The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) (1983) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) (1983)

TOMATOMETER

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) Videos

The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) Photos

Movie Info

This film is set in France during the Hundred Years' War. Imagining herself a widow, Nathalie Baye is astonished when her husband Gerard Depardieu returns after nine years. However, Nathalie and neighbors suspect that Depardieu is an imposter -- especially since he's become a much nicer person.

Cast

Critic Reviews for The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre)

All Critics (9)

Compelling romantic mystery drama, well acted by Gerard Depardieu and Natalie Baye; stay away from the American remake, Sommersby

Full Review… | July 21, 2011
EmanuelLevy.Com

A brilliant, engaging love story with magnificent performances

December 29, 2005
Atlantic City Weekly

Fascinating tale; inspiration for "Sommersby"

March 29, 2003
Kalamazoo Gazette

A marvellous and haunting work.

July 26, 2002
Urban Cinefile

Audience Reviews for The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre)

(****): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Interesting throughout. Fine cast and direction.

TTT C
TTT C
½

Watched this in French class. A really great story that keeps you questioning, and pretty good acting. Something about it seemed put together weird, maybe it was just missing that extra something. It was still good and a great, even if predictable, ending. B:fresh:

Travis Hardy
Travis Hardy

We watched this movie in my French history class and I loved it. We also read a book about Martin Guerre, and it was extremely interesting. The whole concept and whole history surrounding Martin Guerre really intrigues me. This movie was extremely well acted and the story was great. I definitely recommend it.

Sonya L
Sonya L

The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Return of Martin Guerre (Le Retour de Martin Guerre) on our Movie forum!

News & Features