The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reluctant Fundamentalist Reviews

July 2, 2017
The film accurately portrays what happens when people stop believing in one anothers' humanity and see not individuals but strange and ominous "others." This has not only happened but also hardened in this country, making it impossible for people to relate to one another and have compassion for each other. Suspicion reigns in the film as it does in so many places. The heartless American firm that the main character works for is perhaps a bit too symbolic, embodying the impact of a society where winning and profit are priority; the girlfriend's story reveals how twisted our vision can become when our senses are dulled by substances. Much to think about here.
May 14, 2017
Kate Hudson ruined this for me. Which is a shame, because Riz Ahmed does a good job in this, considering the plot leaves much to be desired
May 9, 2017
Oh we get it, the Yanks didn't like it? Doh!
March 16, 2017
Thought provoking - Gives many different angles to this powerful topic - post 9/11 - Riz Ahmed played a great part as Changez giving a strong message about the pressures of war & life challenges throughout - A must see Movie
½ November 30, 2016
The Reluctant Fundamentalist is a decent film. It is about young Pakistani man who is chasing corporate success on Wall Street. Riz Ahmed and Liev Schriber give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Mira Nair did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
October 19, 2016
Interesting plot : the clash of two very different cultures and great acting make this movie a sure entertainment.
June 28, 2016
I read the book first and then wondered how and why anybody would even try to capture the quirky compelling style and enigmatic story in a film. So I watched it out of curiosity. Nice try but the book is in an entirely different league - so read the book (especially if you didn't understand or enjoy the film) - I don't think the film constitutes a significant spoiler to the book. One point of interest: in the opening sequences of the film, one of the protagonists is driven around Lahore and while passing the Lahore Museum there is a brief image of a huge cannon. This is Zamzama or "Kim's gun" because it features in the novel "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling. "Kim" is (I think) one of the earliest spy novels. By glimpsing Zamzama, director Mira Nair not only acknowledges Kipling but, as Zamzama is represented by Kimpling as a symbol of the historic strife in the region, also reminds us that Lahore has been a centre for intrigue and espionage for centuries - and continues to be so.
May 4, 2016
Truly a deeply global post 9-11 world reflection & gem that treats it's viewers to details, facts & considerations they normally don't get in Mainstream Media. The film has excellent acting & depth (Ahmed & Schreiber, among others). It is richly filmed and subtly weaves it's story by touching on a range of perspectives revolving around the central character's post 9-11 Odyssey.
½ March 23, 2016
Riz Ahmed is brilliant but I'm glad I didn't waste my time reading the book. Kinda clichéd. I can't stand Liev Schreiber either, really annoying face. This is all just way to wet and obvious. The romance didn't convince. Sutherland has a role in the next Wall St..he was excellent. Best scenes are without doubt those that show his treatment post 9/11 and particularly the airport scene that just felt painfully plausible given how dumb and aggressive US border control are.
March 4, 2016
An apologetic critic of how the west predetermines the character of those from the east.
½ February 27, 2016
Incredible performances, particularly by the riveting Riz Ahmed, but marred by unclear messaging, which is most jarringly showcased in the final shot of the film - a reaction shot of Liev Schreiber that is bizarrely out of synch with the rest of the scene. Worth watching for the sense of place and strong acting, but the full item is less than sum of its parts.
November 25, 2015
Thought-provoking despite cheesy.
July 31, 2015
The trailer was better than this movie. I wasn't feeling it.
July 19, 2015
See how the dream of a Pakistani evolved in U.S. and broke after 9/11. See how the color of one's life faded when it was time to take side. A good story, lots of dialogue but never boring.
July 10, 2015
This film is full of Indian actors. Rarely seen are Pakistani actors as well as most of the movie scenes are in India. There is a wealth of talented Pakistani actors and limitless areas of Pakistan that could have been the back drop for the scenes. Very few actual shots of Pakistan in the film.
Harlequin68
June 29, 2015
In "The Reluctant Fundamentalist," Anse Rainier(Gary Richardson), an American university professor, has been kidnapped in Lahore, Pakistan. Bobby Lincoln(Liev Schreiber), a journalist, has a lead in Changez(Riz Ahmed), a professor with supposed ties to local militants. Changez agrees to talk to Bobby but insists at starting at the beginning, like his being recruited out of Princeton University at Underwood Samson, a top investment firm, by Jim Cross(Kiefer Sutherland, perhaps doing penance for playing America's favorite crypto-fascist) in 2000.

"The Reluctant Fundamentalist" take great aims to show the world is not that simple, while being very critical of both rampant capitalism and fundamentalism and keenly exploring notions of identity in the post 9/11 world. So much so, that the movie lacks any sense of urgency which is a definite problem concerning its framing device. Look, I could listen to Riz Ahmed and Liev Schreiber shoot the breeze all day, but we really don't need to hear Changez talk so much about him having hot, sweaty sex with his artist girlfriend Erica(Kate Hudson)..........ok, maybe just a little.
April 1, 2015
Reasonably thoughtful, moderately engaging material dealing with some thorny issues. It may be a catalyst for intelligent conversation, which is more than you can say for most movies.
March 7, 2015
An interesting movie about how circumstances make the person. I've never been one to believe that we don't have choices. That we can't choose to rise above circumstances and while this movie didn't completely change my mind, I see and understand the perspective. Very good movie.
February 21, 2015
Too slow and boring for me.
February 12, 2015
The main character was charismatic