The Rebel Set Reviews

Sylvester K Super Reviewer
    Mar 02, 2017

Defitnitely one of the worst heist films ever.

Defitnitely one of the worst heist films ever.

• Nov 01, 2014

Short plotted and odd at times, though not without some interesting characters and silly plot moments- perfect for MST3K. There are some drawn out action moments and some doomed to fail plot points, but what's to expect.

• Dec 25, 2013

This underground gem from Gene Fowler, Jr., more respected in the mainstream for editing than directing (he would be Oscar-nominated for editing It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in 1964), stars Edward Platt (equidistant from iconic turns as the detective in Rebel Without A Cause (1955) and "The Chief" in Get Smart (1965-70)) as Tucker, or (the original?) Mr. T, the erudite owner of a happening beatnik café who doubles as a nefarious mastermind. To read more of this review and watch a free stream of the flick head here: http://www.tvmix.com/gotta-watch-the-rebel-set-video/#more-2336

• Nov 18, 2011

As far as movies that Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed, this one wasn't that bad. Yes, it's a sub-par movie but there was nothing that terrible about it. I've seen worse acting in movies with bigger budgets. Overall just a very unexciting heist film.

• Oct 22, 2011

Totally unmemorable. But, hey, at least there were beatniks in this. Unlike in "The Beatniks."

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

This is probably the worst crime film ever. I don't know why it's alternative title is beatsville, the movie doesn't have anything to do with beatniks really. I didn't care for this movie, and I don't recommend it.

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Jul 02, 2010

Watching some of the old MST3K episodes available for streaming on Hulu and Netflix (there is a different random selection on each platform). Whether it is Joel or Mike watching these awful movies with the bots I do not envy their torture. Their snarky comments add some entertainment value, but my ratings are based on the movie's quality itself and not the commentary broadcast from the satellite of love. A better though still screwy representation of beatniks than The Beatniks the next year. A heist movie with a slow moving script, but shadowy locales and a loose knit team of rebels so loosely knit that it easily becomes every man for himself at the end.

• Jun 09, 2010

Ok, this is not about a set of rebels, this is about a set of criminals. There may be some beatniks in the beginning of the movie, but that's it. The movie is about a bank robbery. The title is really misleading!

• Dec 12, 2009

HUGE credit to Hulu for putting this MST3K episode online. The acting is subpar, the characters are largely unsympathetic/unlikable, the story is thinly layered at best. YAY!

• Jul 12, 2009

This film has some high points but is ultimately a B movie, robbery gone bad, adventure. Check out the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version for an enhanced viewing experience.