fourth viewing of this movie (I said it was captivating), I got to enjoy the many fine examples of film craftsmanship layered into this haunting story, especially enjoying Gosling's wordless acting as he commanded the first half of the movie. I can't say it enough: Watch This Movie! And Derek Cianfrance, Ben Coccio, and Darius Marder, if you are listening out there, more stories like this please! Much more.
November 20, 2016
A slow movie trying to give significance to the corruption
November 19, 2016
Quite possibly the most poorly written screenplay of the year. Perhaps could have been a good eight part limited series, but turned into 2 hours plus of convoluted and disjointed cinema I've seen in a long time. Makes you wonder who greenlights such things. And how did this receive 80% from Rotten Tomatoes? How do I regain the past 140 minutes of my life? How did Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper get committed to this movie? So many questions.
November 19, 2016
Fantastic poignant painful
It hurt to see this
But at the same time it is a must-see I will not forget
10 stars in my book
More than 5 stars
Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are superb as is the rest of the cast
Debra Reece Simons
Asheville, NC
November 17, 2016
Too long. Plot drawn out way too long. Predictable. I would not recommend unless it were all you had snowed in at a lodge in VT for a night.
November 2, 2016
???????????????????????????????Ryan Gosling?????????????????????????????????????3????????????1????????????????????????????????????????????????Bradley Cooper?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
October 25, 2016
As is the complaint of a number of Game of Thrones viewers, it is not easy to access (nor review) a complexly layered story where the acts are not formulaic and merely intersect for moments at a time. The Place Beyond The Pines is a shining example of this as the story progresses at an unusual pace, pivitol characters drop from frame to be replaced with what seems like sidesteps, but once explored shed light on the ramifications of the earlier actions.

Consequently, this sort of film is sent to try critics. With the shadow of exploring plot detail leaving us open to inadvertently revealing the filmmakers intentions and genuinely spoiling the experience, we are left pondering how to entice without explaination.

When motorcycle stunt rider Luke (Ryan Gosling) learns he has a baby son with a year-old fling Romina (Eva Mendez), he leaves the travelling circus to stay and try to provide for his family. Having already moved on, Romina who is now living with devoted step-father Kofi (Mahershala Ali) is stuck between the man she loves and the one she shares a life with.

After a chance encounter with outcast mechanic and ex-bank robber Robin (Ben Mendelsohn), Luke decides Robin's plans of utilizing their uniquely matched skillset for a series of heists is worth the risk to raise the required money for 'fatherhood'.

To this disappointment of his judge father, new dad Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) quits the family business of law to join the police force where he believes he can 'make a difference'. But after a rookie mistake, he quickly becomes disillusioned and a combination of police corruption and personal guilt test his moral compass.

Outwardly heroic whilst inwardly cowardly, Avery reluctantly takes his father's council; making a dramatic cocktail of decisions that will change lives and have consequences well into the next generation.

Utilising his cinematic signature techniques of a tracking-camera following a character and the use of extreme close ups, Filmmaker Derek Cianfrance portrays the provocative hard-hitting theme with eloquence, if occasionally longwinded. The opening lengthy single-shot is a stunner and the bike chase sequences are thrilling.

A beefed up and extensively faked tattooed Gosling is bewitchingly remarkable as the contradictory Luke, sharing palpable chemistry with dramatic firecracker Mendez who finally gets a role in which she is more than acting eye-candy. Charismatic Cooper adds another powerful stepping-stone to the pile in his build up to greatness, whilst Aussies Mendelsohn and Rose Byrne (As Avery Cross' wife) add a vivid candor to their roles.

As the second generation to the film, Emory Cohen (Avery's troubled teen, AJ) plays unlikeable well, while Dane DeHaan's (Luke's boy, Jason) expressive features proves he is a face to watch for the future, think 1993's What's eating Gilbert Grape.

The Verdict: As the weaving narrative depicts the highs and lows of similarly angst-ridden lives and their flawed relationships, it raises issues of loyalty, honesty and belonging to which anyone can relate.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 17/05/2013
October 19, 2016
A Place Beyond the Pines is thoroughly well acted and the story it is telling is intriguing, however it feels awfully slow and not particularly memorable.
½ October 10, 2016
Utterly romantic and genuine, The Place Beyond The Pines can satisfy a wide range of audience thanks to its multiple themes, brilliantly interlaced to each other.
Terrific performances from Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Eva Medes give this movie that etra quality to make a step ahead.
½ October 8, 2016
A SPRAWLING EPIC.
Three different stories told from three different perspectives, all feeding into the film's core theme - legacy.
Director, Derek Cianfrance, is the current Hollywood champion of cinéma-vérité. He manages to draw spell-binding performances out of most of the core cast. And all the characters had struggles that pulled me in.
My biggest critique for the film is it's unique selling point - the three stories from perspectives. It's a real challenge to get us to feel for a new lead character when we move on from the one we had just started to really feel for, and with no warning - this is the most jarring aspect of the film.
I also think that the cinematography didn't do as well as it could have in assisting the style of the film. The handheld elements always felt more true to the tone, and the constant flicking between handheld scenes and locked-off scene proved to be unnerving.

STRONGEST ELEMENTS:
- Structure (because of its uniqueness).
- Performances.
WEAKEST ELEMENTS:
- Structure (because of its uniqueness).
- Cinematography.
½ October 1, 2016
This was literally one of the worst movies I've seen. There is no climax and every second cuts to a different scene. There is no "flow" whatsoever. I agree with one of the posts.. This feels like three movies in one.