The Red Violin (Le violon rouge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Violin (Le violon rouge) Reviews

May 4, 2016
Amazing movie. Worth seeing.
March 26, 2016
Kind of plays on the whole cursed object idea. A musicians dream instrument...could be their ticket to greatness as well as their descent into madness. Beautifully Brilliant!
January 14, 2016
This movie could have been four starts if there was a better production team behind it. Totally jumped around way too much! Samuel Jackson was the worst casting imaginable! What a fail.
September 20, 2015
Close your eyes, enjoy the movie! A masterpiece!
August 21, 2015
This movie is one of my all time favorites. Not for children. It's a movie I love and have watched numerous times over the years.
August 9, 2015
Despite the fact that the soundtrack is done by Joshua Bell, this movie is still a jewel, with a superior story and absolutely fantastic score.
May 18, 2015
Nice watch but not as deep as the director was shooting for.
December 14, 2014
Watch this film with no distractions. Pay attention to all the subtle details and you will agree with the 5 stars.
December 10, 2014
Follows the lives of those who owned the red violin. From its maker to the auction block.
October 27, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie. It seemed long but I liked the story line.
½ August 21, 2014
Solid, but it lacked an agressive snatch toward genius
July 22, 2014
this was an interesting, at times ridiculous film. i think it did a good job of making us care about the violin and actually seeing it as a protagonist rather than the characters around it. but there was definitely a disparity between the quality of stories - some of them, like the story with the little boy with the heart problem, were actually touching, whereas other stories, like the one about the british violin player who could only compose during sex were laughable. in all i think this film was typically canadian, in that it had a single reveal which made the entire story make sense, but because it kept it from the audience for the majority of the film, we watched, not really understanding what was special about the violin or why it was linked to the fortune-teller's prediction. i think this film would have been more effective if it had a coherent story outside of the reveal, that would make watching the actual film a memorable experience, rather than just waiting for the moment when it all makes sense. also, even with samuel l jackson starring, this film still managed to retain that quintessentially canadian boringness/mundanity that permeates all their films.
May 18, 2014
A nice story overall, but a little too long and drawn out for my taste as I found myself awaiting the ending just to have it be over with. It was an interesting concept giving the background of what brought each of the potential buyers to have a connection to the instrument. Decent movie overall, but nothing I would really give my reccomendation to as a must see film.
May 13, 2014
I really enjoyed The Red violin. The symbols of the tarot cards and the color red of the violin, very interesting. Great storytelling.
April 4, 2014
An interesting story that could have been made much more interesting with more details for each story. Probably more suited for television than film.
½ March 24, 2014
This is an original, interesting film. The plot revolves around the history of a red violin. The cast is a nice ensemble and they bring the story to life. I would recommend this interesting drama.
March 23, 2014
I really appreciated the violin performances, but I found the different stories a bit underwhelming as it was hard to care about the characters. When a musical instrument is the star of the show and the actors play erm...second fiddle, there is a problem!
February 28, 2014
'The Red Violin (Le violon rouge)' (1998) features such dramatic undertones from all different geographical places in time. The film has such a luxuriously vibe that it can be
very connecting.
½ January 9, 2014
An interesting film with flaws, but I like it.