The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone Reviews

May 31, 2017
Great little movie with a solid story and cast - I love how it portrays a thriving, modern, Christ-centered church and the sinful / imperfect people who are in it - including the main character. Love the humor which if hard to get right. Looking forward to many more!
May 26, 2017
I read an article awhile back that suggested that LOVE ACTUALLY killed the dependable Romcom formula. I can report that the genre has been resurrected here as a meet-cute with Christian overtones (distributed by the WWE?!). There's nothing new here and nobody will threaten any awards show rosters but people didn't go see the old Romcoms because of the variety. With the old school Romcoms, you know what you liked and you got it over and here. You know what will happen before you walk in but that's part of the charm. The familiar rhythms are all here - arrogant bad boy meets emotionally-wounded good girl, they get off to a rocky start, hijinks ensue, he begins to win her over but just when things are looking up... you know the drill.

What's interesting about this treatment is how earnest this cast is with such a cheesy script. It's adorable. I watched this with my wife and she declared it to be better than most of my movie picks. As Christian films go, it's not a 'faith-based' film. I say that as praise.

This film does a good job of portraying Christians we see ourselves - earnest, a little square, good-hearted if largely talentless, trying to demonstrate the Grace we claim to believe in. I particularly liked the early scenes where Gavin tries to look and sound Christian using bits and pieces of Christianese he's picked up from old movies and pop culture assumptions. He looked as awkward taking the elements as Donald Trump putting a fiver in the Communion plate.

Bottom line - it's just a Christian Romcom the way they used to make them. This was an utterly unremarkable and completely formulaic film of a sort they don't really make anymore. We had a good time. Sometimes the old forms are best.
May 25, 2017
A surprisingly good movie.
The fact that it was good is what was surprising, not just that it was better than the usual "Christian movie" drudgery.
It wasn't flawless, some scenes felt like filler, or maybe just bridges to get to where the director was trying to get to, and some of the acting was a bit forced.
However, I laughed. I mean: honestly, I laughed at some of the parts. I also felt some weight and connection to Gavin, and I'll admit I got a lump in my throat a couple times.
I want to see this again, and I can't recall if I have EVER wanted to sit through a "Christian movie" twice before in my life. -in fact I usually feel like I just wasted time I could have spent filing my toenails or watching paint dry.
Well done. I will look for what Jenkins comes out with next with some anticipation.
May 21, 2017
Loved it! Awesome film!
May 21, 2017
it was a good movie, Shawn Michaels was good in acting as well apart from the wrestling area.
May 15, 2017
An excellent picture conveying realistic experiences of heroes. Brett Dalton's stunning play strengthens the impression of the death of the "narcissus" and the resurrection of the present Gavin.
May 14, 2017
a great feel good movie that leaves you smiling.
½ May 7, 2017
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone is a clean, comedic movie with few surprises but enough fun and heart to make it worth viewing at least once.
May 5, 2017
An incredibly authentic and genuine movie that is funny and entertaining.
½ April 25, 2017
decent Christian movie. vertical church partnered with wwe studios to produce this Christian flick starting Shawn Michaels as a support. it makes fun of christians a number of times that shows they aren't afraid to make light of themselves and had me laughing a couple of times. overall not one of the best Christian movies even though that list is not very long to begin with.
April 21, 2017
Excellent movie! Finally a movie you can enjoy watching with your family that will bring laughter and tears!!!
April 8, 2017
This was a fun movie to watch. Great story yet very lighthearted.
April 7, 2017
This movie proves just how wonderful it is to be a Christian!
½ March 3, 2017
Movie was a great christian comedy that makes you laugh and has a great message as well.
February 12, 2017
This is a great family film. I would like them see more like this.
February 7, 2017
Really good feel good movie. Go see it!
February 5, 2017
The response to this movie by the professional critics as opposed to the audience score is typical of their review of any faith based film. The secular "critics" have a mindset that is so skewed, so corrupt, so debauched, so sickening evil that they are incapable of reviewing anything with any objectivity. This has been illustrated over and over again. For example the reviews of Mom's Night Out vs. Bad Moms, etc.,etc.,etc.. Look at the trash put out by the sleazy, secular media over the last 50 years and then look at the statistics that indicate social pathology over the same time period. It is frightening. The liberal media is corrupting this once great nation. Ask "Madison Avenue" if the media can influence behavior. They bet billions on it every year. Wake up America!
February 4, 2017
So refreshing to see a movie like this. Displays the lucrative, flashy things the world offers us that eventually lead to dead ends compared to the eternal joy that Jesus offers us. Good message about second, and even third, chances. Themes of redemption, forgiveness, reconciliation, and mercy. The film tied together nicely with the play at the end. Moments of excellent acting, especially by Dalton. Definitely some surprises. Also shows how the grace of God is transformative. I wish there were more movies like this being made. I love that there was no sex, nudity, profanity, or violence in the film.
½ February 4, 2017
the ending part was especially good
February 4, 2017
I gave The Resurrection of Gavin Stone 5 Stars! This is an enjoyable movie for the whole family. It was laugh-out-loud funny and had me shedding a few tears as well. The story was very good and all of the acting was excellent. Just an overall great movie that everyone will like! And with all of the political craziness going on in our world today, The Resurrection of Gavin Stone is the perfect remedy! Go see this movie! You'll be glad you did!