Box Office Guru Wrapup: Auds Splurge on Purge For $36M Debut

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

As America's wealth disparity increases, class paranoia pays off.

Jun 9 - 03:21 PM

Ethan Rodgers

Ethan Rodgers

-_-

Jun 9 - 07:05 PM

8==D

Jun 9 - 08:34 PM

Laura  P.

Laura Porter

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, www.Bling6.com

Jun 19 - 03:51 PM

This comment has been removed.

Jay Morris

Jay Morris

Your a peice of shit racist. Someone should take u out and beat ur ass

Jun 9 - 09:52 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And you got mad when I pointed out your reliance on race and cooties jokes. Time to ban this POS again, RT. I won't even flag the spam, just so people can see what a vicious little shit you are.

Jun 9 - 11:33 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Oh, boo hoo, you're going to cry again. I never commented on you. That was some other dude. I just came back for today, dick.

Jun 10 - 08:51 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Spare me, putz. You got multiple accounts. Your "Jay Catler" (Killer Jay) account said on the Critic Consensus page "Plus, so much for our treaty Janson" just 4 days ago. You can't even keep your sock puppets straight.

Jun 10 - 08:58 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Well, we put the treaty on an open forum. New treaty. If you comment on my comment, I report you, and vice versa. Enjoy your life

Jun 10 - 12:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"We" didn't do shit. You have no ground to report me because I'm not in violation of the site's TOS when I call you out on your BS. You are in violation of the site's TOS by posting racist, sexist and homophobic comments. So are you done with your weak lying about your multiple accounts? Who you fooling? Everyone can see you're a despicable person.

Jun 10 - 02:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You're such an idiot. You can flag my comments all you want. You do know that with a screen shot, you won't be able to hide the truth of your failure.

Jun 12 - 06:07 PM

Infernal Dude

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Nice work The Purge. It still looks kind of dumb but its nice to see a small horror/thriller get some summer $$$. And did I read that right? It cost $3 Mil to make? There's car commercials that cost more than that. Whats crazy is you know Hawke and Headey got at least a 1/3 of that. I wonder if theres profit sharing in their contracts because they are selling themselves short, if not. Looks like we have another low budget/high grossing horror franchise on our hands.

Jun 9 - 03:24 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Wow people must be desperate to see a film, if they pay to see this week's sewerage.

Jun 9 - 03:44 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Could you please see a therapist? God, you're a downer.

Jun 9 - 06:25 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

your the guy who's wife has racist attitudes; I remember you. YOU NEED THE THERAPIST and you need to divorce your wife, she sounds like a total creep.

Jun 9 - 08:04 PM

Infernal Dude

Damn. Going after the wife. I'm, both, impressed and disturbed.

Jun 9 - 08:33 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

When I smell shit, I say "Man, who shit?"

Jun 9 - 09:39 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The Purge looks slightly better than sewerage, but its 43 percent told me "no" . . . after seeing Hitchcock at 60 percent, I'm NEVER seeing another movie below 70 PERCENT (unless I'm invited) . . . both Hitchcock and Evil Dead '13 (67 percent) were disappointments to me (I left the theater feeling cheated) --- the pattern: anything below 70 percent WILL disappoint. watching films via VIDEO ON DEMAND is another story, I'll watch anything because I know I haven't spent a lot of money and I can turn it off when it makes me feel like I've wasted enough of my time.

Jun 9 - 08:09 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I new The Purge was going to blow expectations away; I have heard tons of people talking about it just because of the high concept, but completely ludicrous, premise.

I saw Man of Steel this weekend; I will not say too much about it other than I really enjoyed it, and for everybody who has wanted to see Superman actually throw down, Snyder gives the people what they want.

Jun 9 - 04:09 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Will be catching MOS this Friday and very much looking forward to seeing it.

Jun 9 - 09:27 PM

Brian Tipton

Brian Tipton

Spot on, and spoiler free. Gold Star for you King Crunk.

Jun 9 - 09:49 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Caught After Earth and Now You See Me.

After Earth wasn't as horrible as I thought based on the reviews. Yes it was lacking in how good it had the potential to be, but still it wasn't awful, wasn't great, it was sort of okay/meh.

Really enjoyed now you see me though. Definitely was creative and it had more than enough twists and turns that when you just start to think you have it figured out another curveball comes into play. Eisenberg definitely was the star of it all, and I would've preferred to see a little more Harrelsson. Solid effort by the cast all round, definitely creative, and as long as you don't dwell on some impossibilities and can deal with some plot deficiencies it's more than satisfying.

Jun 9 - 05:50 PM

Infernal Dude

My friend took his son and sons friend to see AE and he said the same thing. In fact his son loved it. What 13 year old kid doesn't like to see an action star his age. I feel (w/o having seen it of course) that critics are reviewing AE with spite in mind instead of critical analysis because:

1.Smith made the film outside of official Hollywood channels.
2. Nepotism.
3. Shymalan is an easy target these days.
4. It wasn't called After Errf.

Jun 9 - 06:54 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

5) It fucking sucked.

Jun 9 - 09:41 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The Premise seems really lame too. Fear is a choice? No it isn't.

Jun 10 - 07:13 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Fear is healthy, keeps you from being eaten.

Jun 11 - 05:37 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Actually, just the other day I was blatantly flipping through some channels and came across a small segment of a news program that made possible claims that Will Smith was inspired to have "After Earth" made was a result of Cruise's act of convincing Will Smith reading L. Ron Hubbard's multi-selling "Dianetics" book since they're many subliminal movie references to the cult, including the movie's logo "Danger is real, fear is a choice"! And if you look at After Earth's movie credits, you will see that Will Smith and family weren't just credited as "Producers", but Smith himself also came up with "the story" as well! As I see it Smith is basically promoting viewers both young and old to become "Scientologists" as he's doing it by showcasing this movie which is nothing more than another poor promotion of Scientology's greedy money tactics, and I'm sure glad that their isn't a sequel!

And I wouldn't be surprised if "After Earth" may just as well be Tom Cruise's favorite film of all time!

Jun 10 - 02:01 PM

Josh Tyler

Josh Tyler

There is a sequel. It's in development. Whether or not anything will come of it... that's yet to be seen.

Jun 10 - 03:22 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Well, their wasn't any immediate plans made for a sequel of "After Earth" per se, but as a result of an announcement of 3 upcoming projects starting with "Hancock 2","I, Robot 2" and "Bad Boys 3", can you see the trend here...

Jun 12 - 01:34 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Could you please see a therapist? God, you're a downer.

Jun 9 - 06:25 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jun 9 - 08:04 PM

Infernal Dude

Damn. Going after the wife. I'm, both, impressed and disturbed.

Jun 9 - 08:33 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

When I smell shit, I say "Man, who shit?"

Jun 9 - 09:39 PM

Infernal Dude

1.Smith made the film outside of official Hollywood channels.
2. Nepotism.
3. Shymalan is an easy target these days.
4. It wasn't called After Errf.

Jun 9 - 06:54 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

5) It fucking sucked.

Jun 9 - 09:41 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The Premise seems really lame too. Fear is a choice? No it isn't.

Jun 10 - 07:13 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Fear is healthy, keeps you from being eaten.

Jun 11 - 05:37 AM

Jun 9 - 08:34 PM

Laura  P.

Laura Porter

Jun 19 - 03:51 PM

King of the Snoots

Ryan Brown

never underestimate teenagers and young adults with a disposable income during the summer movie season. Last weekend at my local movie theatre showings of "Now You See Me" were sold out, this weekend the same was true for "The Purge." Savvy marketing has been really paying off this summer.

Jun 9 - 07:08 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

MESSAGE TO THE INFERNAL HOLLYWOOD;
THE PURGE . . . EARNED THREE TIMES ITS INITIAL INVESTMENT!!!!!
HORROR MOVIES RULE!!!!! (make them EXCITING/ENTERTAINING and Cheap; you will be rewarded!
a Roger Corman approach: don't spend any more money than you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO making a money; and then try to spend less.
If its an exciting enough movie, it WILL earn its money ten-fold.

After Earth, for instance is a WASTE OF MONEY . . . expensive stars
that have only limited appeal because of racial barriers and only a
so-so exciting script;

films MUST BE EXCITING / ENTERTAINING or what's the purpose?
------
TS Elliot
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar
Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us -- if at all -- not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
------

One of the worst things you can do is have a limited budget and try to do
some big looking film. That's when you end up with very bad work.
-Roger Corman

Jun 9 - 08:01 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

A lot wrong with what's stated here (including many hypocritical statements, but I'm just gonna focus on the fact you said it made 3x its initial investment. Check the numbers again, and get back to me.

Jun 9 - 10:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It made 10x its budget. But the point of more economiical filmmaking should be an important lesson considering the number of Hollywood films frequently over 200 million (Lone Ranger's 250 mill being the worst offender). Yes, unlike Purge it would be nice to have decent writing and ideas. It would also be nice if modest budget independant films could get onto more multiplex screens.

Jun 9 - 11:48 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jun 9 - 08:04 PM

Infernal Dude

Damn. Going after the wife. I'm, both, impressed and disturbed.

Jun 9 - 08:33 PM

Martin Tam

Martin Tam

They should make a movie called "The Splurge." One day a year where people just starting to spend money doing a bunch of random crap they want like eating all the junk food they want, going on random shopping sprees, and going streaking in a mall.

Jun 9 - 08:04 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Somewhere an executive has just read this and hired Uwe Boll to direct it.

Jun 9 - 08:22 PM

This may be above Boll.

Jun 9 - 08:32 PM

Spirit Bear

Martin Tam

As long as I get my share.

Jun 10 - 10:52 AM

Rj Glenn

Rj Glenn

Honestly, that sounds kinda interesting lol

Jun 9 - 10:26 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

They already have this, it's called 'America' and it happens on a daily basis.

Jun 11 - 05:39 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jun 9 - 08:09 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Somewhere an executive has just read this and hired Uwe Boll to direct it.

Jun 9 - 08:22 PM

This may be above Boll.

Jun 9 - 08:32 PM

Spirit Bear

Martin Tam

As long as I get my share.

Jun 10 - 10:52 AM

This may be above Boll.

Jun 9 - 08:32 PM

Infernal Dude

Damn. Going after the wife. I'm, both, impressed and disturbed.

Jun 9 - 08:33 PM

8==D

Jun 9 - 08:34 PM

This comment has been removed.

Jay Morris