The Purge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purge Reviews

½ August 4, 2016
A faggot kid's autism caused his father's life. This is what will happen when you raised your son as daughter.
½ August 2, 2016
The concept is interesting but watch Purge Anarchy and Election Year instead
½ August 2, 2016
Although "The Purge" is a satisfying thrill-fest, coupled with an exciting and frightening concept, a purge seem to have taken its course on the screenwriters themselves for not delivering enough originality.
July 29, 2016
The premise behind "The Purge" is quite interesting and different.
Positives: "The Purge" and how it came to be.
Negatives: The I do not care if this family dies because I don't know anything about them to make me care.
July 25, 2016
The idea/ premise of this movie was really good. The story itself ws pretty meh. I agree with JT that this movie would have been better had they tried to take more of a solid suspense feel rather than a horror movie direction. Ethan Hawke is a good actor and did fine in this movie. Most of the acting was good except for the "main" villain. He was pretty weak. And for a horror, that's not a part that should be weak. I like the moral of the movie at the end. It is a scary idea that I could see how the movie could become a reality.
July 24, 2016
A friend of mine and I go to see a movie during work every year and this year (2016), he recommended that we go see "The Purge: Election Year". I told him that I hadn't seen any of the previous "Purge " movies and had no interest in seeing them. He convinced me that I should give them a chance so I decided to watch the first two movies.

"The Purge" was a huge disappointment. While the premise of the movie was mildly interesting, the characters in the movie were terribly written, cartoonish, and silly. I wasn't even remotely scared as there was no real tension in the movie. I like both Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey as actors but there talents were wasted in this movie.

This movie is a complete waste of time and after conveying my disappointment to my friend, he convinced me that the sequel was much better. I have decided to give it a chance to try and wipe "The Purge" shit sandwich out of my mind.
July 24, 2016
The Purge is enjoyable but really sadly it wastes its potential in the cheap way the story could have been told in with not concentrating enough on the purge but more on the typical home invasion cliché and adding the purge as some lame background thing but anyways this movie could have been made in any way whether crime was legal for 12 hours or not
½ July 23, 2016
Interesting premise if not formulaic production. Ethan Hawke & Lena Hedley play well but the movie is a tad predictable at times. However in this day and age of cinema when all movies play out pretty much the same, the purge is a refreshingly original premise, albeit playing against a twisted political narrative.
½ July 22, 2016
It's premise is interesting and sets for a lot of potential, but in the end, it ends up becoming a typical cliché survival-semi-horror flick that distracts itself from what originally tried to be.
July 22, 2016
[2016-7-22] Stupid family
Tyler H.
July 21, 2016
The purge is one of the most hyped horror movies ever to date. The commercials and spots where great and the posters got us incredibly hyped to experience the purge. Its fresh concept all lured us in only for a short cliche horror film with its story mostly revolving around its jump scares. Using scares from the likes of Nightmare on Elm Street and even other thrillers this movie falls short on originality and ultimately just loses all credibility for its weak script and cheap scares. It should've score lower on RT at around 20%-23% a poor horror movie.
July 20, 2016
I love the entertainment aspect of this movie. However, it does kind of show what society has turned into.
½ July 19, 2016
I can't imagine the characters of this movie being more annoying or stupid, it's pretty predicable, and not as inteligent as it wants to be. It's hard to believe that they made a franchise from this piece of garbage.
½ July 18, 2016
The acting in The Purge was garbage. The direction was garbage. The script was garbage. The idea was actually pretty awesome. An outstanding idea, but poorly put together. I wanted to give The Purge a better rating, because the idea could make an amazing thriller film. But I think 2.5 stars is a deserved rating for The Purge.
I just hope someone will reboot this garbage in the future and make a masterpiece.
½ July 18, 2016
The idea/premise, though is familiar, has been improved to the point that speculations will swim around your head as you think about it. With less gore but more violence and disturbing scenes, The Purge satisfies my need of an ingenious thriller-suspense movie for this year.
½ July 17, 2016
Had a new interesting idea, but could not seem to finish the way it should have been. Could have been amazing. I really do enjoy this plot idea, puts you in the middle of the movie.
jamrcla
July 16, 2016
Could of been very good but it turned out to be a predictable plot with allot of questions unanswered, A few annoying scenes, More of an action/thriller than a horror but it's something different and worth a look.
July 15, 2016
An interesting concept that was half baked and an unconvincing cast keeps The Purge from making an impact on the genre.
½ July 15, 2016
Great idea for a horror film. Unfortunately, it falls to those old horror tropes, like characters doing stupid things and having to put in a twist ending, even if it negates the rest of the film. Only good reason to watch is to understand the world set in the much better sequels.
½ July 13, 2016
America is now reborn, because of one night every year all crime is legal. Because of this crime rarely happens for the rest of the year. James Sadin and his family are put in danger when their son lets a man into their house, who is being hunted. Their family must decide whether to face the hunters or give them a stranger and become the monsters that they strive not to be. This movie tries to make an intelligent point about society, but ultimately fails when the movie becomes a simple home invasion thriller. Ethan Hawke does give a very good performance though and if you view The Purge as a simple home invasion thriller, it is a solid movie.