The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reluctant Fundamentalist Reviews

October 19, 2016
Interesting plot : the clash of two very different cultures and great acting make this movie a sure entertainment.
June 28, 2016
I read the book first and then wondered how and why anybody would even try to capture the quirky compelling style and enigmatic story in a film. So I watched it out of curiosity. Nice try but the book is in an entirely different league - so read the book (especially if you didn't understand or enjoy the film) - I don't think the film constitutes a significant spoiler to the book. One point of interest: in the opening sequences of the film, one of the protagonists is driven around Lahore and while passing the Lahore Museum there is a brief image of a huge cannon. This is Zamzama or "Kim's gun" because it features in the novel "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling. "Kim" is (I think) one of the earliest spy novels. By glimpsing Zamzama, director Mira Nair not only acknowledges Kipling but, as Zamzama is represented by Kimpling as a symbol of the historic strife in the region, also reminds us that Lahore has been a centre for intrigue and espionage for centuries - and continues to be so.
May 4, 2016
Truly a deeply global post 9-11 world reflection & gem that treats it's viewers to details, facts & considerations they normally don't get in Mainstream Media. The film has excellent acting & depth (Ahmed & Schreiber, among others). It is richly filmed and subtly weaves it's story by touching on a range of perspectives revolving around the central character's post 9-11 Odyssey.
½ March 23, 2016
Riz Ahmed is brilliant but I'm glad I didn't waste my time reading the book. Kinda clichéd. I can't stand Liev Schreiber either, really annoying face. This is all just way to wet and obvious. The romance didn't convince. Sutherland has a role in the next Wall St..he was excellent. Best scenes are without doubt those that show his treatment post 9/11 and particularly the airport scene that just felt painfully plausible given how dumb and aggressive US border control are.
March 4, 2016
An apologetic critic of how the west predetermines the character of those from the east.
½ February 27, 2016
Incredible performances, particularly by the riveting Riz Ahmed, but marred by unclear messaging, which is most jarringly showcased in the final shot of the film - a reaction shot of Liev Schreiber that is bizarrely out of synch with the rest of the scene. Worth watching for the sense of place and strong acting, but the full item is less than sum of its parts.
November 25, 2015
Thought-provoking despite cheesy.
July 31, 2015
The trailer was better than this movie. I wasn't feeling it.
July 19, 2015
See how the dream of a Pakistani evolved in U.S. and broke after 9/11. See how the color of one's life faded when it was time to take side. A good story, lots of dialogue but never boring.
July 10, 2015
This film is full of Indian actors. Rarely seen are Pakistani actors as well as most of the movie scenes are in India. There is a wealth of talented Pakistani actors and limitless areas of Pakistan that could have been the back drop for the scenes. Very few actual shots of Pakistan in the film.
June 29, 2015
In "The Reluctant Fundamentalist," Anse Rainier(Gary Richardson), an American university professor, has been kidnapped in Lahore, Pakistan. Bobby Lincoln(Liev Schreiber), a journalist, has a lead in Changez(Riz Ahmed), a professor with supposed ties to local militants. Changez agrees to talk to Bobby but insists at starting at the beginning, like his being recruited out of Princeton University at Underwood Samson, a top investment firm, by Jim Cross(Kiefer Sutherland, perhaps doing penance for playing America's favorite crypto-fascist) in 2000.

"The Reluctant Fundamentalist" take great aims to show the world is not that simple, while being very critical of both rampant capitalism and fundamentalism and keenly exploring notions of identity in the post 9/11 world. So much so, that the movie lacks any sense of urgency which is a definite problem concerning its framing device. Look, I could listen to Riz Ahmed and Liev Schreiber shoot the breeze all day, but we really don't need to hear Changez talk so much about him having hot, sweaty sex with his artist girlfriend Erica(Kate Hudson)..........ok, maybe just a little.
April 1, 2015
Reasonably thoughtful, moderately engaging material dealing with some thorny issues. It may be a catalyst for intelligent conversation, which is more than you can say for most movies.
March 7, 2015
An interesting movie about how circumstances make the person. I've never been one to believe that we don't have choices. That we can't choose to rise above circumstances and while this movie didn't completely change my mind, I see and understand the perspective. Very good movie.
February 21, 2015
Too slow and boring for me.
February 12, 2015
The main character was charismatic
½ January 3, 2015
I found this to be a average movie. It is long and too slow at some point. The movie gives a perspective of Americans post 9/11 and how one deals with his inner self. Not so convincing.
December 21, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable. Thought-provoking at many levels. The next book on the reading list.
October 26, 2014
Intelligent thriller that doesn't delve as deep as it should. Hits upon interesting themes but leaves them up in the air. Nevertheless, good entertaining movie that was sadly overlooked by the masses. Great adaptation.
September 17, 2014
what a great movie with great actors. and film is a little slow in the beginning but once it picks up it is over powering drama of a princeton graduated foreign (Pakistan)student, post 9/11 who world is completely turned upside down after 9/11 and how the tragedies of his own country with pressure him to do or not to do the thinkable.
September 15, 2014
This film covers prejudice, stereotypes & hypocrisy. A different perspective to a horrible event.Well written superbly acted.