The Rape of Richard Beck Reviews

• Aug 23, 2014

Hardened and insensitive cop is demoted from homicide to the sex crimes unit and undergoes a transformation when he is sodomized by a couple thugs, forcing him to endure the humiliation from the victim's point of view. A tv film that delves into seldom seen topic of male rape. Crenna was nominated for two Golden Globes and won an Emmy for his performance here. Video distributors would go with more subtle titles 'Broken Badge' and 'Deadly Justice' over its original title 'The Rape of Richard Beck'.

• Jan 27, 2011

This made-for-TV movie was originally called THE RAPE OF RICHARD BECK. Guess they didn't think they could sell the DVD unless they changed it to a title that sounded like a bad Steven Segal movie. Anyway, I have wanted to see this movie - I'm sure it was controversial for its time (1985). Crenna - one of my favorite actors - does a great job as the raped cop, and I love that the movie does not over- sensationalize the subject. It's lean and to the point (though Meredith Baxter Birney is wasted as a volunteer working with rape victims - her role is more there to make pro-victim speeches than be a real person). Joanna Kern as his ex-wife is much more fleshed out. But kudos to Crenna who, I think, won an Emmy for this role.