The Presence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Presence Reviews

October 31, 2016
I liked this film. It's a different type of horror. It poses many types of questions. Maybe too many questions. It's really slow in the first half and then picks up nicely. Wonderfully acted and beautifully shot
October 9, 2016
This movie movie was a fun, refreshing take on the supernatural, suspense, thriller genre. It's unsettling more than scary but it's done well
July 16, 2016
Oscar winning actress Mira Sorvino sinks her career to a new low.
April 16, 2016
Different, but failed.
½ September 16, 2015
This was a real surprise, something I watched somewhat at random during my Halloween 2014 viewing and I was impressed with it. The subtle use of the ghostly haunting in a remote area is truly unsettling and gets under your skin after awhile.

Recommended if you can handle a slow burn film.
½ June 17, 2015
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
January 21, 2015
This is one of these movies that you either like or not , and I got the not like, this movie was boring, you barely knew what was going on, terrible acting, and directing, for the most part it was quiet and did not talk for like 10 to 20 minutes thru the whole movie, an absolute waste of time. So for this movie being horrible and not having nothing good at all, I give "The Presence"an F. I'm sorry Justin Kirk favorite actor in TV show called "Weeds".
September 21, 2014
This was definitely different, but aside from a few moments, it was pretty boring. They didn't explain some things that would have been nice to know about.
July 21, 2014
It is a great movie but you need to wait for the very end to appreciate it. This is probably the most religious movie I have ever seen that is not labeled as a religious movie. After watch it you will want to watch it again to put all the pieces together.
½ July 4, 2014
This movie is absolutely awful.
July 4, 2014
Romantic drama or ghost story. The Presence never really figures out what it wants to be. There is really no explanation for the events that happen, but they are so uninvolving that I really don't care.
½ June 25, 2014
Categorizing this movie as "horror" is, at best, a stretch. Sure, there's a few ghosts, but that doesn't make it scary. Part of this movie's problem is that it has been misrepresented. When people see "horror", and read "The Presence", they're expecting your typical scary ghost flick- and are inevitably disappointed.
The Presence is really more of a psychological drama. It focuses less on the fear and more on the mental strain that is put on the woman, and later her boyfriend, by The Man in Black.
If you're looking for a ghost movie that's driven more by the storyline then it is by "what's-gonna-jump-out-of-the-shadows-next", you'll probably enjoy this.
June 12, 2014
The spirit or "The Presence" makes a surprisingly early appearance, but is more ineffectual than foreboding or scary. The movie is noteworthy for having no dialogue for the first 20 minutes or so. This feels too long...until the dialogue starts. I am a big fan of this genre, the in-resident apparition, but this seems to be lacking tension and depth.
½ April 19, 2014
OMG...worst 98 minutes of my life....
February 16, 2014
Unexpected, and very moving. Very nice, simple and understated, beautifully shot, It had many layers, how we deal with our own demons, and how in truth, we are not alone. I had never heard of this movie, but it deserves a lot more attention, I recommend the watch, Do not expect a horror show, although it does have some spooky moments, Let the mood sink in, and let the story tell itself. ?
February 13, 2014
This is a very Stephen King-ish film, but without any gore; just rather scary and gripping. Don't recommend watching this before going to bed, as it gave me some gruesome nightmares!

This film has good acting, great writing, good music and is rather original.
½ February 10, 2014
Very slow start. It gets better but at least we can see the ghost rather than it being a surprise the music is probably a little over the top at times, with no real reason for it! .
½ January 28, 2014
this movie wasted an hour of my life .. wow they speak after 30 min of the movie .. who knows why did the guy die or when and if they did i was out of it by that time
½ January 13, 2014
This movie was gripping in its originality and beautifully shot. Not a spam in a cabin horror film, it is incredibly rewarding. Highly recommend!
January 7, 2014