The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

April 24, 2017
The Purge was the most accurate representation of a world without religion to keep the psychopaths from doing what their first instinct says them to do in case of a conflict without an exit
½ April 21, 2017
I had kind of hoped this would be good. It started off interestingly enough. The build up had potential and then it just failed to deliver.
½ March 31, 2017
Una mierda innecesaria.
½ March 12, 2017
I could rip this franchise as a whole all day long, but let's stick to the basics. Ex machina out the wazoo, recycled cliches, and questionable direction leads this movie to the bottom of the barrel. It almost felt a rehash of the far superior film The Strangers. The only difference being hey we are trying to make a statement directed to society.......YAWN! Standard disposable home invasion movie bottom line.
½ March 11, 2017
Cleanse your soul. What if this were to happen for real? We need this. This kind of behavior is immoral. All thoughts that you will find racing through your head as you take the irresistible ride through the eyes of a family just trying to survive the night. From the beginning you are faced with the Sandin clan who are placed in an impossible situation, either give up "the homeless swine" who has found refuge within their homes or face inevitability. The film deals with the element of morality and ultimately forces the family's patriarch, Ethan Hawke's character James to make sacrifices. The film proves that no matter the situation, no matter how much money or isolation you can provide, no one is every completely safe, not from their friends nor complete strangers. The thrill of the Purge are fueled by hatred and our own intense desires to release our inner beast!
March 4, 2017
A great original idea! That main purger does a great job being really creepy.
February 26, 2017
Stupid Idea, Story, Characters, Acting.... everything is Awful and this movie makes me so Angry!
February 19, 2017
It's good horror movie to watch
February 14, 2017
Great thrill ride might buy some day love the purge movies
½ February 7, 2017
Bit shit. This is just silly the whole film I was just thinking it made no sense
½ February 3, 2017
A very silly premise pretty poorly executed.
January 27, 2017
Good idea, poor execution, it became so bad it was funny.
January 11, 2017
Very interesting. Enjoyed very much.
½ January 4, 2017
I can see the interest in the idea, but the use of some some lower tier actors and poor devilment left the movie just that. An interesting idea for a movie and not quite fleshed out all the way.
December 23, 2016
I was actually not a big fan of the first film. Perhaps it was the lack of a strong plot that did not quite fit well with me.
½ December 1, 2016
Better than expected, but could have been so much more.
November 23, 2016
The premise is very interesting, and while there were a lot of different ways the script could have gone, The Purge feels like nothing more than a wasted opportunity.
Almost every character makes a choice that is either needlessly irrational or just utterly stupid, either way, it makes them all very unlikable.
½ November 18, 2016
The idea has a great potential and it raises the expectations to some next level violence, but on the contrary it was soft and immature. Seemed like whoever wrote it had some deep grudges over how EARNING money works.
½ November 14, 2016
Cleverly balancing traditional home-invasion frights with a dystopian worldview, The Purge is a nail-bitingly tense economic parable that uses futuristic madness as a springboard for a timely franchise, although writer-director James DeMonaco plays it a bit safe once the violence gets going.
November 14, 2016
While I enjoy the way the characters handle the annual Purge with a decent amount of nonchalance and reverent fear, I don't think the film gives enough reasoning for this national event. It is, however, morally fascinating, especially the decisions the central family has to make. A fairly ingenious premise that effectively plays on the disparity between America's rich and poor, letdown by becoming a second-rate home invasion flick.