The Rig - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rig Reviews

July 22, 2015
This is a ridiculous movie that is entertaining enough to watch for the cheesiness.
February 12, 2015
While "The Rig" is a laughable low-budget film, it's actually very entertaining to watch while living on the movie's location! I'm staying on the Charlie rig for training, and it was really cool to see all the nooks and crannies of the rig used for a c-movie horror film. Can't wait to show the other guys on the rig!
½ December 27, 2013
Kinda cheesy. The music was terrible. But alot was unexplained. But pretty decent anyhow.
August 13, 2013
Pretty scary. Reminds me of Alien series. It even had a sign in the movie that said Weyland.
½ August 13, 2013
Just another harmless low budget horror which passes the time without offending, but lacks the credentials for a high praise review. Simple premise - workers become stranded on oil rig amidst a storm, weird mutated sea creature somehow gets on board........... And then people die! The biggest compliment I can pay this film is that it didn't show the full extent of the creature, knowing from the snippets we did get was that it was because the beast was a terrible attempt to be some scary sea being. My attention was always maintained throughout in the hope that a little more of the beast would be revealed, and as with all horror films, you always want to know how it all ends and who survives. Unfortunately though, no gore or excitement really develops, although admittedly the attacks were quite sudden and unexpected which took me by surprise on a couple of occasions, but thankfully they weren't terrifying enough to cause a bit of wee to seep out. At the end of the day, this will be a bit of a forgotten entity now because as entertaining as it was for 90 minutes, it is no different to any other run of the mill creature flick, and certainly not worth recommending ........ well not to anyone I like anyway!
July 8, 2013
Or to quote 'Mambo No. 5': 'A little bit of Alien, a little bit of Aliens, a little bit of The Abyss, a little bit of Terminator, a little bit of Predator and a little bit of Jurassic Park'!!!!!! Its essentially a best of of all the films listed above but done by a really shit wedding band. The premise whilst not original, combined with the location could have been a solid little low budget horror/thriller instead its only worth watching whilst your doing the ironing.
May 19, 2013
not bad, every interesting
March 31, 2013
awsome never seen anything like it.
March 11, 2013
Damn the location could be a great setting for a horror film if done properly. Unfortunately this is very low budget stuff, guy in a suit for the monster! Another missed opportunity. Ghost Rig was slightly better but not by much.
½ March 9, 2013
Even with a low budget, you'd still think they could create a better monster.
½ December 30, 2012
I won't say much the only thing I will say is it wasn't a bad movie and I didnt like it..
DrStrangeblog
September 9, 2012
25 years ago, Once Upon A Time In America wowed many critics with its depiction of 1920's New York. Robert DeNiro and James Woods continued to garner accolades as two of the movies' finest actors. Danny Aiello and Joe Pesci made the most of their small roles as stepping stones to greater fame. Meanwhile, William "Cockeye" Forsythe has had to take parts in not one but TWO action vehicles for ex-football players (Firestorm and Stone Cold) among his many B-C-and-D list credits just to stay in the business. Nothing against the guy, I'm sure it keeps his car on the road. But wow, this one he picked sure is a stinker!

Talk about a lot of nothin' going on! This thing moves slower than tickets for a Spice Girls reunion concert. The original music score is written on a Wagner-like timescale, moaning along during what seems like 90% of the running time which I realized was a ploy to try and distract from the complete lack of action or drama onscreen. Desperate for content, they even include flashbacks to scenes that happened 2 minutes earlier! Dan Benson is so terrible in his mercifully small role that he obviously got the job because his brother/cousin/relative James Benson wrote the script, and as part of that allowance he had to wear the monster costume too - no joke!

There are about one-and-a-half scares to be found, the rest is a lopsided battle with boredom.
September 9, 2012
One star for some decent gore and men in rubber suits as creatures and a few OK sets... nothing good can be said about the rest, this film takes the awesome concept of people stuck on an oil rig surviving against a creature and just fails, falls completely flat, its dull, boring and feels extremely amateur and cheaply made. the creatures may be decent at best, but their scenes are poorly staged, too dark and shaky, also to add that the jumpy editing doesn't help.... damn irritating.

The idea of being stuck on an oil rig and unleashing some type of creature is a concept I love to bits, sadly seems not many films have pulled it off into a decent film... with the exception of "Megalodon" and "Proteus", I have hated every single other attempt so far... shame.
½ August 17, 2012
Low budget creature feature with piss poor direction, acting and dialogue, I was hoping everyone would die.
June 29, 2012
Good production, bad acting.
May 13, 2012
Entertaining, but just about as trite as you can get.
½ May 3, 2012
Heard of B movies, this was a C movie. -__-
TheDudeLebowski65
March 10, 2012
The Rig is a mediocre low-budget monster flick that had so much potential in being a good film. Unfortunately by using every cliché in the book, the filmmakers create a film that is quite forgettable. I'm all for cheesy B movie low-budget monster flicks. However, The Rig is one of those films that just doesn't deliver on its interesting concept. Director Peter Atencio doesn't seem to have a clue to properly create a good monster flick. I mean this idea that he uses for his film has been done before, and making a film with the same old formula can be effective, but not with this film. The film started off well enough, unfortunately, about thirty minutes in, the film started to fall apart, and the film simply didn't deliver on its interesting idea. I thought a monster flick set on an oil rig was a pretty cool idea, but the script had too many flaws. The ideas were good, but the execution was poor. I was pretty disappointed in this film as I thought it could have been such a fun monster flick, unfortunately the film uses tired out overused clichés, mix that with cheap looking special effects. The Rig is a bad film that had so much potential. Maybe if the film had a bigger budget, a reworked script it could have been a good flick. The Rig is a film that I can't recommend, however if you enjoy bad to mediocre B movies, then give it a shot. Other horror fans would do best to skip out on this one.
½ February 11, 2012
Cheapish situational creature horror that feels similar to plenty of other films, just not done anywhere near as well.