The Pure One (Pakeezah) Reviews

• Jul 26, 2016

"Immortal movie " A film that will always remain alive & leave us beguiled everytime we watch it. An awe-inspiring magnum opus, its this ultimate feminist romantic adventure and reformist epic , a poetic elegy executed with infinite elegance and opulence which makes all other movies on the planet look like a mere amateur manoeuver with its spiritual ambiance and intellectual romanticism. This art work marks the coult classical work of Bollywood in the 70s and before, reminds us of the beauty, purity, sweetness, honour and pride of Urdu language. Performance by film's cast is appreciable especially the lead actress Meena kumari rules the show. Meena kumari's spirit dies with this movie and she prodigiously expresses the mighty resplendence of her character. It becomes evident from her extraordinary charms throughout the movie that she was peerless and had no match, who could weild the character. All that are her ever remembered potencies. The actor Raj Kumar does a great job & rest all the cast deserve extolment. Coming to the hert pounding music, The music takes us to over zillion worlds all together. Ghulam Muhammad's immortal songs and Naushad sahib's Classic background scores leave one becharmed. The haunting train whistles , the drums, the flutes, the beats, the unequaled background scores & all the classic song vocals pulsate pulsate with energy & pierce our heart and souls deeply.

• Nov 12, 2013

Tortuous story of love and rejection with the acting centering on the emotion of the performances rather than a heavy script.

• May 07, 2013

Despite taking 14 years to complete (and the actors ages change noticably) and a heavy dose of foot fetishism, this tale of love against the odds works well.

• May 24, 2012

Please make correction in synopsis...Nargis was mother of Sahibjaan.. Meena Kumari had a double role in Pakeezah, Nargis (Meena Kumari) a brothel woman who had relations with Shahabuddin (Ashok Kumar) and their daughter Sahibjaan (Meena Kumari)

• Nov 04, 2011

The Brilliance in acting, screenplay and art direction contributed in the making of this classic.

• Aug 19, 2011

Vibrant color and the presentation of emotion fail to generate actual emotion (unlike Sirk, to whose work one could compare this).

• Feb 24, 2011

This had too many flaws to be considered as a masterpiece. The music however is superb.

• Oct 25, 2010

Maaaybe I am just over susceptible to this kind of Technicolor (reminiscent, as it is, of Jack Cardiff) but Pakeezah struck me as more than usually an "art film" - the use of the train, the photography, the sets (interior sets seem to exist in a vacuum), all things that point toward a conception of film that has as much to do with art as entertainment. And, in a lot of ways, it's kind of the Hindi Tess of the D'Urbervilles (with some, uh, significant differences outside of language). I think I liked it more than Umrao Jaan (with Rekha), but I suspect I would like Umrao Jan Ada better than either . . . by a lot.

• NaWie M Super Reviewer
    Jul 28, 2010

Comparing to Nikaah, Pakeezah was much better to watch. Great Perfomance by Meena Kumari.

• Wahida K Super Reviewer
    Jul 14, 2010

Pakeezah is one of the Movies I first had my doubts and thought this would be a "Nikaah" sort of Movie, but I was very surprised, Pakeezah was nice to watch.