The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone Reviews

½ September 29, 2017
Typically have low expectations for similar films in this genre, but this one was a pleasant surprise. This one is worth the rental fee!
September 16, 2017
It had a fairly predictiable outcome but it was challenging to watch as a Christian. The extra scenes were also interesting and challenging.
½ September 5, 2017
Good picture. It is a religious Christian movie, so be warned. Worth the time and effort to watch.
July 13, 2017
Great film. Brett Dalton was very good. Well acted movie all around. Hard movie to critique because I liked it so much.
July 12, 2017
better than what I thought after seeing the reviews. I enjoyed this movie.
July 7, 2017
Excellent movie! Well acted and a great story
July 5, 2017
this movie should have been given 5 stars. not bad words and no nudity! great christian movie !
½ July 4, 2017
Good one to see once
May 31, 2017
Great little movie with a solid story and cast - I love how it portrays a thriving, modern, Christ-centered church and the sinful / imperfect people who are in it - including the main character. Love the humor which if hard to get right. Looking forward to many more!
May 26, 2017
I read an article awhile back that suggested that LOVE ACTUALLY killed the dependable Romcom formula. I can report that the genre has been resurrected here as a meet-cute with Christian overtones (distributed by the WWE?!). There's nothing new here and nobody will threaten any awards show rosters but people didn't go see the old Romcoms because of the variety. With the old school Romcoms, you know what you liked and you got it over and here. You know what will happen before you walk in but that's part of the charm. The familiar rhythms are all here - arrogant bad boy meets emotionally-wounded good girl, they get off to a rocky start, hijinks ensue, he begins to win her over but just when things are looking up... you know the drill.

What's interesting about this treatment is how earnest this cast is with such a cheesy script. It's adorable. I watched this with my wife and she declared it to be better than most of my movie picks. As Christian films go, it's not a 'faith-based' film. I say that as praise.

This film does a good job of portraying Christians we see ourselves - earnest, a little square, good-hearted if largely talentless, trying to demonstrate the Grace we claim to believe in. I particularly liked the early scenes where Gavin tries to look and sound Christian using bits and pieces of Christianese he's picked up from old movies and pop culture assumptions. He looked as awkward taking the elements as Donald Trump putting a fiver in the Communion plate.

Bottom line - it's just a Christian Romcom the way they used to make them. This was an utterly unremarkable and completely formulaic film of a sort they don't really make anymore. We had a good time. Sometimes the old forms are best.
May 25, 2017
A surprisingly good movie.
The fact that it was good is what was surprising, not just that it was better than the usual "Christian movie" drudgery.
It wasn't flawless, some scenes felt like filler, or maybe just bridges to get to where the director was trying to get to, and some of the acting was a bit forced.
However, I laughed. I mean: honestly, I laughed at some of the parts. I also felt some weight and connection to Gavin, and I'll admit I got a lump in my throat a couple times.
I want to see this again, and I can't recall if I have EVER wanted to sit through a "Christian movie" twice before in my life. -in fact I usually feel like I just wasted time I could have spent filing my toenails or watching paint dry.
Well done. I will look for what Jenkins comes out with next with some anticipation.
May 21, 2017
Loved it! Awesome film!
May 21, 2017
it was a good movie, Shawn Michaels was good in acting as well apart from the wrestling area.
May 15, 2017
An excellent picture conveying realistic experiences of heroes. Brett Dalton's stunning play strengthens the impression of the death of the "narcissus" and the resurrection of the present Gavin.
May 14, 2017
a great feel good movie that leaves you smiling.
½ May 7, 2017
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone is a clean, comedic movie with few surprises but enough fun and heart to make it worth viewing at least once.
May 5, 2017
An incredibly authentic and genuine movie that is funny and entertaining.
½ April 25, 2017
decent Christian movie. vertical church partnered with wwe studios to produce this Christian flick starting Shawn Michaels as a support. it makes fun of christians a number of times that shows they aren't afraid to make light of themselves and had me laughing a couple of times. overall not one of the best Christian movies even though that list is not very long to begin with.
April 21, 2017
Excellent movie! Finally a movie you can enjoy watching with your family that will bring laughter and tears!!!
April 8, 2017
This was a fun movie to watch. Great story yet very lighthearted.