Reviews

• May 12, 2020

Another excellent Department Q installment. Probably the last which is a real shame. I think that while it covers serious subject matter from actual Danish history, it is an homage to lovers of the previous 3 films. I would recommend watching the first 3 before watching this one, just to get a feel for the excellent character development, especially of Detective Carl Mørck.

• Mar 23, 2020

Two workmen make an alarming discovery in an older Copenhagen apartment: hidden behind a false wall are three mummified corpses, sitting around a dining table with one empty seat left. The case quickly ends up on the desk of Detective Carl Mørck (Nikolaj Lie Kaas) and his assistant, Assad (Fares Fares), and it is up to them to figure out, who the mummies are as well as who the fourth seat is meant for. Carl and Assad put all effort in to finding the tenant of the apartment and they end up finding clues tracing back to the notorious institution for 'wayward' girls on the island of Sprogø, where extreme neglect and medical experiments in forced sterilization are a part of everyday life. Even though the horrors of Sprogø are a closed chapter in Danish history, there are now people claiming the experiments have continued to go on up until today. Carl and Assad start a race against time to prevent new murders and attacks from happening... This is the final film with Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Fares Fares as the detectives Carl Mörck and Assad and Department Q based on Jussi Adler-Olsen´s novels. "Journal 64" has a true story background that needs to be told and that adds of course to the development of the film and the characters. It´s a very atmospheric film with nice cinematography which makes lovely Copenhagen look dark and gritty. And we also get a proper and final joint development of the characters. This is however as said the last installment in the series involving Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Fares Fares and I have enjoyed all four films and I reckon I will miss Kaas and Fares in these roles. The roles will be taken over by Ulrich Thomsen as Carl Mørck and Zaki Youssef as Assad for the upcoming "Marco effekten" (2021).

• Jul 31, 2019

Got to see it for free to preview it and then bought tickets just so I could watch it again. Very emotional but totally awesome.

• Jul 06, 2019

Nail biting, enjoyable movie, all 4 stars

Nail biting, enjoyable movie, all 4 stars

• May 11, 2019

as always, scandinavian thrillers are solid entertainment.

as always, scandinavian thrillers are solid entertainment.

• Mar 03, 2019

• Feb 23, 2019

Excellent spin-off/follow-up of the TV series. Thoroughly entertaining, believable and occasionally funny.

• Jan 13, 2019

Great twists in storyline. Kept me engaged.

Great twists in storyline. Kept me engaged.