The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

½ August 31, 2016
Me pareció una buena trama, fue entretenida, los personajes principales me gustaron menos el niño, las decisiones que tomaba eran muy bobas, yo nunca haría algo así.
August 31, 2016
One of the most original concepts ever brought to film, the flaws are forgiven thanks to such an original concept.
½ August 29, 2016
If it's a good movie, one that has flaws that makes the movie is bad or regular
August 27, 2016
"The Purge" es una historia de terror y ciencia ficcin en la que en un futuro cercano (2022), se impone en Estados Unidos una vez al ao una "purga", en la que, por toda una noche, las personas son libres de asesinar sin consecuencias legales. Esta es una premisa algo absurda, pero gracias a la actuacin de Ethan Hawke, que se sale un poco de los personajes estereotipados de cintas de este tipo y de un malfico Rhys Wakefield, as como de algunas secuencias de suspenso bien logradas, el espectador logra sobrevivir a la purga.
August 17, 2016
Who thinks up this shit?
August 17, 2016
This movie has a good concept but lacks the story. But at the end with good performances it comes out as a one time watchable movie.
August 13, 2016
Great concept. Solid addition to the horror genre.
August 12, 2016
what if Purge is real in life?
½ August 7, 2016
This is a very frightening movie. If this is even a hint at what our world is coming to I want out. Whoever thought of this is truly sick and needs to be watched.
½ August 4, 2016
A faggot kid's autism caused his father's life. This is what will happen when you raised your son as daughter.
½ August 2, 2016
The concept is interesting but watch Purge Anarchy and Election Year instead
½ August 2, 2016
Although "The Purge" is a satisfying thrill-fest, coupled with an exciting and frightening concept, a purge seem to have taken its course on the screenwriters themselves for not delivering enough originality.
July 29, 2016
The premise behind "The Purge" is quite interesting and different.
Positives: "The Purge" and how it came to be.
Negatives: The I do not care if this family dies because I don't know anything about them to make me care.
July 25, 2016
The idea/ premise of this movie was really good. The story itself ws pretty meh. I agree with JT that this movie would have been better had they tried to take more of a solid suspense feel rather than a horror movie direction. Ethan Hawke is a good actor and did fine in this movie. Most of the acting was good except for the "main" villain. He was pretty weak. And for a horror, that's not a part that should be weak. I like the moral of the movie at the end. It is a scary idea that I could see how the movie could become a reality.
July 24, 2016
A friend of mine and I go to see a movie during work every year and this year (2016), he recommended that we go see "The Purge: Election Year". I told him that I hadn't seen any of the previous "Purge " movies and had no interest in seeing them. He convinced me that I should give them a chance so I decided to watch the first two movies.

"The Purge" was a huge disappointment. While the premise of the movie was mildly interesting, the characters in the movie were terribly written, cartoonish, and silly. I wasn't even remotely scared as there was no real tension in the movie. I like both Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey as actors but there talents were wasted in this movie.

This movie is a complete waste of time and after conveying my disappointment to my friend, he convinced me that the sequel was much better. I have decided to give it a chance to try and wipe "The Purge" shit sandwich out of my mind.
July 24, 2016
The Purge is enjoyable but really sadly it wastes its potential in the cheap way the story could have been told in with not concentrating enough on the purge but more on the typical home invasion clich and adding the purge as some lame background thing but anyways this movie could have been made in any way whether crime was legal for 12 hours or not
½ July 23, 2016
Interesting premise if not formulaic production. Ethan Hawke & Lena Hedley play well but the movie is a tad predictable at times. However in this day and age of cinema when all movies play out pretty much the same, the purge is a refreshingly original premise, albeit playing against a twisted political narrative.
½ July 22, 2016
It's premise is interesting and sets for a lot of potential, but in the end, it ends up becoming a typical clich survival-semi-horror flick that distracts itself from what originally tried to be.
July 22, 2016
[2016-7-22] Stupid family
Tyler H.
July 21, 2016
The purge is one of the most hyped horror movies ever to date. The commercials and spots where great and the posters got us incredibly hyped to experience the purge. Its fresh concept all lured us in only for a short cliche horror film with its story mostly revolving around its jump scares. Using scares from the likes of Nightmare on Elm Street and even other thrillers this movie falls short on originality and ultimately just loses all credibility for its weak script and cheap scares. It should've score lower on RT at around 20%-23% a poor horror movie.